HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by feathermerchant, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yen
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Do you have to use 2 of the exact same PS's to set up the 24V configuration?

I have this cosel (relabeled as Astroflight) 12v 12.5 amp PS currently from years ago. Would I be able to wire this up in series with your 42amp PS to get 24V, what will be my final current output.
Yen is offline Find More Posts by Yen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 04:33 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,318 Posts
Yes you can. The final current will be 12.5A.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:34 PM
Yen
Orlando, FL
Joined Aug 2004
120 Posts
Oh ok, guess I'll be saving up for another PS
Yen is offline Find More Posts by Yen
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:25 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings View Post
Just wondering if there is a Radio Shack connector to plug into the "output" side of this supply?

It looks like some type of spade lug.
An auto supply store has some female quick (spade) connectors that are the correct width - the blue insulation indicates that it will accept 12 to 16 gauge wire.

I push the spade connector onto one leg of the "U" connector on the power supply with the curled side of the female spade connector away from the other leg. The bare, flat outside of the spade connector lies flat against the second leg of the "U" with enough pressure to carry some current.

Alan

P.S. If for some reason that setup doesn't work (i.e. the connector gets warm), I plan to make a second set of leads and push the second spade connector on the "other" leg of the power supply's "U" connector.
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:38 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,318 Posts
I'd recommend one connector per charger. That will keep the current down.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:47 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Here is my assembly of two FeatherMerchant 47a supplies. This was my first attempt to work with acrylic. I elected to remove the handles on the ends of the supplies and re-use them on the larger case. I also disconnected the ground wire inside the second supply instead of disconnecting it at the input wire. This does two things. First it makes it impossible to make a mistake when connecting the AC cords. Secondly there are surge protectors inside the supply connected between the power leads and the ground. With ground still connected to the surge protectors they are still functioning.

More comments on the images.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gregor99; Oct 06, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:22 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,318 Posts
Wow, that is really great. Interesting to hear about the ground too. On the 42A supply, disconnecting the internal ground did nothing as the plug unit was grounded to the chassis too. The 8ga wire is certainly large enough. What's your charger?
Last edited by feathermerchant; Jan 08, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:35 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
On the 47a unit when you open the supply, there is short green wire from the input ground plug to the case. The wire is attached to the case with screw. I disconnected the wire and covered the end with heat shrink. I also found that the female input plug had small metal shield that connected to the ground wire, and surrounded half of the input plug making contact with the case. Once I removed that metal piece, the case was no longer grounded. It may be the same on the 42a.

I also looked at disconnecting the ground wire at the output side (DC) of the supply. I didn't take it completely apart but as far as I could easily go it looked like the supply was using the case as the negative side of the supply. Since I needed the acrylic case to keep the supplies together and provide a mount point for the output connectors, I abandoned the idea.

I'm powering an FMA Cellpro 10s and an FMA Powerlab 8. Obviously, this setup cannot power both when the PL8 is at full output. In fact, with the recent FMA update, this setup is too small to run just the PL8 at full output. I wish the PL8 could handle 36v input as I'd just add a third supply and be done. Good thing I rarely need to use that much power.

My only complaint is one you warned me about. The fans on these things are pretty loud and a bit shrill. I swear they are singing in harmony, which is not a good thing. Its not a problem at the field with loads of ambient noise. I'm contemplating getting a couple 42a supplies for home use so the workbench is a bit quieter.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Oct 07, 2010, 08:24 AM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
123 Posts
Gregor99, that's a very nice, clean install. I have a question:

Where did you get the flat AC plug/cords and connector for the Harbor Freight case?
darkfa8 is offline Find More Posts by darkfa8
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Thanks for the comments. The female PC connector came from my local Frys. I had the power cables laying around but I suspect you may be able to get those at Frys as well. Last time I visited this electronics supply house, I noticed they had them as well.

http://www.vetco.net/
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:33 PM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
123 Posts
I found some PSU AC cables floating around here at the office that I can splice together at home.

I'll have to check at the local Radio Shack for the rest.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 04:49 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,318 Posts
I have Power cables for $3
I can also do wiring on the 12V side for extra $
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:54 AM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
123 Posts
found the rest of my wiring at work The custom machine shop we have in our building had some 10ga power wire I was able to use. Got my ESP114 PSUs wired up, connectorized (4mm female bullets on 12v side, EC5 on 24v side). Total cost for 12v/24v 55amp PSU: $30

- might add a power switch to each unit and neon indicator. Otherwise, they're done. Will post pics soon.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:30 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
@SpeedVision - Thanks for posting that. I was in a rush to get the assembly done and didn't get any pictures during the process. Can you also post a pic of the disconnected internal ground wire?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:54 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
@SpeedVision - Thanks for posting that. I was in a rush to get the assembly done and didn't get any pictures during the process. Can you also post a pic of the disconnected internal ground wire?
Sorry, too late for that one. The green wire is so easy a Caveman could do it.

With that said, the input plug is requires a little TLC getting out. You just need to get a flat head screwdriver in there to press down the tabs that hold it in. Just be patient and slowly work each side out.

Edit - picture number one shows the green wire in the bottom right corner, already shrink wrapped...
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision