SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:43 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post
Atx_Heli.....is this the same motor? Seems pretty cheap out of China.....

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=116
That motor seeems to have the shaft through the wrong way for the Skyfun moiunt.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
Power To You
Nederland, ZH, Sassenheim
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
building the thing

i unpacked the boxes and checked out the parts. used the manual so far as it goes .. glued the wings with a special CA glue and filled the cracks with that glue and added accelerator. sanded the rough parts of and also the surface where i used glue. added velcro on the inside of the plane so i can play arround with the electronics . than i glues the canopy firm in place with the same CA glue. feels all firm .. tomorrow i will hunt for carbon booms so i can make the plane a bit stronger .
there is a esc and motor in the kit but i heared that i better go for an upgrade ..

if i want to use a 2300 kv motor with a 3 S pack what would be the best ESC for that and can i use the stock prop ? any speed ideas ?

here are some pics ..

Jeroen
jeroentune is offline Find More Posts by jeroentune
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,368 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...30mm_KIT_.html

Was thinking about getting a new Skyfun kit until I saw this....hummmmm
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:08 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,105 Posts
These 2 items make a great combination and has fast delivery. 6x4E prop for me:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a16-09-motor2600kv.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1017-50a-esc.html
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroentune View Post
i unpacked the boxes and checked out the parts. used the manual so far as it goes .. glued the wings with a special CA glue and filled the cracks with that glue and added accelerator. sanded the rough parts of and also the surface where i used glue. added velcro on the inside of the plane so i can play arround with the electronics . than i glues the canopy firm in place with the same CA glue. feels all firm .. tomorrow i will hunt for carbon booms so i can make the plane a bit stronger .
there is a esc and motor in the kit but i heared that i better go for an upgrade ..

if i want to use a 2300 kv motor with a 3 S pack what would be the best ESC for that and can i use the stock prop ? any speed ideas ?

here are some pics ..

Jeroen
I use the stock size prop with a 2300KV motor and a 60amp ESC for both 3s and 4s.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:12 PM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
motor

Thanx .. ok i will go for the 2300 motor and 60 amps esc .. fo i need to make a stronger motor mount for that motor ore will the stock one be strong enough ?

i like to finish the plane with 1 layer of epoxy at the end , .... wise ore not ?

Jeroen
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:52 PM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
lipo..s

I am used to work with Carbon fiber so i just went back to the hobby room and made a carbon fiber under layment for the motor mount . its allready glued in ..

since i am in the netherlands, i can only buy stuff from hobbyking in the german warehouse. i will order the 60 amps esc . i like to run it with a 2500KV turnigy inrunner motor. the choise of lipo's is ok but not so big as the main warehouse. i am thinking on a tunigy 2200mh 3 S 25 C pack ... will this combo work .. ?

concidering the european warehouse .. should i change my setup ideas ?

Jeroen
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I ordered that RCTimer 2212-6 2200KV motor a couple of months ago to go on a different scratchbuilt plane because the BP Hobbies motor of the same name and KV had been out of stock for a long while.

The RCTimer motor seems nice but is a little larger and heavier than the BP Hobbies that finally got restocked and I now have on my SkyFun. I really like it on my SkyFun and it uses only 26 amps at WOT with 6x4 APCe prop and 3S 30c batts. I've only tested direction of rotation on the RCTimer motor, I haven't completed and flown that other plane so I don't know how much thrust it will actually make.
Also the BP Hobbies motor comes with bullet connectors soldered on, you have to do it yourself with the RCTimer as well as the extra wait time for shipping.

Both motors do require mounting outboard on the SkyFun, but that's what I prefer anyway due to my mount not having full 28mm clearance. Being outboard, the lighter weight of the BP Hobbies version is helpful.

My stock SkyFun props didn't have any shaft adapter inside, it was just mounted badly with many mm of slop on either side, really terrible! So I've never used them but heard they flex too much for high rpm.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Last edited by soundguy63; Aug 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:43 AM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
just in case...

i went to the local hobby shop here close by and picked up some carbon rods and strips.
i used 3 mm full carbon rods for the wings in the long slots . used CA glue to fix it and than epoxy to seal it .. than u used the 4 mm hollow rods in the servo slot . i made the slot a bit bigger so the rod and servo wire will go in easy .. fxed it with ca and than filled it with epoxy.

i also bought some nice carbon strips .. 1 cm wide 100 cm long .but 0.5 mm thick. i used a piece of that for on the bottom. fixes it with ca glue . than i added some very strong but light weight clear tape over the slots and also as reinforcement on the wings ..

than i addes some carbon fiber strips at the rear of the plane as well . this will make it strong and stiff. same here some HQ tape here and there to reinforce the plane.

i also added 2 strips on the inside of the plane right in the middle towards the nose.i hope this will make it a bit stronger. i have some carbon fiber rods left to renforce the canopy later.

since i have never had a plane and new to stick radio's .. i think this reinforcements may help me to fly the plane a bit longer...

here are some pics .

Jeroen
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Jeroen,
Be sure to take steps to Retain the canopy.
The stock clips are near useless.
I removed all stock clips and used magnets plus a bamboo skewer holding pin in the front.
Also be sure the clear canopy bubble is well secured to the canopy. Usually barely attached from the factory.
Also consider the battery as a projectile in a crash. If it's not held in place, anything in front of it will get creamed.
There are posts and pics about these issues if you need ideas.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
I ordered that RCTimer 2212-6 2200KV motor a couple of months ago to go on a different scratchbuilt plane because the BP Hobbies motor of the same name and KV had been out of stock for a long while.

