HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:00 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,046 Posts
hay folks what kind of battery weights are you running with the stock set RTF set up, the 1300 mah batterys have a wide weight range. thanks
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:26 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Well I decided to go back and fly some 4 cell. I put the 60 amp ESC back on ran it up with a 4s battery. It blew the partially empty tool box right off of it's stand. I have a 40c battery. Will fly it soon. This is the Turnigy 2836-2350with 6x4 E prop.
Well I flew it the 4s this morning. It is very impressive but it is so fast it eats up our flying area in a couple of seconds. Also disappears straight up very quickly. I know it isn't that much faster than the 3 cell in relative terms but is outside my comfort level as it's been a long time since I have done a 4 cell. I was going to take readings but decided I didn't want to get near the $2.50 prop at full throttle.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,758 Posts
Skyfun on 4s 2836 2350 6x4 prop. Crappy video through the canopy but the audio catches the extremes from wind milling to close to 30+K RPM

4s 2836 2350 6x4.wmv (0 min 21 sec)
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
I'm running my mod'd Skyfun on 2836-2350, 6x4 prop, 4 cell nan-tech, 60A ESC & metal gear servos.
Had a speed run with a friend flying a Habu (stock) and they are the same speed

My Skyfun is a lot heavier however, I have covered it in one complete coat of 48g firbe glass, the bonus is I have hit the deck hard a couple of times and the plane just bounces :P

Bit of a trade off for the weight but still flies like a rocket!

BTW, I have noticed that the 2836-2350 is very prone to the thred stripping where the grub screw is. Anyone know of a better motor of the same kind of power? One where the motor isnt made of ali, I have stripped a couple of them now
AndyInKent is offline Find More Posts by AndyInKent
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:27 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInKent View Post
I'm running my mod'd Skyfun on 2836-2350, 6x4 prop, 4 cell nan-tech, 60A ESC & metal gear servos.
Had a speed run with a friend flying a Habu (stock) and they are the same speed

My Skyfun is a lot heavier however, I have covered it in one complete coat of 48g firbe glass, the bonus is I have hit the deck hard a couple of times and the plane just bounces :P

Bit of a trade off for the weight but still flies like a rocket!

BTW, I have noticed that the 2836-2350 is very prone to the thred stripping where the grub screw is. Anyone know of a better motor of the same kind of power? One where the motor isnt made of ali, I have stripped a couple of them now
Some people disagree with this but I, absolutely wouldn't fly this plane with anything but the prop brake OFF. Also take some extra time and get the grub really tight. Once I did that it hasn't been an isuue. I'm running mine clockwise so I don't have to use hard to find pusher peops.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Some people disagree with this but I, absolutely wouldn't fly this plane with anything but the prop brake OFF. Also take some extra time and get the grub really tight. Once I did that it hasn't been an isuue. I'm running mine clockwise so I don't have to use hard to find pusher peops.
Not sure what you are saying here but I never run with ESC brake set to on, on either heli or plank :P

"get the grub really tight", thats the problem, its made of ali! The threds are like chocolate!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:49 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what you are saying here but I never run with ESC brake set to on, on either heli or plank :P

"get the grub really tight", thats the problem, its made of ali! The threds are like chocolate!
Sorry I was mixing grub screw and Collet. Use a Collet and you aren't dependent on the little 3mm set screw taht are always stripped or frozen.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=0&item_id=412
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Jun 20, 2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I was mixing grub screw and Collet. Use a Collet and you aren't dependent on the little 3mm set screw taht are always stripped or frozen.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=0&item_id=412
Lol, nah I was talking about the grub screw in the motor housing, its the grub screw that holds the main shaft in the motor housing.
Its made of ali and very soft I am open to offers on a replacement with stronger thred
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Lol, nah I was talking about the grub screw in the motor housing, its the grub screw that holds the main shaft in the motor housing.
Its made of ali and very soft I am open to offers on a replacement with stronger thred
2 great countries seperated by a common language.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
2 great countries seperated by a common language.
Hahaha, very true :P
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
320 Posts
Tried a discus launch today... oops, not good. That's the first "incident" I've had with the SkyFun that resulted in any damage. Just smooshed in the nose, nothing else seems wrong and it still flew fine after launching it two more flights the traditional way.
The Motrolfly motor and ESC are still working well. This motor windmills more easily, which makes the landings hotter. I don't think I had braking on with any of the previous ESC's, but those props would usually come to a stop before touchdown and provide just enough drag for a shorter approach and landing.
With all the talk of the new Q Stryker is anyone considering modding the SkyFun for rudders and/or speed brakes?
I already had a cheap 6-channel receiver in mine, so it would be easy to add two more servos and some rudders.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Last edited by soundguy63; Jun 26, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
With all the talk of the new Q Stryker is anyone considering modding the SkyFun for rudders and/or speed brakes?
I intend to do this very thing today. I don't think I'll get to fly it today, however--rain.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
320 Posts
Cool! I'd like to see exactly how you go about it and whether you're happy with the results during flight testing.
Since getting the SkyFun I've been thinking about many different ways to implement this and which might be easiest and most effective, while still keeping the airframe as clean as possible.
Do you plan to add rudder panels to the rear edge of the fins or cut the rudders out of the fins?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
ROFLCOPTER
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
Cool! I'd like to see exactly how you go about it and whether you're happy with the results during flight testing.
Since getting the SkyFun I've been thinking about many different ways to implement this and which might be easiest and most effective, while still keeping the airframe as clean as possible.
Do you plan to add rudder panels to the rear edge of the fins or cut the rudders out of the fins?
I put on the rudders yesterday, but didn't have time to test until today. I cut them out of pink fanfold 6.25" x 1.5" and then gave a slight taper to the bottom edges. All I did was hinge them up and mount some servos to the sides of the fin. I wasn't concerned about using anything more sturdy as I don't really use rudders in flight--I even used un-supported 0.032" music wire for pushrods. These thin pushrods give a little when pushing, but are strong enough for airbrakes when they both pull outward at the same time.

I spent some time fine tuning my transmitter's programming, so I could get the mixes just the way I like. I felt I needed to make the rudder throws bigger and mix in some down elevator while in flap2 (full brake) so I still have some control at slow speed and so it doesn't pitch up suddenly when braking. The performance of this quick mod has exceeded my every expectation. It almost makes me want to put landing gear on the plane so I can do crosswind takeoffs and landings.

I was able to land in very little horizontal space by simply diving down low, leveling out, and braking for a slow and smooth descent and deceleration.
Iron Savior is offline Find More Posts by Iron Savior
Last edited by Iron Savior; Jun 28, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Aug 2010
320 Posts
Very interesting! I'm going to add this mod to my list of projects. I will probably experiment with a more exotic shape of rudder. Narrow at the top and much wider at the bottom.
Which TX do you have?