Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:53 AM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Discussion
Old RC truck to tank conversion

Hi All,

I have an old nitro truck here that I can't find the replacement parts for (left front whell assembly is totally shot away.) It's a Kyosho QRC Dodge Ram with a reverse gear. Since the engine and rear drive train are fine, I was thinking it might be cool to recycly it as a scratch built tank. I have no problem making new components (I design models for a living and use lots of CNC, laser and RP tech.) As far as I know the engine is the same as in the Nitro Blizzard snowcat also made by Kyosho. The gearbox puts out barrels of torque and I think it could drive tracks without much trouble. The only problem is that I will have to install brakes between the wheels and the diff. Are disc brake units available, or could I scratch build them? I'm thinking it would power a 1/8th scale IFV, I have a Russian BMP in mind.

I can make my own wheels, tracks and any major structures. All I'm unsure about are the mechanices themselves, as I have little experience with tanks and tracked vehicles. So It's only how to get the power from the gearbox through the diff to the drive wheel with a brake in between I am having trouble with. If anyone can point in the right direction that would be great. If I can get a workinhg design together then it could be a great project! Here are some pics form various places of the chassis, hopefully it will shed some light on what i'm thining. All I would keep is the engine, gearbox, rear diff and drive shatfs. All the suspension would go etc.

[IMG]http://image2-7.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/upfiles/241296
/Lh18777.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers,

Will.
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2009, 12:54 AM
Look at my little red dot
On the Snap on truck
Joined May 2004
806 Posts
Someone posted this link on rcuniverse