The RCTimer motor seems nice but is a little larger and heavier than the BP Hobbies that finally got restocked and I now have on my SkyFun. I really like it on my SkyFun and it uses only 26 amps at WOT with 6x4 APCe prop and 3S 30c batts. I've only tested direction of rotation on the RCTimer motor, I haven't completed and flown that other plane so I don't know how much thrust it will actually make.
Also the BP Hobbies motor comes with bullet connectors soldered on, you have to do it yourself with the RCTimer as well as the extra wait time for shipping.

Both motors do require mounting outboard on the SkyFun, but that's what I prefer anyway due to my mount not having full 28mm clearance. Being outboard, the lighter weight of the BP Hobbies version is helpful.

My stock SkyFun props didn't have any shaft adapter inside, it was just mounted badly with many mm of slop on either side, really terrible! So I've never used them but heard they flex too much for high rpm.
Flex too much is an understatement. How about self distructed and almost stabbed me sound...
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:34 PM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
servo.s

Thanx Mr Memphis for the tips .

i had a problem with the servo covers , the just dont fit right and since i add some strong tape on the bottom of the wing the glue doesnt stick to that tape that well . i found the covers kinda ugly and bigger than the should be. I decided to leave them alone and to bult my own .. i cut 2 pieces out of epoxy plate and shaped them into protectors. than made a slot in the wing and glued them in place . i did the same with a small one in the nose of the plane .. i hope that that protector will do his work and save the nose and belly a bit during landings (drop out of the skys.....)

i glued the canopy glass with CA glue over the entire lenght of the glass. inside and outside. the stock cowl locks are still there .. i will leave them there but i will make another cowl lock system .. i have to think about that. as soon as the lipo pack comes in i will make a frame for it so it will stay where i want it ti stay .. thanx for the heades up .

still the key question for me ... i want to order the 2500kv motor from turnigy with a plush 60 amps and a couple of 3S 2200 mh 25 C packs . fly with the stock prop . sound like a good combo ? if not .. what should i change...?

thanks ..

Jeroen
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:49 PM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroentune View Post
Thanx Mr Memphis for the tips .

i had a problem with the servo covers , the just dont fit right and since i add some strong tape on the bottom of the wing the glue doesnt stick to that tape that well . i found the covers kinda ugly and bigger than the should be. I decided to leave them alone and to bult my own .. i cut 2 pieces out of epoxy plate and shaped them into protectors. than made a slot in the wing and glued them in place . i did the same with a small one in the nose of the plane .. i hope that that protector will do his work and save the nose and belly a bit during landings (drop out of the skys.....)

i glued the canopy glass with CA glue over the entire lenght of the glass. inside and outside. the stock cowl locks are still there .. i will leave them there but i will make another cowl lock system .. i have to think about that. as soon as the lipo pack comes in i will make a frame for it so it will stay where i want it ti stay .. thanx for the heades up .

still the key question for me ... i want to order the 2500kv motor from turnigy with a plush 60 amps and a couple of 3S 2200 mh 25 C packs . fly with the stock prop . sound like a good combo ? if not .. what should i change...?

thanks ..

Jeroen
Ziet er goed uit!
Looking good! Re your canopy, make sure you lock it in the front else it will come off in flight. Happened to me on the second flight in a high speed pass and I had 3 pairs of strong earth magnets fixed.

Regarding your setup:
The plush 60 is perfect, but if I were you I would go for the 2836-3200kv and the 2836-2350 (approx 2800kv) on 4S pack in stead of 3S. In your case it will be a blast as you fly at or below sealevel. That is max performance of your setup. I fly at 1750m above sealevel and generaly loose about 25-30% of potential power. Have a look at my prop data tabels a few post ago and decide on the prop combination to use.
This plane needs to be flown HOT!.
Succes.
Jerrel
MoreSpeed is offline Find More Posts by MoreSpeed
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
Power To You
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
speed

He Jerrel !
thanx for your info .. yess we are flying below sea level .. you should know that .. i am 10 minutes of the coastline but well protected by the dikes here .

i will work with the canopy this week . i have some ideas but i have to figure out what's the best way to go with .

i cant lay my hands on that motor you al ltalk about ..(offcouse i can buy it in the USA store but i have to pay huge taxes over it and i dont want that ) . so i have to do with the german warehouse and i think the 2500 KV is a good alternative. i also want to start with the 3S packs .. i am a 100%newbie with flying so i want to start " slowly " a couple of 4S packs are bought easy right ?

some more things i need to know ?

Jeroen

Edit :

Just found a german site where i could buy stuff .. so i got the motor you all like the 2350 motor. also a 50 amps (60 amps peak) ESc with Bec and 2 lipo.s 2200 3 S 25 C . that should do it for the first 20 flights right ?

cant wait !

Jeroen
Last edited by jeroentune; Aug 28, 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: found a good suplier.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
Per Ardua ad Astra
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jan 2005
398 Posts
Edit :

Just found a german site where i could buy stuff .. so i got the motor you all like the 2350 motor. also a 50 amps (60 amps peak) ESc with Bec and 2 lipo.s 2200 3 S 25 C . that should do it for the first 20 flights right ?

cant wait !

Jeroen[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeroen

That sounds good to me. I have the same sort of setup using a Graupner 6x4 prop my Watts Up meter reads 31A and 325 watts static.

In the air that means 85mph and about 6mins flight time to use 80% of the lipo pack.
Esprit 88 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit 88