SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:06 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Get a 40c, the price difference is negligible and hk ratings are optimistic at best.
NinetySix is offline Find More Posts by NinetySix
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
I can do 40c they are actually less expensive for some reason than the 30c. (I have 1 sky lipos from hobbypartz, it hasn't exploded yet so I'll keep using them) So is everyone using a 2200 mah or are some people trying bigger batteries? I was thinking 2650, but don't really know?
farles is offline Find More Posts by farles
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:01 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Jul 2008
185 Posts
Newbie question

I tried my first flight with this plane and crashed immediately. Maybe I didn't hand launch properly. My prop spinner mount came off during the crash and I wanted to know what tool/method you all use to tighten it back on the motor shaft ? I see there is a small black hollow screw in the bolt but not sure what I can use to tighten it.

Thanks,

Steph
steph_a is offline Find More Posts by steph_a
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:09 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_a View Post
I tried my first flight with this plane and crashed immediately. Maybe I didn't hand launch properly. My prop spinner mount came off during the crash and I wanted to know what tool/method you all use to tighten it back on the motor shaft ? I see there is a small black hollow screw in the bolt but not sure what I can use to tighten it.

Thanks,

Steph
I think you talking about the prop adapter that goes on the motor.
That is a 1.5mm (hex wrench size) grub screw. It tightens to the flat of the motor shaft.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:09 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Jul 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I think you talking about the prop adapter that goes on the motor.
That is a 1.5mm (hex wrench size) grub screw. It tightens to the flat of the motor shaft.
Exactly what I needed to know ... thanks

Steph
steph_a is offline Find More Posts by steph_a
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
This was my first plane and i hit my finger with the prop a couple times.. watch that. Launch into wind about 30 deg.. with a 3s setup it should be pretty light. My first flight was on 2s with a 3500kv motor.

I crashed mine recently.. lost power really high up i think my deans to xt60 adapter came loose. Waiting on the kit version. The stryker -- body only -- was cheaper but i love my skyfun.
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
I killed my Skyfun at the weekend

who put that tree there! lol

Death of my Skyfun (0 min 35 sec)
Dr Niceguy is offline Find More Posts by Dr Niceguy
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
It's so gruesome with all the parts hanging out. Poor little Skyfun.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 01:16 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
rocketscience is online now Find More Posts by rocketscience
Last edited by rocketscience; Apr 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
49 Posts
R.i.p
balleklorin1972 is offline Find More Posts by balleklorin1972
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
So, I'm in the process of upgrading my Skyfun's power system. I'm putting a Grayson Hobby Super Mega Jet on it. I was planning on the Turnigy 2836/2350, but that motor will be easier to put in the Funjet.

Anyway, a few questions...

1. Where are people mounting their ESC? My wire length leaves the ESC right at the back of the hatch, too long for outside, too short for inside. I imagine that outside would be best for cooling, so I was thinking of cutting the last 1/4 of my hatch off and mounting the ESC flush with that and glue that to the plane. then I could cut a small hole for the wires to run down where the two pieces meet. What have other people done?

2. Motor mounting...? My motor has threads on the back of it for mounting, so currently I have it "hanging" off the back of the plane. I'm a little worried about the foam weakening around the motor mount. I had turned the mount around put the motor on that way, but the motor would rub on the mount as it spun and I could only get one of the screw to connect through the plane.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2005
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I know that feeling, sorry to hear of your loss.

I have a fantastic replacement though which I am more than happy with

1st FPV test with the 'Dragonfly' Delta wing (2 min 56 sec)
Dr Niceguy is offline Find More Posts by Dr Niceguy
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I am also replacing the stock motor, due to it having very wobbly bearings...
Just the latest in the long line of out-of-the-box defects that have kept me busy fixing this plane for weeks now instead of actually flying it for the first time!!

When I removed the stock prop adapter and prop I found another problem. The prop was installed with no insert and was WAY off-center. I have inserts from other props, so that won't be a problem once I get a good motor and decide how to attach to the motor mount.

So I am in the same boat as farles, replacing the ESC and motor. I know this is the speed thread, but I'm actually more interested in having enough thrust for clean hand launches rather than ultimate speed.

I have several motors on order, but can't yet test how their mounting holes and overall clearance work with the stock motor mount.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
I am also replacing the stock motor, due to it having very wobbly bearings...
Just the latest in the long line of out-of-the-box defects that have kept me busy fixing this plane for weeks now instead of actually flying it for the first time!!

When I removed the stock prop adapter and prop I found another problem. The prop was installed with no insert and was WAY off-center. I have inserts from other props, so that won't be a problem once I get a good motor and decide how to attach to the motor mount.

So I am in the same boat as farles, replacing the ESC and motor. I know this is the speed thread, but I'm actually more interested in having enough thrust for clean hand launches rather than ultimate speed.

I have several motors on order, but can't yet test how their mounting holes and overall clearance work with the stock motor mount.
A bunch of stuff on the 2 I have.
I kept 1 stock and added a 2836 2350 (2800 Kv) to the other. Both stock motors sound like they are going to spit up their bearings but have been just fine in the air. They quiet down when flying. Both stock motors are installed to turn clockwise so standard props are used rather than pusher props. Both props were installed backwards when I received the planes. Just like any other installation the thicker part of the prop should attack the air first but in a clockwise rotation. I get better results with a 6x3 prop rather than the 6x4 that came with it. I believe the 6x4 loads the engine too much and the 6x3 seems just as fast with much better into the wind performance. Very easy to hand launch. Motors that I know fit as I have used both:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7993

http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a16-09-motor2600kv.html

The Airfield motor is a monster and faster than the Hobby King. They must have way under rated the Kv.

Lots of people use the The Turnigy Plush 60 but I use the 40 and have never had a problem. I usually do less than 10 second full throttles as the plane is so friggin fast. Love to climb it to a dot and take a long lazy glide down. This plane has a ton of surface and will glide forever. Make sure you set the CG so the nose tips slightly forward with your fingers in the launch hole. I use a 1300 3s in the stock plane (only draws around 9 amps wot) and a 2200 3s in the 2836 plane. Also I used servo extender cables and moved the receiver up in the front of the plane. I really like flying both and I am waiting for 3rd one to be delivered.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I really like flying both and I am waiting for 3rd one to be delivered.
I received the 3rd Skyfun and used this motor with a 6x4E APC prop.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/93a16-09-motor2600kv.html

Although the specs are very similar to the 2836 2350 (2800) it is much faster.
Must be the Kv is higher than rated on this motor also. It's so fast I just get a few seconds of WOT and then have to pull back. Tested out at 48 amps 556 watts static. I pointed it straight up until I could barely see it cut the throttle and had a very long glide down.
This is about as far as I want to take this plane. I'm guessing 120+ feet a second. Sort of cuts the reaction time.