HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have a couple of additional motors that should arrive soon that I had already ordered last week. Hopefully one of those will fit the motor mount nicely and have plenty of power.
I've also ordered the programming card, but for the moment I'll be using a different ESC anyway.
I'll keep chipping away at it an hour here and an hour there among three other planes I'm also working on.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I received two new motors yesterday and while they aren't the high-speed screamers that Rich in ILM has used, I think either will work for my purposes. However I am choosing the more powerful of the two, about 26 oz of thrust and 150 watts.

Any motor with a diameter close to 28mm that I've attached to the stock motor mount would not clear the bottom of the mount when attached in the traditional configuration, so I'm using a motor that is fairly light weight (45g)and hanging it off the end of the mount. This motor comes with the hardware to go either in front of or behind the mount (using the included prop adapter that attaches to the outrunner body instead of the shaft).

I also replaced the ESC, and rebalanced by moving the battery forward about 1 inch. I'm only using a 3S 30C 1500mAh pack for the moment.

I will need to trim the interior of the rear of the hatch to fit the new ESC.

My main worry now is using larger (either 7 or 8 inch) props with this motor and how they will hold up to landings and how my hand will hold up to launches! Maybe with an 8 inch prop and light-weight battery there will be enough thrust for a hammer-throw style launch.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
Any motor with a diameter close to 28mm that I've attached to the stock motor mount would not clear the bottom of the mount when attached in the traditional configuration.
I am surprised about the clearance issue as I have done 3 of these with 28 mm bodies and they all clear. I wander if your mount is slightly bent?
Just curious what motors you selceted along with props? I would like to build one that is in between stock and these banshees!
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Even the stock motor had minimal clearance with my mount (less than 2mm), but it doesn't appear bent. I knew a 28mm would likely not clear when mounted to the front face but I had to try a couple of different ones just to make sure.

I'm going to try this 370 level motor from valuehobby:
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...28&item_id=159
I'll use an EMP Scimitar 8x5 prop to begin with and go from there.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...42&item_id=511
These GForce motors can be mounted either in front of or behind the mount or firewall, so I figured having a couple of these in 300, 370 and 400 would be very flexible to outfit a few different planes. The prop adapter that comes with the motor actually mounts to the outrunner body instead of the shaft if you attach the motor to the outside of the mount or firewall and that's how I've got this one mounted on the SkyFun.

I'm using a 25A ESC that came with the Deans-style and bullet connectors already soldered.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ite--25/Detail
It's a little smaller physically than the 25A stock unit, but with longer motor cables it will be a little under the end of the hatch. The battery wires are much shorter than on the stock ESC so I also have to use an extender cable.

It may storm again tomorrow night, which is the main mid-week night for club members to gather, but hopefully by Thursday night I can fly it for the first time.
Last edited by soundguy63; Apr 26, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Even the stock motor had minimal clearance with my mount (less than 2mm), but it doesn't appear bent. I knew a 28mm would likely not clear when mounted to the front face but I had to try a couple of different ones just to make sure.

I'm going to try this 370 level motor from valuehobby:
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...28&item_id=159
I'll use an EMP Scimitar 8x5 prop to begin with and go from there.
These GForce motors can be mounted either in front of or behind the mount or firewall, so I figured having a couple of these in 300, 370 and 400 would be very flexible to outfit a few different planes. The prop adapter that comes with the motor actually mounts to the outrunner body instead of the shaft if you attach the motor to the outside of the mount or firewall.

I'm using a 25A ESC. It's a little smaller physically than the 25A stock unit, but with longer cables it will be a little under the end of the hatch.

It may storm again tomorrow night, which is the main mid-week night for club members to gather, but hopefully by Thursday night I can fly it for the first time.
Are you hanging the motor off the end of the motor mount? It's still a 28mm motor? Also it's only a 1150 Kv motor (and with a 8x5 prop) so the thrust will be okay but the speed (aprox 50 MPH) isn't going to be as much as stock?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:59 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Am I the only one using a 3200kv motor?

I had no issues until my crash - I think I had like 30 or more flights on the 3200kv. The last 10 flights or so had a 6x5.5 prop. 55 amp draw. 35C 4S batteries.

Just curious, why is everyone going for the 24-2600ish kv range? Am I just nuts? I do measure amp draw and temperature but so far it's been OK. In hot weather I have to be more careful.

Doppler program said I was 110 mph on a fresh battery, about 102 near the end.

My replacement Skyfun should be here soon.
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Yes I'm hanging it off the back end of the mount. The unused shaft sticks through the front of the motor mount and the prop adapter is on the back of the motor. I probably need to post a picture. Until two weeks ago I didn't know that option was even available in motors so explaining it is probably not as clear as a photo would be.
This is a 28mm motor, but mounting it off the back would allow any big size as long as the mounting holes match. There's no chance of interference with the mount, just a shift of weight to the rear.
I also suppose you could use a driveshaft to the front of a plane with a motor like this, like a Dornier pusher-puller but using just one motor and two smaller props.

Yes with 3S and 1150KV I think I'll be happy for the moment to have more thrust and slower top speed until I become more experienced with this plane.

