HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:59 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFliesBy View Post
I've been flying Skyfuns for a few years now but am still seeking that elusive perfect set up. My current (2nd) Skyfun used to run the HK 2836 2350kv until I switched to another motor listed on this thread way way back - a hobbypartz 2750kv. To be honest, it appears to be hardly any different than the 2350, about 50 watts more than 2350 on the same set up. With a 2200 4s APC sports 6x4 and a Turnigy plush 60amp it pushes out 1000w and 68amps on ground testing. iPhone app RC speedo has clocked it at 280kph during slight dives. Not sure about accuracy of this app though.

However, this thing still screams at that pace and I was wondering-what is the best motor/set up that provides 160km/h plus speed with much less screaming? I'm mindful that my new 'airfield' is only a few hundred metres away from houses and want to be more 'respectful' of others.

Are the NTM motors from HK any quieter than the 2350? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25042 (this is 3000kv so probably not)

What about these famed HET 2W25s? Are they quiet until pushed to the max?

Any help would be great!
The "scream" is not from the motor but from the prop. The problem is because its a pusher jet. The closer the prop is to the tail of the plane the louder the prop is. The more powerful the motor the faster it will spin the prop which in turn makes it louder. The only thing that can make it quieter is to extend the motor mount a little further from the tail so that there's a bigger gap between the prop and the trailing edge of the plane. Otherwise the only option is to go down in power.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:59 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
530 Posts
paint job

I finally got around to painting my skyfun.
I wanted to airbrush, but didnt have the patience to complete many coats.
A few dissappointments...the tamiya paints dried much darker than the lid color...was expecting the camo to be a desert scheme.
Also, my hand detailing sucks. I wanted perfectly sculpted lines-I just didnt know how to do that without cutting many templates.
Tried to seal with triple thick clear spray paint, but it ate through the tamiya paint in a few places. That was with a few coats too.
I ended up using miniwax to clear coat.

Bit of a dissapointment, but its a good learning experience.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:01 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Skyfun screaming

Thanks for that CJ. Will try that next time. I've had to redo the motor mounts of both my skyfuns due to upgraded motors. First upgrade was a 3200kv heli motor, which would explain why it screamed llouder than the 2350 or the 2750. 2750 is actually quite good. Made new backing plates from aluminium also. Used angle brackets from hardware store for mounts. Next time it all goes caput I will put the mount further back!
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:14 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Thanks Mark. Is the NTM noticeably quicker than the 2350 or much the same?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:44 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFliesBy View Post
Thanks Mark. Is the NTM noticeably quicker than the 2350 or much the same?
i would say pretty much identical in terms of speed. The only reason i changed was because i was going get a lower KV motor for my skyfun but ended up ordering the wrong one :-\ -Threw it on anyway.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:12 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quite some time ago Dr. Kiwi tested a Turnigy 2836 2350 and the true kv turned out to be 2800.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
If you want a quiet skyfun put the motor on the front. You would be surprised at how much quieter it would be. Wouldn't be the same plane then though and would look stupid.
Mirage_84 is offline Find More Posts by Mirage_84
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
The question has been asked but not replied to yet......How does the Radjet compare to the skyfun? I have a radjet coming with a 6s setup and wondering if it is worth it over the skyfun?

Skyfun looks more draggy and slower to me but on the other hand can carry a much larger battery and power system. 250kmh would be nice and it looks like that might be hard on the radjet.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:20 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,619 Posts
I've been following this thread for a little while now. I've been contemplating getting a SkyFun. I've been flying for years and recently killed my Funjet on a bad launch. I'm thinking this might be a good plane for my Funjet electronics (HET 2W25, 80amp Turnigy ESC and 3s 2650 55c batts running a 6x5.5 prop)

But I was a little worried about Hobbyking quality and shipping from China.

Have people generally had good success with their orders? If not, how hard is it to get an order fixed if it comes in damaged?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post
I've been following this thread for a little while now. I've been contemplating getting a SkyFun. I've been flying for years and recently killed my Funjet on a bad launch. I'm thinking this might be a good plane for my Funjet electronics (HET 2W25, 80amp Turnigy ESC and 3s 2650 55c batts running a 6x5.5 prop)

But I was a little worried about Hobbyking quality and shipping from China.

