450 BOY is offline Find More Posts by 450 BOY
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post
Atx_Heli.....is this the same motor? Seems pretty cheap out of China.....

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=116
appears to be....I've gotten a couple from lowest price sellers on Ebay from China/HK....haven't put enough hours (ie >20hr) on them to comment on longevity...but for the price you can't go wrong I don't think..
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:59 PM
I tell her that RC is cheap
Australia, New South Wales, Hurlstone Park
Joined Mar 2011
130 Posts
I finally got my 2350kv and 60A ESC hooked up and running in my SKyfun on the weekend and ran it on 3S and wow what a difference. A couple of problems though. The can of the motor has rubbed on the motor mount but it only rubs on one side of the can so the shaft must have a tiny bend in it. Also, it was very loud at a certain point in the throttle so it seems the slight bend is making quite a vibration as well. I think i will just get another motor and skip the inevitable messing about trying to get this one sorted.

It was super fast though! I think i will stick with 3S for now. Thats enough adrenalline until i get used to the speed.
andrewp7 is offline Find More Posts by andrewp7
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:00 AM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post
I finally got my 2350kv and 60A ESC hooked up and running in my SKyfun on the weekend and ran it on 3S and wow what a difference. A couple of problems though. The can of the motor has rubbed on the motor mount but it only rubs on one side of the can so the shaft must have a tiny bend in it. Also, it was very loud at a certain point in the throttle so it seems the slight bend is making quite a vibration as well. I think i will just get another motor and skip the inevitable messing about trying to get this one sorted.

It was super fast though! I think i will stick with 3S for now. Thats enough adrenalline until i get used to the speed.
Have you tried balancing the prop and spinner? I did have the same problem with mine in that at a certain throttle setting it would be really noisy.
After balancing it would be quiet on most runs but completely disappeared when I changed the motor to a Turnigy 2350, maybe just luck!
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88
Last edited by Esprit 88; Aug 29, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:09 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post

As mentioned prop balancing is essential. Also check to make sure that the motor mount is very tight. As the plane ages I have had to hot glue my motor mounts. Hot glue works better that CA, or epoxy, as those adhesives both crack with age and vibration.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2008
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
appears to be....I've gotten a couple from lowest price sellers on Ebay from China/HK....haven't put enough hours (ie >20hr) on them to comment on longevity...but for the price you can't go wrong I don't think..
OK, me, being the cheapscape that I am, have ordered the 2212-6 from RCTimer.com. I've seen some examples about reversing the motor shaft so that it can be mounted inboard (although not a requirement). So, I'm going to give that a shot. With a 6x4 prop it should take about 19amps at around 70mph with 26 oz. thrust (www.flybrushless.com). If I think I need to go faster, a Zagi Carbon 5.1x4.9 will give me 89 mph @17amps and 19.5 oz. thrust.

I should be able to do this and still use the 25(35 max)amp ESC that came with the plane. I'll update later on shipping time and shaft reversal attempt.

Mike
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:54 PM
Power To You
Nederland, ZH, Sassenheim
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
we go on ...

he guys .. back again . ok first he link in the netherlands , here you can buy a lot of fly stuff for a fair price .. this is for the euro guys here ... :
http://www.rc-addict.nl/

Esprit , thanx for the heads up .. i think i am on the right track . still some stuff to do .
i cleared the canopy problem ..i will use a pin in the front and a screw on in the back .. the last thing i allready fixed .. maybe not so good looking but sure very strong and easy this is not comming off ! i made some small carbon and wood parts and a bolt with a blind nut . there is a fixed nut on the bolt, this will make sure i do not tighten the canopy to much but keep the pressure " spot on "

works perfect .. !

Jeroen
jeroentune is offline Find More Posts by jeroentune
Last edited by jeroentune; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:17 AM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
canopy

today was canopy day . i took of the front stock mount and drilled a hole trough the plane and cockpit. i used 2 carbon fiber hollowrods that i glued in there. in the canopy i glued in a piece of fuel line. i use a carbon boom as a stick that goes trough all . the fuel line will make it stick inside firmly.

than i painted the canopy in black .. i used spraypaint and painted the inside. nice glossy finish on the outside. and i cant nick off any black now .. .

at last i added some orange decals on the bottom of the plane to make it more reflecting i hope it helps a bit.

waiting for the electro parts to arive. still in doubt if i would glass the nose......

here are some pics. ..
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:14 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Jeroen,
You've done very well to this point.
You will find that you need a LOT more color on top of this plane.
Fluorescent orange is best for me.
It's hard to to tell top from bottom at speed and distance.
Check the pics here for a great example of contrasting colors:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=398
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
And I would add some color to the nose and the leading edges of the wings. You will be shocked at how easily this plane can simply vanish for a couple of seconds at a time when you are turning directly toward yourself (although your black canopy should help with this). This manuever typically also happens when the plane is the furthest away from you!
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:35 PM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
collors

thanx for the heads up ! i will work on that .

right now i have to wait for the motor and other stuf to come in .. a good time to spend time on the radio .. i have to study on that .. i use to run boats and use a wheel radio .. also with 2.4gh 80 mph hydros looks like flying too .....
now i bought a new HK 6 radio with 6 channels . it will be a whole new story for me .. if all goos right i can throttle and roll with my right hand and steer and go up and down with my left hand .. i just dont understand the whole mixing from left right and roll .. i think i just have to see it in real time to understand ....

thanx again .

Jeroen
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:09 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,596 Posts
My Skyfun is probably lightest one, I used 1mm 10x15cm carbon plate instead of center-plane. Without battery it is 290gram and today I flew with over 200gram payload to make sure it will carry FPV pod.
BtW, HK charged just $6 to deliver the wings.
skyfun_.mp4 (2 min 5 sec)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
props,

today was a strange day ...

i received some parts for the sky fun , the motor , the esc and the lipo's.
mounted everything in place, checked all connectors and lipo.
i wanted to test the radio and esc so i hooked up the electronics and did some testing . all worked fine , the receiver bined easy with the radio. the esc reacts good and the motor spins nice on the radio throttle stick.
time to check the prop and spin direction. i could not find help o
in the manual about how to mount the prop. so i followed the lousy pictures in the manual. and again i connected the electronics. as soon as i throttle the motor i knew i should follow my guts... the prop was on wrong and the air thrust was in the front and not behind the plane ....

than i made huge mistake that will leave some marks..
i wanted to check if the motor was spinning the right direction and there i made a mistake ... i changed the reverse switch on the radio..in a split second the motor went to full throttle and took of from my working bench. instinctively i stopped the plane with my hand and hear a bang and felt pain in my hand, another splitt
second later my plane was sprayed red with blood.. the prop has cutt 2 very deep cutts in my thumb. blood was every where.. the prop was completely destroyed it must have hit my bone..

now i am typing this pretty long reply with one hand.. it will take some days to recover..and i wrecked a prop without flying...one small good thing...dont need to add collorfull decals on top anymore...it all red spatter on it now ...

lesson learned.... will sleep with some pain.....

jeroen
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:12 PM
Goz
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
Ouch Jeroen hard way to learn a lesson, but I 'll bet you won't forget it for a while though.

Hope the thumb heals quickly.
Goz is offline Find More Posts by Goz
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:21 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
You got blood on the plane.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs