HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Jun 2008
252 Posts
This is a fun plane, but it should never have been your first.....if you still have your stock motor and prop, I would put them back on. It will go plenty fast enough for you in it's stock configuration...you really don't need to intoduce that much speed the first time out. This plane does fly very well slow....but you really, REALLY should learn to fly one of a dozen or more 4 channel trainers before you try to fly a plane like this......you would learn alot about flying characteristics...
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:41 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroentune View Post
he ! well thanx for the info on the trainer ... sure is my first plane ore should i say was..... i just came back from the maiden and it doesnt look pretty ..

i did to launch it a couple of times but i could not manage to get it airbone in the sky . 3 to 4 seconds that was about it .. it looks like i had too less power from the start .. (launching at half throttle) . had some minor damage here and there..but nothing that a bit of tape could fix .. than i broke the prop .. again ... i had no spare prop but only a 7x4 prop .. put that on and i mange to do some little longer flights , let say .. 8 seconds . main problem i have to work on is that my " mind" to " hand " control needs to improve ..as soon as its in the air its going ok . but than it flew just like you said .. where i put the nose to .. and that was mostly in the ground .. end result , plane is in 10 pieces .. i need a ton of glue to fix it .. but i will . i will make this my practice plane and try over and over . as soon as i can handle it i will buy a new one and rebuilt it with this hardware .

i am running boats for almost 10 years now .. i was hoping flying was a bit more easy as i know now.......

well at least the radio is working like i would !

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen

Sorry to hear what happened. Reminds me of my first attempts to fly an electric powered glider on my own after coming from racing 1/10 electric cars.

I think you really do need someone experienced to help you. It's quite possible the centre of gravity is wrong and of course it will be out of trim. The best way is to have an experienced RC flyer do the maiden for you to at least trim it out on the first flight. If it doesn't fly straight hands off at 50% throttle after trimming there is no way you will be able to fly it.

I agree it not the best first plane for you, mine flies at 85mph on a similar setup! but I did learn to fly on an old Stryker after many flights with a low wing loading glider.

If you can find someone to help at local RC club.

I've been flying for many years now and always find the best flyer in the club to maiden a new plane. So it seems do most of the experienced flyers LOL
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:44 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,767 Posts
A dialed down Skyfun

After ripping the skies up with a lot hot to very hot setups I wanted to see what a dialed down Skyfun would be like. But I didn't want to go all the way to the mind numbing stock set up.

I used this motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma67-2215-1500kv.html

A 1300 3s 40c battery, 30 amp E-Flite ESC (very light and small) and a 6x4E prop.

The setup draws around 12 amps and produces around 140 watts, while weighing 20 ounces. At first this doesn't sound like a lot of power but seems to be right at or just under 1 to 1 thrust and flies like a dream. It does loops easily, is much quieter and will glide all day. I think this setup up really shows the inherent goodness of this plane with it's lack of landing gear drag and big lift area. Anyway it's a very fun to fly, fairly quiet, and relaxed Skyfun. This would of made a great stock setup.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:59 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
816 Posts
Hello again Skyfun addicts!

Here is a stock Skyfun flying over a So Cal neighborhood in July 2011. Although it's an easy plane to fly (once you've got the hand launch technique without losing a finger!) I still recommend flying it for beginners over a large field. As you can see there are cars on both sides of the street!
HobbyKing Skyfun Pusher and Mini Mustang Flying over neighborhood (2 min 49 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Jun 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post
OK, me, being the cheapscape that I am, have ordered the 2212-6 from RCTimer.com. I've seen some examples about reversing the motor shaft so that it can be mounted inboard (although not a requirement). So, I'm going to give that a shot. With a 6x4 prop it should take about 19amps at around 70mph with 26 oz. thrust (www.flybrushless.com). If I think I need to go faster, a Zagi Carbon 5.1x4.9 will give me 89 mph @17amps and 19.5 oz. thrust.

I should be able to do this and still use the 25(35 max)amp ESC that came with the plane. I'll update later on shipping time and shaft reversal attempt.

