HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:54 PM
USA, TN, South Pittsburg
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Does anyone have advice on the deflection angles of the control surfaces and expo\dr for maiden flight. (All Stock)
GyroFly is offline Find More Posts by GyroFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroFly View Post
Does anyone have advice on the deflection angles of the control surfaces and expo\dr for maiden flight. (All Stock)
I use anywhere from 30-40% expo on both aileron and elevator.
ukarmy04 is offline Find More Posts by ukarmy04
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Fast skyfun!

Can anyone say 269.77 km/h (167.67mi/h) with a 28mm motor on a skyfun? That's what my RC speedo iPhone app calculated this morning on the turnigy 2350kv with a graupner 6.5x4 speed prop and a 2200 4S. This is a speed thread after all! This is the set up that pulled 963watts in ground testing.

The 1800 4S clocked 250km/h. Both passes weren't level though-they were slight dives but not steep by any means. Lucky I bought two of these props as I was fooling around with a 3S doing inverted figure eights and Got too confident trying to loop into inverted at low speed and low altitude and busted the prop landing in a small gum tree. Still counts as a landing though... Only the prop was damaged.

This set up has a lot of torque! It's deceptive how slowly you can fly with a lighter 3S and still pull tight maneuvers. I also pulled off the strangest take off I've had to date with a 3S this morning. I always launch with my right hand at around 40 degrees and then switch back to the controls but my first launch on the 3s today went nuts. Was fighting for control for about 4 seconds before I gained it as it jumped about. I think both the cog was out and the throttle was too weak on launch. Did another few launches with no problems.

I only have the 6 ch hobbyking tx so I don't have by expo. Will try it when the 9ch turnigy arrives.

Does anyone with a 4s skyfun have the hobbyking radjet? Interested in a comparison of flight characteristics. I'd like to buy an f27q Stryker but it seems crazy to spend $200 plus on some foam when HK is so much cheaper. I'm interested in some aerobatics and not just pure speed.
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:34 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
If I was able to fly as well as you,
I'd have to own a Scimitar.
I struggle w. 525w on a Stryker C.
The Q is miles ahead of the Radjet BTW.
If I'm not mistaken the Radjet is very near the original MPX FunJet.
You can buy all the parts to build a Stryker C for about $55 plus electrics if that's of any interest.
I have both the Stryker C and SkyFun and love both.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for the info IflyRCs, you're only getting me sold on the Stryker Q! I can get one here for $229 delivered, PNF. How different is it to the C? The vids of the Q on YouTube look awesome-there's one where the pilot breaks in mid air, dipping the nose, before resuming with speed. No way the skyfun could do that. Guess he was using rudders as breaks though.

Scimitar looks awesome-but way too pricey. I'd be too worried about crashing it and you can't really hand launch with that can you? I'm not a member of an RC club, so i couldn't fly it anywhere. I just fly in parks and force myself to try new things. And fix things when they don't pull off...

How's your friend going with the skyfun? I've had many hairy moments learning to fly RC with this as a beginner. Probably should have learned on something else. Makes flying my kinetic 800 a walk in the park though. I think it's the responsiveness of the skyfun without reducing endpoints or using expo that can make it difficult for newbies.
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:14 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
I built my Skyfun in June, flew it a lot, since then it lost some wing area, center piece is missing, vertical stabs are missing ....... but it flys well !
yesterday I flew under bridge and few days ago above sea:
skyfun flys under bridge (0 min 39 sec)

skyfun beach (2 min 11 sec)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
so will a 2200mah 4 cell fit in this thing ok without any foam carving or alterations? using a 80A ESC and a Turnigy 2836-2350kv motor?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteFliesBy View Post
Can anyone say 269.77 km/h (167.67mi/h) with a 28mm motor on a skyfun? That's what my RC speedo iPhone app calculated this morning on the turnigy 2350kv with a graupner 6.5x4 speed prop and a 2200 4S. This is a speed thread after all! This is the set up that pulled 963watts in ground testing.

The 1800 4S clocked 250km/h. Both passes weren't level though-they were slight dives but not steep by any means. Lucky I bought two of these props as I was fooling around with a 3S doing inverted figure eights and Got too confident trying to loop into inverted at low speed and low altitude and busted the prop landing in a small gum tree. Still counts as a landing though... Only the prop was damaged.

This set up has a lot of torque! It's deceptive how slowly you can fly with a lighter 3S and still pull tight maneuvers. I also pulled off the strangest take off I've had to date with a 3S this morning. I always launch with my right hand at around 40 degrees and then switch back to the controls but my first launch on the 3s today went nuts. Was fighting for control for about 4 seconds before I gained it as it jumped about. I think both the cog was out and the throttle was too weak on launch. Did another few launches with no problems.

I only have the 6 ch hobbyking tx so I don't have by expo. Will try it when the 9ch turnigy arrives.

Does anyone with a 4s skyfun have the hobbyking radjet? Interested in a comparison of flight characteristics. I'd like to buy an f27q Stryker but it seems crazy to spend $200 plus on some foam when HK is so much cheaper. I'm interested in some aerobatics and not just pure speed.
I own a Stryker Q and it is super awesome. The aerobatics are just unreal. you will not be disappointed. It was worth the money in my opinion. put a 7x5 sport prop on it and it really comes alive. way better performance with that prop. everything else stock. rc speedo clocked it at 97mph flying level.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
so will a 2200mah 4 cell fit in this thing ok without any foam carving or alterations? using a 80A ESC and a Turnigy 2836-2350kv motor?
Yeah, should be fine - i regularly fly mine with anything between 3s 1500 and 4s 2200... just make sure you have room under the canopy and if you need to take a little out of the inside canopy to get the 4s back far enough for proper CG - then no-one will even be able to tell!
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
Have Glue Gun...Will Travel
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
That's my favorite setup except that I use the 2836-3500kv.
flying carpet is offline Find More Posts by flying carpet
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Anyone have the radjet and the skyfun? Which one do you like better?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I was wondering, using the turnigy 2836-2350kv motor on a 2200mah 4 cell, can I use my APC 7x5 sport props you think? that is what I use for my stryker q.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
I was wondering, using the turnigy 2836-2350kv motor on a 2200mah 4 cell, can I use my APC 7x5 sport props you think? that is what I use for my stryker q.
That is the setup I had but it was with a 6x4 prop. The tests I have seen on that motor have the real kv at 2800. It was a handful with the 6x4 prop.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
I think the 7x5 prop is a bit too much load for that motor on 4 cells, but a watt meter would confirm this.
I had mine set with a 7x6 on 3s and it was rather quick with that same motor.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Last edited by m_ark; Feb 14, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:09 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
So if I go 3 cells instead the 7x5 might be ok....