HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
I just used plastic flat hinges because they'd be easier to mount into the balsa than other hinge types, and I don't trust hinge tape for faster models.
I've always thought just the opposite. 3M Blenderm is great stuff. It provides a continous bond so the load is spread over the entire area. It, also, completely seals the crack between the control suface and main body. Not sure who is correct on the right solution. Just my experience.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
The issue with tape is that it's flexible. Hinges give a more stable pivot point, and if you make them correctly I don't think you lose out on control surface separation. That said, each his own. In my experience tape hasn't worked well, and may have been exacerbated by the hot weather in OZ that makes adhesives not stick so well!
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:11 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,112 Posts
Quote:
The issue with tape is that it's flexible. Hinges give a more stable pivot point, and if you make them correctly I don't think you lose out on control surface separation. That said, each his own. In my experience tape hasn't worked well, and may have been exacerbated by the hot weather in OZ that makes adhesives not stick so well!
It also may be that you haven't had access to 3M Blenderm hinge tape? It's awfully good.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I've only ever used 3M tape for my planes because its the toughest/stickiest stuff, but I avoid using it for hinges. Call it habit? I like the mechanical function of proper hinges, they inspire more confidence for me than tape (especially when the stock tape hinges proved problematic for me).
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:20 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,112 Posts
Quote:
I've only ever used 3M tape for my planes because its the toughest/stickiest stuff, but I avoid using it for hinges. Call it habit? I like the mechanical function of proper hinges, they inspire more confidence for me than tape (especially when the stock tape hinges proved problematic for me).
I am speaking of Blenderm. It's a totally different tape from regular 3M. It's available from their medical supply business.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Well in that case hinges are simply easier to get a hand on, I can just get them at my LHS. Not sure you'd be able to get 3M's medical supplies down here in OZ.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
what glue do you guys use? will ca foam safe do the work?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:46 PM
sunk more than scorp
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,168 Posts
Hot glue or epoxy, I find CA is too brittle
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
Hot glue or epoxy, I find CA is too brittle
I have had very good luck with hot glue. You need a fair amount of flexibility when working with foam.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
My friend and I just mounted a MD 2505-2800 on his bird and man was it fast.
Unlimited vertical and guessing around 100mph.

I tried to vid the maiden flight I hope he will post it soon.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,706 Posts
i just started to use Foam Tac . that glue is amazing you need to do a search as see some of the results of pilots using this glue.

before i used foam tac i used to use gorilla glue . that is the storngest bond ive seen on foam . . i learned the hard way not to use hot glue . . that stuff gets soft in hot weather. and i only use epoxy on motor mounts for scratch built planes .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Can i use the 5 min a+b glue that comes with the kit version of skyfun? Or this? Also whats the difference between the minutes?
Last edited by timtimtim; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Can i use the 5 min a+b glue that comes with the kit version of skyfun? Or this? Also whats the difference between the minutes?
the longer it take the epoxy to cure the stronger it is, so basically 30min epoxy has a stronger bond than a 5min epoxy , the reason alot of people perfer the 5min epoxy is cause they dont want to wait that long for a bond .
that glue they supply you with in the plane is pure garbage . i lost a plane because of that glue when i first got into rc planes . keep in mind the low price you save on the plane comes from them putting cheap stuff along with the plane. just my opinion.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
the longer it take the epoxy to cure the stronger it is, so basically 30min epoxy has a stronger bond than a 5min epoxy , the reason alot of people perfer the 5min epoxy is cause they dont want to wait that long for a bond .
that glue they supply you with in the plane is pure garbage . i lost a plane because of that glue when i first got into rc planes . keep in mind the low price you save on the plane comes from them putting cheap stuff along with the plane. just my opinion.
Thats what i was thinking too... So in your opinion should I go for the 6 or 30 min epoxy? I will add cf rods to the fuselage later
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
My friend and I just mounted a MD 2505-2800 on his bird and man was it fast.
Unlimited vertical and guessing around 100mph.

I tried to vid the maiden flight I hope he will post it soon.
ok ok i will get to editing and posting soon... But let me say this- that was the fastest thing I have ever flown times 2... man oh man ... cant wait to stick a cam or two on it this weekend.. yes you have hooked me on speed now- although- I am not sure I want to go any faster- that damn plane was fast fast fast... i think 30 seconds would take it way out of range? lets see 100mph = 1.66 miles per minute- nope I guess it wouldn't be out of range- just too far too see well

The plane actually accelerated while climbing 90 degrees vertical faster than it used to do in a dive with stock motor-- It seemed I was flying an Estes rocket...I like this little jet..
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger