SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
Congrats Jer! Give us an update when yours arrives.

Did you get the kit version since you're adding so many of your own pieces? I got the receiver-ready version from the USA warehouse because I didn't know any better at the time.

Mine has generated some interest in the club I'm in, so I want to hear if your airframe and controls need much work out of the box. Perhaps mine was just a fluke with so many defects but I would advise that you inspect everything carefully!

People are very impressed with the way mine flies and especially how it lands so gracefully. I always have to give them the speech about how it certainly wasn't going to be that nice right out of the box and will take some work and better power system if they decide to buy one.

One more important thing. Buy some fluorescent self-adhesive stripe material!! If the lighting is anything less than optimal, the SkyFun can simply vanish for several seconds at a time when you turn back toward yourself.
Large sections of black also work since the SkyFun is white. I have black on top and orange on the bottom.

I've also heard good things about the smaller, less expensive version that HK calls the ParkJet. Anybody have both? It's being discussed in the Pusher Prop Jet section of the forum.
Thanks Soundguy!

No I got the PNP version also and ordered the motor from HobbyPartz that Rich used, the Turnigy 2836-2250 is backordered at HK. Rich said the PNP Esc is good enough for 3S batts and the servos will be fine to 100mph, which I doubt I'll be doing anytime soon. I have some spare 40A and 60A ESC's so I can upgrade those when I want to go to 4S. I have the Spektrum DX7 and use HK's Orange DSM2 Rx's which have been very reliable so I'll be using that on the SkyFun.

Thanks for the tip on adding tape for increased visibility, I'll definitely do that!

The other parts that I ordered are for my others planes and helis.
On my last order to HK I purchased some 350mAh batts with some critical parts for my 500 heli, big mistake, apparently Lipos can't go from Hong Kong to USA directly anymore. They ship them to Switzerland first and then the USA, it's taking forever to get here, I've been waiting almost a month now. I did order some 160mAh Hyperions from Japan and they came direct in less than 2 weeks, go figure?

I've been reading about a catapult launcher for the SkyFun, looks interesting, anyone here using one?
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I've been hand launching mine, but not with the controller in hand for these first flights. There's always someone at the field with more experience than me to fly it up to altitude and then hand it over. But I could certainly see it being a pain with the stock motor if you fly by yourself. However, since you're upgrading the power I think you can get away without having a catapult. Certainly a lot of people on Vimeo and YouTube and this thread do it and mine has plenty of thrust on launching with its larger motor and prop.

Hand launching while piloting will be my next area of work tomorrow evening. If I'm bad at it I may build a catapult also but I am hoping that's a last resort!

I don't want anyone else to risk their knuckles for my plane to be launched. It's one of the few drawbacks of the SkyFun design.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old May 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
I've been hand launching mine... Certainly a lot of people on Vimeo and YouTube and this thread do it and mine has plenty of thrust on launching with its larger motor and prop.
I have looked at a number of videos on launching this plane, one that was very interesting was launching it holding the wing. I'm not sure I will try this first time out....
HK Skyfun wingtip launch (0 min 34 sec)
Old May 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
HK is really impressing me with the shipping. I got the plane today and it would have been yesterday if I was home. Weather is clearing up in NYC so I'll start building this thing. BTW...whats ok to use for painting the foam??
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old May 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
HK is really impressing me with the shipping. I got the plane today and it would have been yesterday if I was home. Weather is clearing up in NYC so I'll start building this thing. BTW...whats ok to use for painting the foam??
Just curious as to when you placed your order and what form of shipping did you use?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
I placed the order back on 4/29/11. However I had to wait for a JIT item(SkyFun kit) which comes from their other warehouse which added 7 days to the shipment. It actually helped me out because an out of stock item I want came back in stock so I ordered it too since I was going to pay 36 bucks for shipping. I used regular air parcel mail for shipping. It was 10 bucks cheaper. Same US postal service deliveries your items regardless if you use EMS or air parcel..
Old May 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Well all I maidened the SkyFun today. This hand launch thing is going to take a little getting use to...lol First flight out it was flying like a bat out of hell and I lost it in the sun...lost all orientation and hit a tree. The canopy and prop came off. I was able to recover everything but I think during the crash my antenna for the rx was tugged and broke. Didn't notice at the time. Fast forward to later in the day when a club member helped trim it out and he went out a little from the field and lost control (because the antenna was broken). The rx kept going into and out of range. He was able to bring it back and when we took the canopy off we saw the antenna pull out of the case. BTW...this guy taught me to hand launch holding by the wing. Works great if you have tons of power...
Old May 21, 2011, 09:27 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Well all I maidened the SkyFun today. This hand launch thing is going to take a little getting use to...lol First flight out it was flying like a bat out of hell and I lost it in the sun...lost all orientation and hit a tree. The canopy and prop came off. I was able to recover everything but I think during the crash my antenna for the rx was tugged and broke. Didn't notice at the time. Fast forward to later in the day when a club member helped trim it out and he went out a little from the field and lost control (because the antenna was broken). The rx kept going into and out of range. He was able to bring it back and when we took the canopy off we saw the antenna pull out of the case. BTW...this guy taught me to hand launch holding by the wing. Works great if you have tons of power...
Ridge_racer congrats on your maiden! Glad your damage wasn't too bad, you can probably solder the antenna wire back on. If you can do a video on hand launching via the wing I would appreciate it...thanks!
Old May 22, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Thx jer291113