Maybe I'll graduate to ear-splitting status in a couple of months, for the moment I'll have a stealthy SkyFun.
Last edited by soundguy63; Apr 26, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:07 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Maybe the brand makes a difference.
I run a Turnigy 2200 3s 20c and haven't had any problems. In theory a 20C will tolerate a full discharge in 3 minutes or in the 2200 example a continous flow rate of 44 amps. All theory but my 2200 20c seems happy. Of course I'm not full throttle for more than about 50% of the time.
I'm running 2836 2350 (test out to more like 2800Kv) with a 6x4E APC prop.
I'm interested in building a kit version with same motor/batteries/60amp ESC/prop. What kind of speeds are you seeing??
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:25 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
I'm interested in building a kit version with same motor/batteries/60amp ESC/prop. What kind of speeds are you seeing??
I don't know what the speed is. A couple of seconds makes it a dot in any direction. Particularly the one with the Hobby Partz motor.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I don't know what the speed is. A couple of seconds makes it a dot in any direction. Particularly the one with the Hobby Partz motor.
Woww.....I'm a heli guy myself too....Sounds like fun...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,343 Posts
I final cleaned out my wishlist and bought the damn thing. 140 shipped in kit form with all upgrades i.e. Turnigy motor, metal gear servos(really for my heli), 60Amp ESC, carbon spars, 6x4 props, and rx. Shipping was 40 bucks...ouch..!! HK is so addictive..

BTW I got some coupon codes if anyone wants.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...A-49FC6A55194D
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...8-2DF7FF948C79
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-A33B90C99043
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...E-825B25B6EA50
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...3-75F519DA71D2
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:13 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
I final cleaned out my wishlist and bought the damn thing. 140 shipped in kit form with all upgrades i.e. Turnigy motor, metal gear servos(really for my heli), 60Amp ESC, carbon spars, 6x4 props, and rx. Shipping was 40 bucks...ouch..!! HK is so addictive..

BTW I got some coupon codes if anyone wants.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...A-49FC6A55194D
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...8-2DF7FF948C79
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-A33B90C99043
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...E-825B25B6EA50
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...3-75F519DA71D2
I wouldn't bother with the bullet connectors. particulalry 4mm ones. Just make sure the engine is turning the non traditional Clockwise (so you don't have to use pusher props) and solder the ESC leads to the motor. Also make sure the prop is facing forwards. That means the print always faces in the flight direction. That holds true for the front or back of any plane. Also the plastic fasteners that hold the canopy down are next to useless. I put a bunch or rare earth magnets between the canopy and fuselage. Finally the clear plastic isn't held to the rest of the canopy very well. I ran a thin bead of hot glue all the way around. Second finally... neither of the motor mount screws are tight enough to the fuselage. I tightened them and then ran a strip of reinforcing tape to keep the screws from lossening and belly ins from getting to them. I can post some photos if you like. BTW I didn't use any epoxy. I used hot glue for all assembly. Very flexible and strong. Hate the way most epoxies will crack.
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Apr 28, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Good luck with your kit version! I'll list here the things I had to repair/replace/modify on my RX-Ready USA warehouse model:

Canopy only glued at back. Front glue didn't stick at all so I had to get a hot glue gun and reglue the canopy to the hatch frame.

Front hatch latch was shattered. I embedded a short piece of bamboo skewer into the front of the hatch frame which mates with a hole in the front of the hatch recess. I used very strong magnets glued to the hatch, mating with small steel screws glued into the hatch recess for added grip along with the two rear latches.

Elevon tape hinges were totally messed up. Had to split these with a razor and carefully remove all tape. Replaced with Blenderm Tape hinges. These may not stand up to very high speed but should be okay for my current motor setup.

Had to find a replacement long motormount screw for one that was missing out of the bottom and then loktite both screws.

Servo mounting screws were stripped. Had to CA the screws into the servo well frames.

Bought better epoxy than comes in kit.

Bought, trimmed and added two CF rods in the premolded slots.

Added clear 2" packing tape in strategic areas for strength and abrasion resistence on bottom of aircraft.

Prop mounted way off-center on adapter because no insert was used.

Motor bearings very wobbly.

ESC plays incredibly annoying music for a LONG time when powering up.

I ended up just pulling the entire power system and replacing it all with a quiet ESC, larger motor and balanced, properly mounted prop.
I also recently ordered the programming card for the stock ESC and will use it on something else later. Possibly the motor also, which is soldered directly to the ESC without using removable bullet connectors.

Since I used a bigger motor I had to change how it's mounted to the plane because the mount has very little clearance in the stock position. This required buying different screws to accomplish this, as well as needing a battery connection extension for the new ESC.

I'm watching the storms pull away as I write this! Hopefully a maiden flight by Friday or Saturday at the latest!!
Last edited by soundguy63; Apr 29, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:14 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with your kit version!
ESC plays incredibly annoying music for a LONG time when powering up.

!!
I have the program card so I stopped the music. But you can cut it off by just slightly blipping the throttle. The stock ESC is in the Turnigy Plush/Exceed Volcano family.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. I forgot to mention that my SkyFun came with no instructions or information of any kind...