Have people generally had good success with their orders? If not, how hard is it to get an order fixed if it comes in damaged?
Been lucky enough not to have any problems with my HK orders (about 20 so far). I've ordered 2 of these SkyFun kits and both times they arrived undamaged after a few weeks. Still got one in the box waiting for the inevitable death of the 1st. Funny thing though, the more I crash and repair the 1st one the better it flies!! I think your setup would work fine in this jet. Some beef up the motor mount a bit though for crazier motors. I've only run the 2836 2350 turnigy motor in mine and have been happy with the 110mph I get out of it with a 4 cell 2200 40C batt and a plush 60 esc. I also use a orange rx with a satellite and have never had problems. Go for it... you'll like it!

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:15 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Sky fun versus radjet

Mirage, that question has been posed before on other threads. Most obvious differences are size and weight - skyfun has much more wing area and can take more weight. Responses also say that it glides better and is easier to fly. Radjet is faster with the same setup and a little more zippy. Here are a few responses I found using 'search':

"Right guys, I've flown this (Radjet) thing with quite a few setups, but the fastest I'm getting it to average in up and down wind passes is just under 200 kph. This was done using a turnigy 2836 2350 kv motor, 4s 1800mah lipo and a 5.5 x4.5 prop.

I've recently built a skyfun with the turnigy 3648 1400 kv motor and 6s 2650mah lipos on a 7x5 prop. This worked great with speeds od around 240 kph, but sadly it is no more as the ground managed to get in the way during a high speed pass.

The Radjet 800 is however much more streamlined. You can see where I'm going with this... I've flown my radjet on 4s 2650mah to see how it handles the extra weight. Other than a faster landing speed, the the flight characteristics were still great."

----

I have had both of these planes, and they are both great!

The radjet is better on the stock setup than the stock skyfun. Large loops and limited vertical performance are possible. Just make sure you get the cg right. I have mine balanced just in front of the launch grips. Watch out if you stall it as it has a nasty tendency to go into an unrecoverable death spin
I'm currently running my radjet on a turnigy 2836 2350kv motor and 1800mah 4s battery, and its good for 130mph!

The Skyfun is a great plane on a turnigy 2836 2350kv motor and 4s. Not as fast as the radjet on the same setup, but a lot easier to fly and land. It glides great too! I wouldn't bother with the stock setup as it's pretty tame.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:22 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
CJ, I couldn't agree more with Norm. Your set up will be fine, although I would go 4S. Won't be as fast as the FJU but it is sooooo much cheaper! Just get the kit and add your own servos. The skyfun is packed well and won't be damaged. I did have a damaged plane arrive from HK once - a giant Cessna bought for my dad. They were quick to reply to inquires but we're sh!!@@$&$@ at doing anything about it. Still waiting for my replacement plane 1.5 years later. Ain't gonna happen. BUT-you won't have an issue with the skyfun arriving in tact. Just pull the trigger and get it! My first skyfun has been crashed and repaired so many times that it looks like a monster-yet it still flies fine!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:34 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Skyfun + Storm OSD problem (cross-posted from Storm OSD thread)

removed by author
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Jan 19, 2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
The SkyFun is great, once you tear it down to the bare foam and rebuild with much greater attention to detail.
Some areas to reinforce or replace: The tape hinges, foam elevons, motor mount, hatch latches, canopy to hatch glue, battery velcro, stock power system, servos, servo mounting boxes, cheap plastic clevises and horns, any loose decals.
The SkyFun foam is very sensitive to solvents, even lock-tite will eat it.
One additional mod in order to not need the servo protectors is to run the servos up through the top of the wing.
If you have the clear canopy, I would add some dark color to the inside, along with dark colors on the nose. This will prevent the plane from literally becoming invisible when turning back directly toward you from a great distance. Ultra bright colors different on top and bottom are also important.
Also some clear packing tape under the bottom will increase the life of the foam for many hundreds of belly landings.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Thanks for the response Pete. That is exactly the info i wanted to hear. I suspected that the Radjet should be faster but I doubted that assumption given the fact people seem to be getting higher speeds out of skyfun. I suspect that comes down to power systems and the bigger batteries the skyfun can carry. I have a 3536 1800kv motor and a 1300mah 6s battery coming with a radjet!!! Same as rattlesnake on youtube. Can't wait. All i need now is a gps because my bushnell radar gun struggles on small planes going this fast. I have a rare bear pulling 650watts and the only time we got a reading was a little under half throttle at 130kmh.