SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2011, 05:23 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
The servo protector just don't fit well unfortunately. Rich...the 4s really is that dramatic of an increase in speed? I guess there is no need to fly EDF after this...LOL.

soundguy63...that plane from hobbylobby looks cool. Not really sure how a 66mm EDF would compare to the SkyFun. I really like the look of the Jetiger....hummmm can smell another project coming before the summer even starts...

BTW...one or two more tips to add...Use some clear 3M packing tape over the entire structure including wings and vertical stabs to keep it clean and protect the foam. Also on the leading edges of the wings, apply the fiber reinforced tape to make it more crash resistant. If you don't have colored tape for the bottom for orientation, you can use a sharpie marker on the foam.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 05:55 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
The servo protector just don't fit well unfortunately. Rich...the 4s really is that dramatic of an increase in speed? I guess there is no need to fly EDF after this...LOL.

soundguy63...that plane from hobbylobby looks cool. Not really sure how a 66mm EDF would compare to the SkyFun. I really like the look of the Jetiger....hummmm can smell another project coming before the summer even starts...

BTW...one or two more tips to add...Use some clear 3M packing tape over the entire structure including wings and vertical stabs to keep it clean and protect the foam. Also on the leading edges of the wings, apply the fiber reinforced tape to make it more crash resistant. If you don't have colored tape for the bottom for orientation, you can use a sharpie marker on the foam.
I don't know how describe the 4s other than brutal. It is astoundingly quick out of your hand and you don't have time to correct if your launch angle isn't good. I'm sure you could use partial throttle launch but I never great right. I only fly 4s when somebody else will launch it. Disclaimer: I am in my 60's so younger reflexes may not find this as daunting. Also putting a bright color on the bottom is a must. (I use international orange) Finally never be afraid to chop the throttle and glide. It's a great reflex to develop until you are really good. A chopped throttle at altitude turns this plane into a very easy trainer.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old May 28, 2011, 06:03 AM
I tell her that RC is cheap
Australia, New South Wales, Hurlstone Park
Joined Mar 2011
130 Posts
I had trouble with the servo covers and after a couple of attempts to get the to stay on I re-trimmed them. Mine werent cut very well and still had a lip around the edges which was making it difficult to get them to stick down with hot glue. I trimmed that turned over edge off and they are fine. Just for a little more protection I also glued on some wing skids outboard of the servo covers about an inch which are proving to be a good addition.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8703

I love this plane. On the stock setup it is tame enough. I have the 2836 - 2350kv, 60A Plush ESC and some 5x5 sport props and I am really looking forward to the upgrade. 4S will come later when I have a much bigger place to fly with that much speed.
andrewp7 is offline Find More Posts by andrewp7
Old May 28, 2011, 06:58 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post
I had trouble with the servo covers and after a couple of attempts to get the to stay on I re-trimmed them. Mine werent cut very well and still had a lip around the edges which was making it difficult to get them to stick down with hot glue. I trimmed that turned over edge off and they are fine. Just for a little more protection I also glued on some wing skids outboard of the servo covers about an inch which are proving to be a good addition.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8703

I love this plane. On the stock setup it is tame enough. I have the 2836 - 2350kv, 60A Plush ESC and some 5x5 sport props and I am really looking forward to the upgrade. 4S will come later when I have a much bigger place to fly with that much speed.
My experience is the 5x5 will prove a little more challenging than the 6x4. The 6x4 will give a little more thrust and slightly less speed. Either way it just seemed like the 6x4 was a little better match. Of course you are on the top of the world, on your map, so what do I know! <G>
Old May 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Thanks for all the great info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Finally, the plane comes stock with the motor running "backwards" (clockwise is backwards in the RC world) I kept the new engines running clockwise as you don't have to use pusher props. Just make sure the prop nut is very very tight. Also make sure the printing on the prop is facing towards the direction of flight. (This is true no matter where the engine is on a plane) The plane will fly with prop reversed but with much less efficiency.

Final final (maybe). If you are going to fly stuff with this much RPM you need a good prop balancer. It's random if a purchased prop is going to be balanced and the unbalanced ones sound bad while heating the engine more. Since I bought one I haven't seen a prop that didn't need some balancing. It's very cheap way to get better flights and dramatically extend the life of your engine bearings.
Thanks Rich, I will check this before my maiden!

