HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2011, 03:02 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post
Thanks for the advice Rich I will give the 5x5 a turn first and pick up some 6x4 as soon as I can.

ANy advice on the ESC setup for the Trunigy 60A Plush as in timings etc?
Two important ones that should be the default. Timing on LOW and BRAKE OFF will save a lot of props. That should be the way the ESC is set from the factory.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 03:19 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Has anyone tried a 4s 1800 with the Turnigy 2836-2350 on a 6 x 4 prop?

Hey thx Pete...Join the club and get a SkyFun too..I just wish the USA warehouse sold just the barebones kits without electrics...

Ian
After the cost of shipping, you only spent $10 more to buy the USA package, strip out the motor and ESC and sell on EBay or drains list for $10 and it's a push.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old May 29, 2011, 03:26 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
After the cost of shipping, you only spent $10 more to buy the USA package, strip out the motor and ESC and sell on EBay or drains list for $10 and it's a push.
Or give them to friends who use the motor on a home built foamie.. They love you for it. The motor only draws around 10 amps, or less, with the stock prop..Not a bad motor but just doesn't seem to be enough for this app.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
For discreet flying in a local park what would be the quietest motor/prop setup?

at present i have a 7x5e installed, and am running the turnigy 2835 2530kv for a 3s 1500. But all the foam becomes very resonant with even the smallest vibration.

I also have the stock 6x4 and a 5x5e prop.
(I have some 4s 2200's to run with the 5x5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Two important ones that should be the default. Timing on LOW and BRAKE OFF will save a lot of props. That should be the way the ESC is set from the factory.
See i would have thought, set the motor to BRAKE=ON and blip the motor before landing to fix the prop horizontal...
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old May 29, 2011, 09:49 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
For discreet flying in a local park what would be the quietest motor/prop setup?

at present i have a 7x5e installed, and am running the turnigy 2835 2530kv for a 3s 1500. But all the foam becomes very resonant with even the smallest vibration.

I also have the stock 6x4 and a 5x5e prop.
(I have some 4s 2200's to run with the 5x5)

See i would have thought, set the motor to BRAKE=ON and blip the motor before landing to fix the prop horizontal...
Good look with getting the prop horizontal. I think would take great skill, vision, and luck. Just leave the brake off, the ground will push it out of the way unless you land very very hard or fast.

I have never found any quiet setup. Like you say it's quite a resonant surface with a cockpit for a cavity.
Old May 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
My current setup is pretty quiet. It's a 28mm 370 level motor at a slow 1050KV with an 8x5 prop. Plenty of thrust for hand launching but calm and graceful in flight. I think the magnets on the foam part and the hot glue and tape on the clear part of the canopy help with noise too.
My prop almost always stops level on its own due to the lack of airflow at that point I'm guessing.
Despite the fact I had to hang that motor off the end of the motormount, balance is good with a 1500mah 30C 3S and an extended cable. My ESC is also a little more forward too.
A six minute flight required 960mah to recharge the next day. Mostly 2/3 throttle.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old May 29, 2011, 03:58 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,370 Posts
I thought some of the resonance was from the stabs too but really at full bore it's very loud...LOL
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old May 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
409 Posts
Hi all

I recently flew my skyfun for the first time. I have a 2836 motor, 2400mah battery, 6x4 prop and a cheap HK elevon mixer. CoG at the front of the finger holes.

Before takeoff the elevons were centred and had a decent amount of throw. Once in the air i had to give it full right stick to try and level the wings out, but even then it wasnt enough. left stick would make it roll violently. I ended up snapping the nose off in a messy 'landing'.

Any idea what could cause this? Something must be a bit strange...
Thanks
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old May 30, 2011, 12:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
For the 2836-2350kv I would run mid timing, or even high if it doesn't get hot, low timing is only for low pole count motors.

Definitely use brake, most times its horizontal or just takes one or two blips or throttle to get it horizontal and it's surprisingly easy to see it as its approaching for landing. Having brake on reduces drag when gliding, and the skyfun is very good at that.