Antennae repaired. Not much really to wing hand launch. With your palm on top of the wing and about 3/4 full power, just rotate your body about 45 degrees and release but DON'T SLING IT. Just let it lift off under its own power. I made that mistake the first time and it crash nose in on the runway..ouch.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:10 AM
California
Joined Dec 2005
1,121 Posts
Great tips in here.
1toslope is offline Find More Posts by 1toslope
Old May 23, 2011, 03:14 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Thx jer291113

Antennae repaired. Not much really to wing hand launch. With your palm on top of the wing and about 3/4 full power, just rotate your body about 45 degrees and release but DON'T SLING IT. Just let it lift off under its own power. I made that mistake the first time and it crash nose in on the runway..ouch.
This is what i did the first 2 times i flew mine this past weekend it works well, and i intend to continue using this method until something better presents itself.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old May 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Need to do a range check on the repaired rx before I try to fly mines again. Its an HK TR6A that uses a single coaxial antenna.

Update....Range check ok...Flew about 4 packs today. Got use to the speed and did some high speed passes, rolls, and loops. Guys at the field was impressed by the speed on 3s. With a Doppler app on an android phone one of the guys clocked me at 72mph into about a 15 mph headwind and I topped out at 102mph with a tailwind pass low to the deck. Thinking about stepping up to the 4s next month...

BTW....After trying the wingtip launch some more Im most comfortable with the normal hand launch.
Last edited by ridge_racer; May 25, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:42 AM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Need to do a range check on the repaired rx before I try to fly mines again. Its an HK TR6A that uses a single coaxial antenna.

Update....Range check ok...Flew about 4 packs today. Got use to the speed and did some high speed passes, rolls, and loops. Guys at the field was impressed by the speed on 3s. With a Doppler app on an android phone one of the guys clocked me at 72mph into about a 15 mph headwind and I topped out at 102mph with a tailwind pass low to the deck. Thinking about stepping up to the 4s next month...

BTW....After trying the wingtip launch some more Im most comfortable with the normal hand launch.
clocked you at 105.1mph with wind on your back was the best speed i got of you that day RR

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old May 26, 2011, 07:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Has anyone tried a 4s 1800 with the Turnigy 2836-2350 on a 6 x 4 prop?

Hey thx Pete...Join the club and get a SkyFun too..I just wish the USA warehouse sold just the barebones kits without electrics...

Ian
Old May 26, 2011, 07:54 AM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone tried a 4s 1800 with the Turnigy 2836-2350 on a 6 x 4 prop?

Hey thx Pete...Join the club and get a SkyFun too..I just wish the USA warehouse sold just the barebones kits without electrics...

Ian
best combo i used on my easy star
-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn