HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,656 Posts
Hello all, Does anyone have a Skyfun they would like to sell at a reasonable price? Ive got a couple planes ordered from HK, but it looks like its going to take a month for them to get here. I wanted to order the skyfun, but didnt have the funds at the time. Preferably an arf, bare airframe would be fine as-well. Maybe someone has an extra laying around. Or maybe one thats been crashed and i can salvage. let me know if anyones interested. thanks
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Last edited by gchrisgo34; Dec 20, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Lots of great information on this thread. I've been flying my skyfun for the past couple days and I'm noticing it has a tendency to pitch back. At first I thought it was the CG but then I realized it did this even when I was banking. I've tried to trim it out on the elevator but it only helps a little. I'm thinking it has something to do with the thrust angle of the motor? I've already replaced the stock mount with the mount suggested on this thread that is used for gas to electric conversions. So if it is my thrust angle, which direction does it need to be corrected for in order to stop it from pitching back? I've attached some pictures of my current setup - with some LED's.
ukarmy04 is offline Find More Posts by ukarmy04
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukarmy04 View Post
Lots of great information on this thread. I've been flying my skyfun for the past couple days and I'm noticing it has a tendency to pitch back. At first I thought it was the CG but then I realized it did this even when I was banking. I've tried to trim it out on the elevator but it only helps a little. I'm thinking it has something to do with the thrust angle of the motor? I've already replaced the stock mount with the mount suggested on this thread that is used for gas to electric conversions. So if it is my thrust angle, which direction does it need to be corrected for in order to stop it from pitching back? I've attached some pictures of my current setup - with some LED's.
Use the motor shaft as an imginary line extended out past the end of the back end of the plane. Moving that line down will tend to drive the plane's nose down. The other thing to check first is to make absolutely sure the entire engine is solid ad is not changing under thrust. Don't just check the the mount but check the whole planes body to make sure there are no cracks or voids that can yield small angle changes.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Use the motor shaft as an imginary line extended out past the end of the back end of the plane. Moving that line down will tend to drive the plane's nose down. The other thing to check first is to make absolutely sure the entire engine is solid ad is not changing under thrust. Don't just check the the mount but check the whole planes body to make sure there are no cracks or voids that can yield small angle changes.
Great, thanks for the information Rich. The plane did suffer damage right around the motor mount during one of my first launches. And by damage I mean the entire piece of foam surrounding the mount just broke off from the rest of the plane. I hot glued it back on but this may very well be the source of the angle change occurring under thrust.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Hey Rich, are you moving that line down at the front or at the rear?
My experience has favored tilting the front of the motor downward.

ukarmy04, have you tried moving your battery a little forward just for the sake of trying it? Are you balancing with your fingers a little toward the front of the finger holes? Give it a shot.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:37 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
Hello all, Does anyone have a Skyfun they would like to sell at a reasonable price? Ive got a couple planes ordered from HK, but it looks like its going to take a month for them to get here. I wanted to order the skyfun, but didnt have the funds at the time. Preferably an arf, bare airframe would be fine as-well. Maybe someone has an extra laying around. Or maybe one thats been crashed and i can salvage. let me know if anyones interested. thanks
I get Skyfun wings from HK within 3 weeks, ordering just the wings $12/ea yet to see one broken - with CF elerons they last forever !
here is my latest one:

more pics here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1549875&page=3
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:59 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,656 Posts
i cant believe that thing in those pics actually flys. looks like a piece of foam thats been drifting in a lake for a year. and you put some srvos on it and flew it. pretty cool
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Hey Rich, are you moving that line down at the front or at the rear?
My experience has favored tilting the front of the motor downward.

ukarmy04, have you tried moving your battery a little forward just for the sake of trying it? Are you balancing with your fingers a little toward the front of the finger holes? Give it a shot.
Hey IFly,

Yeah, I did try moving the CG incrementally forward and it did seem to help a little bit but after a certain point it just didn't make much of a difference. I think I moved the CG all the way to about half an inch in front of the finger holes. On another note, I did fiberglass the top of the whole plane using several layers of 18g/m^2 cloth and then put several coats of paint on it (this was my first fiberglass attempt). Unfortunately, I think I might have added too much weight and now it feels like a brick when I fly it (crash it :P) I've attached some pics.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:40 AM
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Dec 2002
317 Posts
That Frnkn WIng conept is interesting. Its very creative indeed. And it flys. Real coool. Keep it up
ed_khan is offline Find More Posts by ed_khan
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:55 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
I have 3 wings based on replacement Skyfun wings
because of size and weight it's easy to ride bicycle with wing behind
even went shopping at supermarket with complete wing on my back
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
but sometimes crashes
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
This is a great thread guys-it's been really helpful in setting up my skyfun. I've got some prop questions at the end but check out my 'journey' if you're interested

I've only been flying RC for just on one year. I didn't known I was interested in RC until my little cousin brought his Turnigy 2350 powered skyfun along to a family Christmas function. Needless to say - I liked what I saw. He had a peregrine falcon chasing it and the skyfun made the world's fastest bird look sluggish. Both my my cousin and father warned me not to learn to fly RC on the skyfun. Try something easier, they said. Learn the basics first. So I jumped on the HK website and bought the skyfun with upgrades, of course - with express shipping. I learnt on the stock set up first. Well, kinda. In my first real flight, I skilfully managed to find the only section of pavement in a huge park and crash nose-first with commendable gusto. Thus, a distinct talent for crashing soon emerged. I broke the nose off so many times that the fuselage began to look more like a banana than the streamlined nose it once resembled.

After learning the basics, I replaced the stock setup with a turning plush 60a ESC and a h2218 3200kv from HK. That thing really screamed on a 4S 2200mah. I bought a second skyfun and put LED strip lighting from HK on the old one for night flying. Not wanting to make my new skyfun feel left out, I made certain to crash it a few times too, just to keep things even. I don't crash anymore (much...) and am amazed at how much punishment these things can take. I've even straightened the stumpy-nosed banana skyfun using steam - and it still flies straight. My 'good' skyfun has also had the motor mount broken off twice during flight; first, the stock and then a 2-3mm steel replacement my dad rigged up. Currently I'm using a steel angle bracket I modified, purchased from Bunnings (Australian equivalent of Home Depot).

I've also made the recommended adjustments to the flaps etc, re-taping with stronger tape and getting rid of the canopy holders. The magnets I used weren't strong enough-I just use a bit of duct tape and have never had the canopy come off with this!

After a 100+ flights and an upgrade to the solid warhorse that is the turnigy 2350kv, I've been experiemnting with as many props as i can get my hands on from 4.1x4.1 to a 6.5x4. The best sub 5 inch prop I tried was definitely the graupner 4.7x4.7. It's much quieter than other brands and fits the prop hub snugly. Now I know the APC speed 6x4 is regarded as the best prop for speed, as far as I have understood this thread, but has anyone tried the 6.5x4 graupner? I only bought this yesterday and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Ground testing my set up with 2350kv, 60 amp ESC, 2200mah 4S reveals:

6x4 APC produces 843w and 57amps
6.5x4 semi scale 400 speed graupner shows 963w and 63amps

Is this prop to big for this set up? The instructions for the german made graupner specify that the propeller tip should not exceed 117 m/s. I'm pretty sure it's spinning much quicker than that.

Also, one last question. What is the best prop for the 2600kv motor rich suggested? I've ordered one and would like to fly it with a 4s. Can it take the 6x4?
PeteFliesBy is offline Find More Posts by PeteFliesBy
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:55 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Interesting story Pete. Glad you found us.

I can't help you with anything 4s. My skill level keeps me at 3200 3s (525w)
and shaky at that. My one-year mark is next month.

My friend is building his stock SkyFun this week.
It's his first full size plane after the UM Champ and UM T-28.

He made some laps last week with my new #2 stock SkyFun and did well.
He flew my Sky Surfer a good bit and landed it beautifully.
It will be interesting. He's progressed fast.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
I have 3 wings based on replacement Skyfun wings
because of size and weight it's easy to ride bicycle with wing behind
even went shopping at supermarket with complete wing on my back
That sorta looks like a photo of a guy controlling his plane with a Wii controller....
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:30 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
fmkit,
If you don't mind...

Are the spars solid carbon fiber?
How are they attached? Looks like a little glue and tape.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
fmkit,
If you don't mind...

Are the spars solid carbon fiber?
How are they attached? Looks like a little glue and tape.
here at russian forum some build photos and movies

latest wings don't use glue at all, just double sided carpet tape to hold spars and carbon plates on top of elevones. 8mm(6mm inner) CF spar,

I'm using nothing but Wii nunchucks for RC for almost 2 years