SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
The skyfun is dead reversed over by my car....I am an idiot. Fortunately cockpit and TX were missed. Motor and HS 82MG took a direct hit and seem in good shape!

Replacement kit on order.
mgbolts is offline Find More Posts by mgbolts
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 02:26 AM
flying or crashing into air?
Australia, VIC, Langwarrin
Joined Feb 2011
1,336 Posts
My first flights today with 4s pack were awesome
The 3000kv NTM motor screams along nice.
The rudders where a good mod and make good air brakes .
I will give them a bit more travel to improve the braking performance but overall I am happy I added them.
All I need to do now is get some 2200mah 4S nanotechs as I think the 1800mah one I am using as a trial is a bit light
wizzard363 is online now Find More Posts by wizzard363
Old May 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
@mgbolts - Sorry to hear that....but I think you just (really) didn't want to do rudders

@wizzard - what servo's did you use for the rudders (like micro HXT500 size? 5g)
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old May 28, 2012, 09:42 AM
flying or crashing into air?
Australia, VIC, Langwarrin
Joined Feb 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
@mgbolts - Sorry to hear that....but I think you just (really) didn't want to do rudders

@wizzard - what servo's did you use for the rudders (like micro HXT500 size? 5g)
I used 9g HXT900's , its what I had in the spares box
wizzard363 is online now Find More Posts by wizzard363
Old May 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
poiyt,
My honest opinion is...
Build a Stryker C from parts. I think your motor will work with the customcnc mount.
I've had 2 SkyFuns and they are great but the Stryker is just a fine flyer and tough as nails.
I just think it's better suited to a 1 kilowatt powerplant.
You'll probably need balsa elevons with all of these models.

Folks are having fun with the HobbyKing Flyjet X-83 too.
I haven't built mine yet.
It does have a quirk with the motor mount. You'll see if you get into the thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493707

Ifly, thanks pal. Honestly, I know a stryker c would work, but since I already have one, I was looking for something a bit different....then I saw your x-83 link and bang! that looks like just the ticket:

A) they're in stock usa
B) they look like the orig "lear" funjet
C) I can go pusher or edf

Looks like the perfect home for 1kw...thx buddy!!!
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Last edited by poiyt; May 30, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
132 Posts
The Stryker sucks! My skyfun was much cheaper! With mods another $60 that's the exceed ducted fan motor 2200kv 500w 60amp esc and metal gear servos. Plus wood elevons! Next mod rudders. The sky fun is much faster than the Stryker with kick ass motor. Price wise you could buy 2 for the price of the Stryker. Also thinking about retracts!!! Thunder power batteries screw nanotech and sky lipos don't get me wrong I like them but tp's have that handle them amps attitude. I'm getting great tips here thanks guys
Jyester is offline Find More Posts by Jyester
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:51 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Experience is a harsh teacher

Grab a beer, sit down and enjoy my tale of woe

So I lost my plane again. Worst thing was, those lost plane buzzers were sitting on my desk (yes, they arrived from China but I didn't install them right away).

How'ed it happen...well rookie mistake.

Because my two previous flights were good, I thought I'd just trim it out on this flight and the mistake was looking at the Skyfun in the air and not the Skyfun relative to the ground. By the time the telemetry alarm on my DX8 for lost frames went off....I was already out of range.

Control was so intermittent that it was like trying to stay on a bull. The best I thought I could do was to cut the throttle and hope for a 'good' crash landing (again). Only this time, I was way over the field and in the tree line - about 450 meters according to Google Maps.

Its was 7pm (tonight) and I searched (cursing myself the whole time for not putting in that lost plane buzzer) for the next 90 minutes. The tree line is (luckly) only 10 meters deep (30ft) and there is another field behind. Looked and looked. Finally gave up.

On the way out, I thought, tomorrow I'll put my keychain cam on my floater jet (AXN). Face it downward and fly the field and tree line to cut down on a walking search grid. Brilliant Idea I thought to myself. Now the sun is setting.

Then I realized something. I had just put lights on the plane. Stupidly, I fly far and have a hard time telling if the plane is flying away or coming at me from that kinda distance....so I put (4) white LED's in the cockpit facing forward, and yellow ones on the tail, just below the motor so I can see if its coming at me or going away.

So, if I come back to the trees at night, I should see the lights pretty easy....NOT!! The whole time I felt like I was in a horror film, dark trees, slight fog in the tree line...nobody within screaming distance.....

Search for another 45 minutes..and about to give up when I see this tiny dot in the distance, another 250 meters away. Can you see it??

That white dot is my plane. A total of 750 meters from where I launched it.

Here is how it got hung up:

Damage was only the vertical stabilizers both were ripped off.

Will go back tomorrow to look for them in the daylight...trying to find anything with a flashlight was impossible.

