HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:44 AM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Skyfun ducted fan project

Finally got the 6 cell to fit. All up weight is now 3 lbs 8 oz.

Testing today
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Last edited by ecworks; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Skyfun ducted fan project

It does feel very heavy but it is producing over 4 lbs 8 oz of thrust and according to an on-line wing loading calculator the wing loading is not extreme:
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
My other project (Transall C-160) with its stock wing comes in at over 49 oz per sq. ft!
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:09 AM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Skyfun ducted fan project

Launching with the EDF was a little too hairy so I installed some landing gear.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:10 AM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Skyfun ducted fan project

Over and out.

The FY-30a freaked out again, launched, flipped on its back, righted itself, flipped over again and nosed in. Experiment over:
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:12 AM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Eflight 80mm unit fine, Eflight 80 amp ESC fine, all other electronics (DX8 receiver, FY-30) survived intact.

This powertrain will be mothballed at the Institute for Advanced Aeronautical Studies until a suitable airframe comes along.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:52 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out. It was a good effort.
I was wondering from the beginning why you didn't leave the FY-30a out of the system until you had everything sorted with some successful flights.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Actually for the past week it's been flying great with the FY-30. No jitters.
I think this project was working on the edge of the capability of the airframe, EDF, and the electronics.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:50 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
TheCure's Avatar
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Sorry it didn't work out. It was a good effort.
I was wondering from the beginning why you didn't leave the FY-30a out of the system until you had everything sorted with some successful flights.
I was wondering the same - especially when you had close calls previously due to vibration.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Over and out.

The FY-30a freaked out again, launched, flipped on its back, righted itself, flipped over again and nosed in. Experiment over:
The CG may have shifted, but that's still flyable - just loose the nose bits, and put a regular prop/motor on the back.
There's plenty of wing still there and vertical stabliser still intact.
m_ark is online now Find More Posts by m_ark
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:38 PM
Registered User
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
960 Posts
Skyfun ducted fan project

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
The CG may have shifted, but that's still flyable - just loose the nose bits, and put a regular prop/motor on the back.
There's plenty of wing still there and vertical stabliser still intact.
Don't have the time to re-build again, might order another Skyfun and try a clean installation. In the mean time I'm knee deep in this project: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803697
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Best motor for combination of speed without too much screaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
just my opinion but for the price of a couple plus shipping i recomend getting a better motor, one that you can basically run wot and with a change of a larger battery it will increase the speed
HET 2W25 will push over 1000 watts without breaking a sweat and its the price of a couple of those turnigy with shipping 69.00
I've been flying Skyfuns for a few years now but am still seeking that elusive perfect set up. My current (2nd) Skyfun used to run the HK 2836 2350kv until I switched to another motor listed on this thread way way back - a hobbypartz 2750kv. To be honest, it appears to be hardly any different than the 2350, about 50 watts more than 2350 on the same set up. With a 2200 4s APC sports 6x4 and a Turnigy plush 60amp it pushes out 1000w and 68amps on ground testing. iPhone app RC speedo has clocked it at 280kph during slight dives. Not sure about accuracy of this app though.

However, this thing still screams at that pace and I was wondering-what is the best motor/set up that provides 160km/h plus speed with much less screaming? I'm mindful that my new 'airfield' is only a few hundred metres away from houses and want to be more 'respectful' of others.

Are the NTM motors from HK any quieter than the 2350? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25042 (this is 3000kv so probably not)

What about these famed HET 2W25s? Are they quiet until pushed to the max?

Any help would be great!
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:15 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
ProbBalsa elevons

I installed balsa elevons, taking care to carve them like the foam ones but a bit thicker. I used
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Lazy roll response with Balsa elevons

Another question...I installed balsa elevons, taking care to carve them like the foam ones but a bit thicker. I used plastic hinges to join them to the wings. They are straighter than the foam ones ever were with tape! However, first test flight, the plane was perhaps a little more stable but not very responsive to rolls. Instead of spinning on its axis, it would do these lazy barrel rolls - more like a corkscrew than a roll. Any ideas? I'm considering taking the hinges out and just using tape instead. Don't think the throws need to be increased either - plenty of movement there.
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:36 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFliesBy View Post
I've been flying Skyfuns for a few years now but am still seeking that elusive perfect set up. My current (2nd) Skyfun used to run the HK 2836 2350kv until I switched to another motor listed on this thread way way back - a hobbypartz 2750kv. To be honest, it appears to be hardly any different than the 2350, about 50 watts more than 2350 on the same set up. With a 2200 4s APC sports 6x4 and a Turnigy plush 60amp it pushes out 1000w and 68amps on ground testing. iPhone app RC speedo has clocked it at 280kph during slight dives. Not sure about accuracy of this app though.

However, this thing still screams at that pace and I was wondering-what is the best motor/set up that provides 160km/h plus speed with much less screaming? I'm mindful that my new 'airfield' is only a few hundred metres away from houses and want to be more 'respectful' of others.

Are the NTM motors from HK any quieter than the 2350? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25042 (this is 3000kv so probably not)

What about these famed HET 2W25s? Are they quiet until pushed to the max?

Any help would be great!
I have found them both the same, the NTM and the 2350, there's a ton of prop noise from both so it's hard to tell. If i had to guess the NTM motor itself is a touch quieter... but it's a slight difference, probably ruined by the prop noise after it starts moving.
m_ark is online now Find More Posts by m_ark
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Vendo Rádio Hobby King 4ch + Receptor 6ch (2.4GHz) Amazon Brazil 0 Dec 02, 2009 07:52 AM
Discussion Hobby King 40mmx5mm folding spinners @ ~450 Watts? Owen Hedger Power Systems 3 Dec 01, 2009 02:46 PM
Discussion Hobby City/ Hobby King FPV setup- thoughts? Smokescreen38 FPV Talk 6 Oct 23, 2009 04:27 AM
Discussion Hobby King Hobby City MIG 15 7car7 Foamy EDFs 5 Oct 15, 2009 06:43 PM
Question hobby king speed controller question? qtturner1 Power Systems 3 Jul 08, 2009 11:17 PM