I have seen folks put a prop on this plane instead of the EDF. If anyone is interested, I also picked up a Multiplex FunJet kit, purchased at Amazon for only $69.99 including shipping. They had 4 in stock now down to 3, this was the cheapest I could find on the web.
http://www.amazon.com/Multiplex-Mode...6587875&sr=8-1

BTW...one or two more tips to add...Use some clear 3M packing tape over the entire structure including wings and vertical stabs to keep it clean and protect the foam. Also on the leading edges of the wings, apply the fiber reinforced tape to make it more crash resistant. If you don't have colored tape for the bottom for orientation, you can use a sharpie marker on the foam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Soundguy, did you or anyone else add cf rods to the wings and fuse? My LHS has very poor stock, would anyone know where a good place to order cf rods from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post
Just for a little more protection I also glued on some wing skids outboard of the servo covers about an inch which are proving to be a good addition.
Thanks Andrew, I have some of these laying around, they're black instead of white.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old May 28, 2011, 08:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
My experience is the 5x5 will prove a little more challenging than the 6x4. The 6x4 will give a little more thrust and slightly less speed. Either way it just seemed like the 6x4 was a little better match. Of course you are on the top of the world, on your map, so what do I know! <G>
I never tried a 6x4 sport on my 4s 2836-2350kv skyfun, but did try 5x5e, 5.25x4.75e, 5.5x4.5e with a howfast airspeed sensor back to back on fresh batts. I recall the figures were something like 99mph, 102mph and 107mph respectively with the 5.5" prop being much easier to launch, faster, quieter and better vertical.

I've been told the 6x4 sport goes faster still and draws less amps... diameter is your friend, even if it doesn't sound as fast
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
Old May 28, 2011, 09:07 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetySix View Post
I never tried a 6x4 sport on my 4s 2836-2350kv skyfun, but did try 5x5e, 5.25x4.75e, 5.5x4.5e with a howfast airspeed sensor back to back on fresh batts. I recall the figures were something like 99mph, 102mph and 107mph respectively with the 5.5" prop being much easier to launch, faster, quieter and better vertical.

I've been told the 6x4 sport goes faster still and draws less amps... diameter is your friend, even if it doesn't sound as fast
Other than trial an error, I have no data but it just seems like the 6x4 hits the sweet spot.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:04 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
jer29113.....If you don't have CF rod you might get away with wooden rods too. Just use something a little thicker. I ordered the rods with my kit from the international warehouse.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old May 28, 2011, 11:21 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
jer29113.....If you don't have CF rod you might get away with wooden rods too. Just use something a little thicker. I ordered the rods with my kit from the international warehouse.
Thanks Ridge_Racer, yes I could have ordered it then but it jacked the weight up by nearly 400 grams because of the box required, also they were only 750 mm in length. I have a hard time with HK's shipping costs especially when the S/H cost is greater than the order itself...
Old May 28, 2011, 12:55 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Thanks Ridge_Racer, yes I could have ordered it then but it jacked the weight up by nearly 400 grams because of the box required, also they were only 750 mm in length. I have a hard time with HK's shipping costs especially when the S/H cost is greater than the order itself...
I just put some reinforced tape along the bottom of the wings and have never had a problem. This plane has joining surfaces larger than some 4 kilo balsa planes. Rigid is not a problem.
Old May 28, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I did put CF in mine since I had already bought some in anticipation of receiving the SkyFun and knew it had the slots molded into the foam.
I thought the plane would be more flexible, but I added it anyway after seeing it doesn't really need it since I already had it and figured it couldn't hurt.
The LHS is relatively new, so their display of CF was full. For a pair of 24" CF rods, it's $5.50 for .080", $7 for .098", and $8 for .110".
I used the .080 for the SkyFun and trimmed each rod with a Dremel using a cut-off wheel. Which takes about 3 seconds...
It takes 17.5 inches for each wing, so I still had two 6.5 inch pieces left over for another project.
I think if you used a high-quality bamboo skewer, you could just bridge the wing joint and not try to do the whole slot. But as mentioned, good tape on the underside of the wing also works.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old May 28, 2011, 05:53 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quick question, other than the stock prop, what other prop size could I use with the stock motor and ESC running 3S 1100 or 1300 mAh batts?

Thanks!
Old May 28, 2011, 05:58 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
Quick question, other than the stock prop, what other prop size could I use with the stock motor and ESC running 3S 1100 or 1300 mAh batts?

Thanks!
I never found much latitude. The motor is marginal. In fact dropping to a 6x3 seems to give the plane better response without loosing much speed. 6x5 seemed to work the motor too hard and really pulled the RPM down. Just my experience. Some of the stock motors may be stronger than others.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:19 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
I never found much latitude. The motor is marginal. In fact dropping to a 6x3 seems to give the plane better response without loosing much speed. 6x5 seemed to work the motor too hard and really pulled the RPM down. Just my experience. Some of the stock motors may be stronger than others.
Hi Rich - I found an adapter in my spare parts bin so I'm good to go. I finished the plane and she is ready to maiden. The smallest prop I have is 6x4 how would that do?

I did run into one problem, to achieve COG with either my 1000 or 1300 mAh the battery connector won't reach the ESC connector

I don't have any wire to make an extension, could I just add nose weight so I could move the battery further back?

Also I haven't cut any extra air holes yet as suggested, where should I put them, how big and how many would you suggest?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
I tell her that RC is cheap
Australia, New South Wales, Hurlstone Park
Joined Mar 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Rich I will give the 5x5 a turn first and pick up some 6x4 as soon as I can.

ANy advice on the ESC setup for the Trunigy 60A Plush as in timings etc?
andrewp7 is offline Find More Posts by andrewp7