Mike
OK, so I got my 2212-6 motor from RCtimer.com. It only took a week and two days to arrive. I talked to a buddy of mine about reversing the shaft in the motor to be able to mount it on the inside of the motor mount. He said I should go ahead and mount it on the outside first. He thought it would work fine or better that way and there was still plenty of room inside the canopy to get the COG correct. He was right. I put a 6x4e prop on it and hooked up my watt meter for a test....I compared my numbers to what Flybrushless.com showed for a Suppo 2212-6. Very close...Flybrushless showed 19.8 A and 211 watt @ 70mph....my watt meter showed 20.9 A and 239 watts. Took it out to the flying field yesterday and she really performed well...much faster (although I don't have a way to measure MPH). I don't think it hit 70 mph, but it was much faster than stock. I don't think it has unlimited vertical, but after about 300 feet up, I did not really want to go any higher....definitely a better fit with a wide open area to fly in.

Total upgrade cost over the stock was $16...the motor was $11 and five 6x4e blades was $5 (all with free shipping). Maxing out the amp draw at only 21 allowed me to keep the stock ESC (25/35 max rating).

Pretty happy with these overall results...

According to Flybrushless, a Zagi Carbon 5.1 x 4.9 blade will do 89 mph at around 17 amps.....I've googled these blades and can't seem to locate any sellers. I assume they don't make these blades anymore? Even at Zagi.com. Anyone know if these blades still exists?

Mike
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Hi all, just thought I'd share a video of my custom build Skyfun now I have had a chance to test fly it.

I have called it ASBO and recon its hitting about 130mph (ish)
This plane started as a SkyFun foamy, I covered it in Fibre Glass, made some serious changes.

Specifications:
Motor: Turnigy 3648 Brushless Motor 1450kv
Prop: 8x4 E (Will try a 7x6 next)
ESC: Hobbyking SS Series 90-100A ESC
Battery: 2 x Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJ9zOLTyHQ

Build pics can be seen @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post18104282
AndyInKent is offline Find More Posts by AndyInKent
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:27 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Savior View Post
The plane in the link claims to be EPO. The Skyfun is NOT EPO--it is plain old polystyrene cooler foam.
Yes they epo from the ones I have.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,539 Posts
Thats pretty sick. Andy . Just bought one of these and keeping it stock for the maiden, after I get the hang of the flight characteristics..... who knows.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Thats pretty sick. Andy . Just bought one of these and keeping it stock for the maiden, after I get the hang of the flight characteristics..... who knows.
Sadly the stock is right on the edge of being too underpowered for much wind. Keep the throttle wide open if have wind and are turning. Not a lot of margin.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Thanks

Its a bit of a flying brick tbh, I think I over did the fibre glass and too much resin. Its bloody fast tho, oh and very LOUD!!!!!

Gonna stick a 7x6 prop on next and I have better batteries in the post
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Sadly the stock is right on the edge of being too underpowered for much wind. Keep the throttle wide open if have wind and are turning. Not a lot of margin.
Hmm I wouldnt say its lots under though, I had loads of fun flying stock. Its just a bit more floaty and you have to get the GC bang on, I think its a great plane as stock, but much more fun with "a few mods" :P
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInKent View Post
Hmm I wouldnt say its lots under though, I had loads of fun flying stock. Its just a bit more floaty and you have to get the GC bang on, I think its a great plane as stock, but much more fun with "a few mods" :P
Saying that, I did find sticking a Turnigy2836 2350kv motor on made things much more exciting Oh and you can stick a 4 cell in :P
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Been busy again tonight, had to make a nice big ramp for the ASBO :P

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506139
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:28 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInKent View Post
I think we will have to disagree on this one. Get that large surface area exposed to a decent wind and the stock motor doesn't put up much of a fight. It becomes a real hand full.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Jun 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I think we will have to disagree on this one. Get that large surface area exposed to a decent wind and the stock motor doesn't put up much of a fight. It becomes a real hand full.
I think the stock setup is pretty nice for anyone that hasn't flown anything fast...I'm coming from a couple of high wing trainers, Hobbyzone Supercub and a Multiplex Minimag. The stock Skyfun was plenty faster than those two planes, and since it's flying characteristics are 'point and shoot' with no self-correcting attributes, it took a little time to get used to. After I got used to controlling it correctly, a small upgrade cost of $16 gets you a LOT more performance than stock....

Having said that, if you are coming from flying faster low wing planes...Rich is correct, the stock setup is pretty weak....

One thing for sure....it is a pretty cool looking plane when it is streaking across the sky or when going vertical....

Mike