To keep it quiet you need the prop to be further away from the trailing edge, and mounting the motor as an outboard will do just that.
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old May 30, 2011, 01:28 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
For the 2836-2350kv I would run mid timing, or even high if it doesn't get hot, low timing is only for low pole count motors.

Definitely use brake, most times its horizontal or just takes one or two blips or throttle to get it horizontal and it's surprisingly easy to see it as its approaching for landing. Having brake on reduces drag when gliding, and the skyfun is very good at that.

To keep it quiet you need the prop to be further away from the trailing edge, and mounting the motor as an outboard will do just that.
I'll try to find Dr Kiwi's review but the 2836-2350 is a very low pole count motor. In fact Dr. Kiwi showed where the actual pole count is half of what the magnets are as the magent are in series rather than all the north lined up the same way. Well I found a picture. Notice how every other magnet is red. It was explained this is only a 3 pole motor.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:00 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Sorry I thought it was a 10 pole from memory, so mid timing is alk you should ever use. I don't think Dr Kiwi quite said that. A motor with 6 magnets has 3 north poles and 3 south poles, and that's how you count the number of poles for the purpose of setting timing on an esc.

Ian
Old May 30, 2011, 03:21 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I thought it was a 10 pole from memory, so mid timing is alk you should ever use. I don't think Dr Kiwi quite said that. A motor with 6 magnets has 3 north poles and 3 south poles, and that's how you count the number of poles for the purpose of setting timing on an esc.

Ian
I am still trying to find the post. I remember there was signifigance to the magnets altrernated instead all red ends being facing the same direction and I thought the word "series" was used for the alignment. I sure would like to learn this. How many poles does is this motor rated as, and what would the difference be if all the magnets were aligend in the same direction?

This has been murky for me.

One other thought. This motor is supposed be a 2350Kv but Dr Kiwi said it tested out to be a 2800Kv. On my test it drew 38 amps on a 3s battery and 6x4 prop. While this motor:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a16-09-motor2600kv.html

shows 2600Kv and draws 43 amps on the same setup. I haven't been able to get reliable tach readings on either (I need to get them outside in direct sunlight) but the Airfield motor is signifigantly faster in flight (with the same setup). Interesting how Kv ratings seem to be quite a bit lower than actual.
Last edited by Rich in ILM; May 30, 2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:43 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for confirming this, i was thinking along similar lines - moving the prop away from the body is another great idea!
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old May 30, 2011, 04:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I am still trying to find the post. I remember there was signifigance to the magnets altrernated instead all red ends being facing the same direction and I thought the word "series" was used for the alignment. I sure would like to learn this. How many poles does is this motor rated as, and what would the difference be if all the magnets were aligend in the same direction?

This has been murky for me.

One other thought. This motor is supposed be a 2350Kv but Dr Kiwi said it tested out to be a 2800Kv. On my test it drew 38 amps on a 3s battery and 6x4 prop. While this motor:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a16-09-motor2600kv.html

shows 2600Kv and draws 43 amps on the same setup. I haven't been able to get reliable tach readings on either (I need to get them outside in direct sunlight) but the Airfield motor is signifigantly faster in flight (with the same setup). Interesting how Kv ratings seem to be quite a bit lower than actual.
"

They have to be north south north south etc, the motor would not work with them all pointing north. A 2 pole motor always has a north and a south pole. 4 pole NSNS etc.

The 2350kv turnigy has always been a lot hotter than advertised, and might be very similar quality to the hobbypartz motor, both kinda average rim from watts. Is the main thing to worry about.
Old May 30, 2011, 06:56 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
"

They have to be north south north south etc, the motor would not work with them all pointing north. A 2 pole motor always has a north and a south pole. 4 pole NSNS etc.

The 2350kv turnigy has always been a lot hotter than advertised, and might be very similar quality to the hobbypartz motor, both kinda average rim from watts. Is the main thing to worry about.
That makes very good sense. Thanks you!