HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by feathermerchant, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:21 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
That depends on the supply. It could be quite lengthy. The circuit boards are mounted to the chassis on metal standoffs which all could serve as grounds. Several grommets could be used to isolate the board. Do you want to buy a pair and experiment?
Seriously considering it. I'm still trying to determine if the physical size will fit in my charging box; I think two will fit if I stand them up on their short side, side-by-side. Placed that way, the width and length are definitely OK; the height is the only question. The current MeanWell SE-600-24 supply I have is 63.5mm high and the 47A supplies are 76.2mm (3") standing on end. 12.7mm isn't all that much extra height.

Not surprisingly, I discovered that my 600W MeanWell just can't handle my DUO3+ charging two 6S 5300 packs (each two 2650 packs in parallel) at 2C and my DUO2 charging one 6S 6000 pack (two 6S 3000 packs in parallel) at about 1C. I need something that can deliver at least 1000W @ 24V. Two 47A supplies would do the trick with a little overhead. 42A would barely be enough, but the dimensions don't work.
TheBum is online now Find More Posts by TheBum
Last edited by TheBum; Dec 04, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:49 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,321 Posts
The handles on the end of the 47 are removeable as are the red latches if that helps.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Dec 04, 2010, 08:01 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
The handles on the end of the 47 are removeable as are the red latches if that helps.
I knew the latches were, from the earlier discussions. I suspected the handles were too.

Are the fans really that noisy? I wonder if they could be replaced with something more silent but with the same air moving capability. The fan in the MeanWell is fairly loud.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:36 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,321 Posts
If you want quiet fans, I have a couple of supplies that look almost identical ut the fans seem to be thermostatically controlled like on the 42's. I hav tested a pair this summer when it was 114deg on the table due tothe metal shed roof radiating heat. They did not burn up. Anyway in each order of 100 supplies orso there might be 3 or 4 of tese 'Q' modelsas I call them. If you want them you can buy them.
If you open the case and do electrical mods I cannot replace them with like models as they are the only 2 I have.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:01 AM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
If you want quiet fans, I have a couple of supplies that look almost identical ut the fans seem to be thermostatically controlled like on the 42's.
You said "almost identical". Are the dimensions the same? If so, I would be interested.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:32 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
In Gregor's setup, I assume that the cases would still have to be isolated since the DC negative is connected to the case. How hard would it be to remove that DC negative to case connection? It would all but eliminate the possibility of an accidental short.
I was planning on attempting this and dissasembled the unit far enough to see that it uses the case to supply the negative to the outputs. The outputs are connected to a small board that is seperate from the main board. Between the main board and the output board, there is a wire for the positive side. But the negative side of the output board is connected directly to the case. I won't say its impossible, but after seeing that it looked a lot harder than disconnecting a resistor.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:46 AM
AKA Boomhauer
Arkansas
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
You guys think 20 amp banana plugs would be sufficient for the 24v 47a setup?
Been looking at options for connectors. Wanting something that I can mount to case and be plug and play.
Lomchevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomchevac
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:30 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,321 Posts
TheBum - Yes dimensions are the same. I'm sure they are direct replacements.

FWIW the Hyperion Duos come with 4mm bananas. They work great with 4mm female bullet connectors. The duo draws <30A max but I think those bullets are good fome more than 50A. I use Deans as seen above with no apparent problems and Deans are polarized.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:29 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
I'll take them then. I'll add a note to the payment so you can associate my name with my forum handle.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:48 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,321 Posts
Thanks. These hava a little different case design so removing the latch requires a little more work. I have removed a latch or 2 from this model of power supply. From your posts it should be no problem for you.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:10 PM
AKA Boomhauer
Arkansas
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
Quote:

FWIW the Hyperion Duos come with 4mm bananas. They work great with 4mm female bullet connectors. The duo draws <30A max but I think those bullets are good fome more than 50A. I use Deans as seen above with no apparent problems and Deans are polarized.
I use deans as well, but there is really not a easy way to mount them to a aluminum case for quick connect.
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:41 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,321 Posts
FWIW I would not use a metal (conductive) case. There are a lot of good plastic cases.
I do not use a case at all. I'll post pics of what I use later.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:18 PM
AKA Boomhauer
Arkansas
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
Quote:
FWIW I would not use a metal (conductive) case. There are a lot of good plastic cases.
I do not use a case at all. I'll post pics of what I use later.
I have several plastic gun cases,but the T-Rex 450 case is perfect size, and insulated well with foam padding, which should be better than the packing tape some use. I'll photo when I get time to work on it.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:52 PM
AKA Boomhauer
Arkansas
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
will do, and a big thank you for your how to blog.
Great info.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:47 AM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
The supplies arrive yesterday and I'm contemplating isolation strategies. I'm concerned if I only wrap the breadth of the case that I'll find a way to accidentally short the ends. Does anybody see any cooling issue with taping the ends and then cutting out the vent holes? I don't know how much of the cooling relies on the case acting as a heat sink.