Survived this lesson .... barely.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:08 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Grab a beer, sit down and enjoy my tale of woe

So I lost my plane again. Worst thing was, those lost plane buzzers were sitting on my desk (yes, they arrived from China but I didn't install them right away).

How'ed it happen...well rookie mistake.

Because my two previous flights were good, I thought I'd just trim it out on this flight and the mistake was looking at the Skyfun in the air and not the Skyfun relative to the ground. By the time the telemetry alarm on my DX8 for lost frames went off....I was already out of range.

Control was so intermittent that it was like trying to stay on a bull. The best I thought I could do was to cut the throttle and hope for a 'good' crash landing (again). Only this time, I was way over the field and in the tree line - about 450 meters according to Google Maps.

Its was 7pm (tonight) and I searched (cursing myself the whole time for not putting in that lost plane buzzer) for the next 90 minutes. The tree line is (luckly) only 10 meters deep (30ft) and there is another field behind. Looked and looked. Finally gave up.

On the way out, I thought, tomorrow I'll put my keychain cam on my floater jet (AXN). Face it downward and fly the field and tree line to cut down on a walking search grid. Brilliant Idea I thought to myself. Now the sun is setting.

Then I realized something. I had just put lights on the plane. Stupidly, I fly far and have a hard time telling if the plane is flying away or coming at me from that kinda distance....so I put (4) white LED's in the cockpit facing forward, and yellow ones on the tail, just below the motor so I can see if its coming at me or going away.

So, if I come back to the trees at night, I should see the lights pretty easy....NOT!! The whole time I felt like I was in a horror film, dark trees, slight fog in the tree line...nobody within screaming distance.....

Search for another 45 minutes..and about to give up when I see this tiny dot in the distance, another 250 meters away. Can you see it??

That white dot is my plane. A total of 750 meters from where I launched it.

Here is how it got hung up:

Damage was only the vertical stabilizers both were ripped off.

Will go back tomorrow to look for them in the daylight...trying to find anything with a flashlight was impossible.

Survived this lesson .... barely.
my method tends to be - fly slower, then trim. haha. - i'm glad there's a happy ending to your troubles
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Just thought I'd share:

My First 'real' flight with the skyfun, with a #11 keychain cam on the nose. This is my first video, first video edit, and first youtube posting...so go easy, but tell me what you think. (Whole thing is only 3 minutes)

Best sequence is at the 2:00 minute mark, otherwise the video is here:
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Just thought I'd share:

My First 'real' flight with the skyfun, with a #11 keychain cam on the nose. This is my first video, first video edit, and first youtube posting...so go easy, but tell me what you think. (Whole thing is only 3 minutes)

Best sequence is at the 2:00 minute mark, otherwise the video is here:
Way to go idletime! I'm impressed with the vid and the flying.
You can just paste the url in your post and wallah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbmuER0HLn8
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
531 Posts
has anyone tried the turnigy 2632-3400 with 4s & 5x5?
what peak current was drawn?
everything hold up well?
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I have not but I like the size of a 2836 better.
I've been hearing that the 2836 3200 is 4s capable in short bursts.
That would be quite swift.
I'm not sure of your goals though. If you want it light the 2632 is the way to go.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:38 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
has anyone tried the turnigy 2632-3400 with 4s & 5x5?
what peak current was drawn?
everything hold up well?
I can't imagine that would an adequate motor. The 2836 2350 6x4 draws around 50 amps, or more, on a 4S.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Does anyone know of a good cheap motor from Hobbyking or Rctimer or similar that can give a good boost in thrust while keeping a 6" propeller, and drawing less than 40 Amps?

This might be a silly, newbie-ish question, but in all the motor upgrades I read about, people seem to gravitate highly towards the Small 4.75X4.75 props, with high KV motors.

Well, I just did some bench testing of the stock setup, vs a Turnigy 2632-3400 motor, with 40A esc, and 4.75x4.75 prop. (heard good things about that setup and was thinking about using it)

Well the stock setup I'd get around 400G of thrust, while drawing 10.4 amps.

The new setup I tested, when drawing 10.4 amps, I was getting only about 360G of thrust, so loosing some efficiency.
At full throttle on the new setup, I was getting around 760G of thrust (pretty close to double stock), but at a 35A draw (so using almost 350% as much power).

Now the stock motor is a 1800KV motor. Wouldn't a good motor choice be a motor that had a higher KV, say 3000, but can still swing a stock 6" prop? Wouldn't that give you the same level of efficiency as stock at lower throttle settings, but allow you more power if needed in the upper end, and be more efficient than the smaller prop?

If so, can anyone provide any good motor recommendations, and explain why so many people choose to use a smaller prop setup?

PS: I'm not going for real high speed, I just want a little bit extra speed, and some vertical performance when needed, without cutting my flight times too drastically.
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a16-09-motor2600kv.html

Superb performance with a 6x4 prop and a 3s 2200 battery.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM