HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:15 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Phoenix Sim DX5e Mono Jack Adapter Solutions: RS Mono Adapter will work!

Edit: Post #8 shows how to make the Radio Shack's stereo to mono jack adapter work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read a few requests for a source for the DX5e mono jack adapter for the Phoenix sim dongle. Apparently this item is not available at this time, so here is an alternative solution.

Make a new port for the OEM Phoenix sim dongle with an 1/8" panel mount female mono jack. They are available at RS.

Follow the pictures and you should be able to figure out the wiring. If you are not sure of anything, please ask!

Here is the catch, just the two wires (black and red) will not turn the Tx on when the Sim's dongle stereo plug is plugged in. Picture #10 shows the two solder pads that need to be jumped in order for the Tx to turn on and allow the Sim to recognize the Tx.

There are two ways you can jump these two solder pads.

The easy way is to stick any mono phone plug (like this one) into the trainer/sim port. This mechanically jumps the two solder pads.

A better/cleaner way would be to wire a SPST switch to jump these two solder pads. The switch can be mounted in the hole in front of where the new sim port is located. (pic. #2). Just make sure you get one that will fit the hole in the Tx.

I couldn't find a SPST switch in my junk box, so there is no picture of that, but hopefully I'll get a picture of that soon.

Final Note: I've tested this mod and it works, but! I'm not an expert! Do this at your own risk.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Dec 29, 2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: changed #10 pic and description.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2009, 08:26 AM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
I actually was considering moving the trainer port on my DX5e.

If those two solder points were not orginally jumpered, after being jumpered, will the DX5e still work as a stand alone transmitter?

My guess is that it will not work, the end of the factory trainer port appears to route power off of the 2.4 module and simply supply power to the board pots for the sticks, lights, beeper, etc. This event occurs when the mono plug is inserted into the trainer port.

I suppose one could wire it as you have, but instead of soldering a jumper or installing a spst switch, you could take a mono plug, cut down the rubber end, add a string loop and then plug it into the original trainer port. This would supply power to the pots and would enable one to remove the plug in order to use the DX5e as a transmitter.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Last edited by Obake; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:03 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
My guess is that it will not work,
The mod does work. I've tested it.
Quote:
...the end of the factory trainer port appears to route power off of the 2.4 module and simply supply power to the board pots for the sticks, lights, beeper, etc. This event occurs when the mono plug is inserted into the trainer port.
The above is essentially correct. My understanding is, whether it's a trainer cord or a Sim dongle that is plugged into the trainer port, the Tx will not "transmit" a radio (ppm?) signal. (unless the main power switch is turned on.) Instead, the ppm signal is routed to the trainer port, which the dongle/computer/sim receives. This is also how the DX5e Tx is used as either as a Master (main power on), or a slave (main power off) when the trainer cord is attached.

In my first post I mentioned two methods of jumping the two solder pads. Both of which is reversible via either a switch or plugging or unplugging a mono plug. I did not nor would I suggest soldering a wire jumper directly. (perhaps the picture is misleading, I'll fix that). This will turn on the Tx and the only way to turn it off would be to take the batteries out.

The best solution would be to source a female jack that has a built in switch that could jump the dongle stereo plug base to a third pole. I'm thinking that the female Stereo jack may be modded to function this way. (first one in the pic below).

KC

Edit: Thanks for you input Comm69. It go me thinking some more.
Last edited by KC; Dec 26, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:30 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Found a couple of 1/8" stereo female jacks at RS.

I'll try one of these and see if the second switch on the stereo femal jack can be used.

KC
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
Not talking about the mod not working but will the TX still work as a field TX if you have those two points on the board shorted together?

It is too bad that the trainer port is where it is, does not make much sense to me for the port to be where it is. Your mod is interesting and I am tinkering with doing this to my TX as well.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Last edited by Obake; Dec 26, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:56 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Not talking about the mod not working but will the TX still work as a field TX if you have those two points on the board shorted together?
Yes, with the two solder points shorted together, the Tx will work as a field Tx. when the main switch is slid into the ON position.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:57 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
RS Stereo Jack can be modded to work with the OEM dongle stereo plug.

Ok, I managed to modify the RS panel mount female stereo jack to work with the OEM Sim Dongle Stereo plug. It was a pain in the butt, but at least it can be done.

The attached pics should show how. It's a little involved.

Bottom line, this mod works, but this mod would be heck of a lot easier if there was an 1/8" panel mounted female stereo like jack that has a switched base.

All the jacks I've seen have the switched tip.

KC

Edit: Without the Sim dongle plugged in, the Tx works normally.

Also, the solution posted in the OP is not a bad solution either. It's simpler.
Last edited by KC; Dec 27, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:22 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
I"ve read in this thread (post #5 and 6) that the RS stereo to mono adapter would not work as a replacement for the OEM HH Phoenix sim mono adapter of the the DX5e, but OP'er of that thread was wrong.

The RS stereo to mono adapter ($2.69) will work on the DX5e. The RS site shows "out of stock", but there were several at the local RS store.

All that is needed for the RS adapter to work is to enlarge the hole of the trainer/sim port on the DX5e (about 1-2mm) so that the RS adapter will seat all the way into the port. Everything works exactly like it does with the HH OEM mono adapter.

KC

Edit: If you do the "Move the Port" mod, the extra length of the RS adapter won't be a problem. And no holes have to enlarged.
Last edited by KC; Dec 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5 Posts
Easy way to fix the mono adapter:

1. Pull off the metal ring opposite the mail connector that the phoenix usb cable attachment plugs into. it should come out easily

2. You will see a small metal wire that is supposed to make contact with the metal piece that you just removed. If it does not make contact, the adapter will not work. Use a fine pick to pull the small metal wire away from the side.

3. Push the metal ring back into place and the adapter should work
dogg1 is offline Find More Posts by dogg1
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:22 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Hi dogg1, I think I know what you are describing and it seems to be a plausible fix. Comm69 posted these pics below, reporting that his OEM mono adapter was defective.

Thanks for your input.

KC
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:07 AM
The Addiction has began...
Piketon, Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
229 Posts
KC it sure does work!!! The RS adapter works fine on a DX5e, just have to open the hole up to allow the adapter to fit into the female connector on the DX5e! Thanks for addressing this as I have been weeks trying to find a solution!!!

Dave
TheOldGuard is offline Find More Posts by TheOldGuard
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:18 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
You are welcome and thanks for the feedback, Dave! I'm glad to see that at least one person found this thread useful.

Do you think you may try the "Port Relocation" mod at some point? It really does make it easier to hold the Tx. with the sim port on top. (especially with the mono adapter sticking out like the way it does.)

KC
Last edited by KC; Dec 30, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:57 PM
The Addiction has began...
Piketon, Ohio
Joined Dec 2009
229 Posts
KC I really don't plan to relocate it at this time! Sure would be nice to NOT have it sticking out the way it is though! I appreciate you taking the time to help this old fella out! I was able to pass this info along to someone else as well and it hopefully helped them out as well!

Dave
TheOldGuard is offline Find More Posts by TheOldGuard
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2004
98 Posts
what size drill do you have to use open up the hole,also would RS part 274-882 work.
thanks bob [incidentally I brought this up in may 2008 and never got it resolved,
although I am probably going to sell my phoenix sim.]
oc500 is offline Find More Posts by oc500
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:30 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Yes, the RS part 274-882 will work. That is a 1/8" stereo to mono adapter.

I'm not sure what size drill to use to enlarge the port hole, but you could always do some tests on thin plyboard or similar.

If you can solder, maybe the "port relocation" would be better to do. (no drilling involved)

KC