HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2009, 01:56 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Discussion
Puffed a 2c 430mah e-flite lipo... Need some help to jerry-rig cig car charger

Can I take a lipo wall charger rated at 12.6volts 500ma (thats why it puffed my 2cell) and take the wires from this, cut off the cig plug and then splice it... is it proper amount of voltage?

I'm looking for a quick cheap simple 2-3cell lipo balancer charger, the main problem I find is is that they are always usually the one's with alligator clips, I'm wondering if there is a way to just say get a certain wall charger, splice the wires up and clip the clips onto them...

a charger like this one:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

Boy did I feel retarded yesterday, brand new lipo, my parkzone radian lipo cell balancer charger was not available for use so I decided to use a slow wall charger, which was a bad idea as 1) you're not supposed to charge through the output/jst or deans plugs on lipos and 2) my battery was 430mah and the charger charged at 500mah so needless to say it puffed, I'm not sure if it's completely bad... I know that it is not putting out though, anyway to save it or not?
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Last edited by GreenAce92; Dec 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Huh I noticed that charger charges at 650mah's wondering if you can change the rating

Wondering if I could just get a ciggarrete charger adapter, and use the Parkzone Radian's 2-3cell charger as it's rate is changeable and I like that...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
Minnesota
Joined Sep 2009
8 Posts
I searched on amazon and found a laptop power adapter with the right voltage and amp rating for my cellpro 4s charger and just cut off the plug and soldered on some banana plugs, works great.. the power adapter was about $10 and the banana plugs were a couple bucks at radio shack. You might be able to do something similar for yours, or just buy a cellpro 4s, I love mine.
merkzu is offline Find More Posts by merkzu
Old Dec 25, 2009, 02:13 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Boy did I feel retarded yesterday, brand new lipo, my parkzone radian lipo cell balancer charger was not available for use so I decided to use a slow wall charger, which was a bad idea as 1) you're not supposed to charge through the output/jst or deans plugs on lipos and 2) my battery was 430mah and the charger charged at 500mah so needless to say it puffed, I'm not sure if it's completely bad... I know that it is not putting out though, anyway to save it or not?
Yea, that was dumb allright. You've been around for >two years with well >2000 posts and you use a wall wart to charge a lipo???

You can use the mains to charge through just fine. You just check the balance every now and then and take measures when needed. A 500ma charge is nothing. What likely happened is that the battery got overcharged and somehow you avoided having a Christmas fire. Change your charging habits or risk a major problem.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:30 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Well no this was obviously not a "wallmart charger" I referred to it as a walmart charger because it takes like 4hours to charge a 1800mah lipo on it, no it is a lipo charger, I would think that I know the difference between a Nimh/nicd charger or a lipo/or Li-ion etc...

The charger I used was an Emax 12v 500ma charger, see it's fine for 3cells but I guess 2 is too much, everytime I charge lipo's I've only paid attention to the amp rating never the voltage so when I assumed that since it took so long to charge a battery (meaning low amp input) then it would be fine but the voltage was not...

You know cuz like a 1500mah battery charged at 1.5amps takes an hour etc...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:05 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,397 Posts
Yep, you were very lucky it didn't vent with fire. As far as being able to save the pack,,,be safe, discharge it down and toss it. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

You need to monitor the packs voltage along with the amp rate, when using a non-lipo charger/power supply...

Use a Deans type male/female connector for the connection between the power supply/charger, just keep the polarity correct. You would feel bad if the wires touched and burned up your power supply.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:45 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
It is a lipo charger lmao I knew that far that I was attempting to charge a lipo with a lipo charger
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Ok here's another question, I have a cell balancer charger that plugs into cars, is it possible (I'm getting desperate/impatient here) to take a wall lipo charger, that charges at 12.6volts .5a and ten cut off the cigarette plug and then fuse em to power up the charger? I believe plus is the bump/most frontal tip of the cigarette plug right? Guess I could always use a multimeter (which is odd because they say to not use it with something that puts out electricity/voltage like a live circuit/battery etc...)

please someone help
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,504 Posts
The wall charger at .5 amps doesn't have the power to run the balance charger. You need a source that can take at least 2 or 3 amps to work properly for your uses. You either need to use a standalone power supply or use a car battery to charge from.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Ok its alright I got a black and decker wall coverter at 6amps the goodness thanks for the help
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:29 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Guess I could always use a multimeter (which is odd because they say to not use it with something that puts out electricity/voltage like a live circuit/battery etc...)
The only time you don't want to use a multi-meter on a live circuit is when you are checking continuity (ohms), when checking the voltage or amps, the power has to be on...

You can cut the cigarette adapter off, and use Deans on the power supply/battery charger connection or something similar so you don't reverse polarity upon plugging it in...You could also just solder the leads together and use shrink wrap tubing over the connections, if you go this way, just make sure the polarity is correct.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413