Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:45 PM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Discussion
bullet connectors versus deans..

I need to replenish some older lipos so I am now seeing batteries I used to buy using bullet connectos instead of deans.all my stuff is using dean connectors. did I miss something new?? I guess I will have to cut the bullets off and solder on new deans.is there a diffence that I dont realize??
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:56 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Deans has been enforcing their patent so the Chinese manufacturers have dropped them rather than creating problems with customs with their knockoffs. The rest of the world has never used Deans anyway so its even more of a US thing now.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,335 Posts
Yeah they decided to go with their own connector. it is similar to the Asian Super Tigre branded bullet connectors but the housing is a little longer.
Hobby City seems to be using the 4mm bullet connector on everything now. At least on the larger battery packs. I did find that the Eletra Fly 4mm bullet connectors are compatible if you need something right away. At present Hobby City has like 381 backorders for their HXT bullet connectors.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...2810pcs/set%29
I had ordered like ten bags of these a couple of months ago. So I am all set for the time being.

It isn't a bad connector at all. It is rated for like 93 amperes. With a high power soldering iron it is easy to solder as they gold plated it.

Do check and double check several times to match up the connector pins with each other before you insert them into the housing and press them into place.

I solder the wire onto the connector pin first, and then insert the wire into the front end of the connector housing and pull it back through, then I use a small vise and something to put pressure on the pin with, to lightly press the pin into the housing.
If the wire is already connected to something on one end, then slip the wire through the housing and solder the pin on and then press the pin into place. The connector pins are inserted into the housing from the front.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:27 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
I chop them and use them for other things (like banana jacks for chargers)

Deans are still the best connector for their size
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:56 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Yeah, I've been snipping those long ones off, and replacing them with Deans connectors off Ebay. $10 for 10 or something. Infact, my batteries are all 'customised'. I even replace my balance connectors! A mission!!

Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:27 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Yeah they decided to go with their own connector. it is similar to the Asian Super Tigre branded bullet connectors but the housing is a little longer.
Hobby City seems to be using the 4mm bullet connector on everything now. At least on the larger battery packs. I did find that the Eletra Fly 4mm bullet connectors are compatible if you need something right away. At present Hobby City has like 381 backorders for their HXT bullet connectors.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...2810pcs/set%29
I had ordered like ten bags of these a couple of months ago. So I am all set for the time being.

It isn't a bad connector at all. It is rated for like 93 amperes. With a high power soldering iron it is easy to solder as they gold plated it.

Do check and double check several times to match up the connector pins with each other before you insert them into the housing and press them into place.

I solder the wire onto the connector pin first, and then insert the wire into the front end of the connector housing and pull it back through, then I use a small vise and something to put pressure on the pin with, to lightly press the pin into the housing.
If the wire is already connected to something on one end, then slip the wire through the housing and solder the pin on and then press the pin into place. The connector pins are inserted into the housing from the front.

Those are good connectors, but that plastic case looks dangerous to me,
i prefer using double heatshrink instead -leaving one wire longer than the other-, then another heatshrink on both wires to prevent connection/short-circuit to each-other
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Z-matrix, the plastic looks like it has yet to be slid in place and melted down to its conformal shape around the plug.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Dec 25, 2009, 10:16 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,335 Posts
The connector pins normally have a larger gauge wire attached to them. I was showing one of the adapters I was making so i could use my regular chargers with the battery packs. With large gauge wire the connector is about the correct size. Getting the connector pin out is a little tricky. You first heat the plastic housing up with a heat shrink blower or maybe a hair dryer or use hot sand, in order to soften the plastic, and then push the connector pin out of the front of the housing.
Now one certainly could use a form that is heated to soften the plastic and form it around the rear end of the connector. But since Hobby City didn't do it, I didn't do it.

When I first got a batch of 2200mah 3s1p packs from Hobby City, I converted those packs over to use Deans connectors to match the planes the packs were intended for.
I then used the HXT connectors to make adapters for my big battery packs and larger planes. Now that I have a good supply of connector pin and housing sets. i don't need to deal with recylcing the connectors so much.

Also the e Flite 4mm bullet connectors work fine too. As a substitute they plug in and work with the HXT connectors. But you have to be careful to avoid shorts, as you use heat shrink tubing and there is no plastic housing for them.
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/e-f...s__4959373.htm
Maybe these other pics will help with how they work.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane