HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: IF* you have it, would you say its...
Great 52 73.24%
ok:l 16 22.54%
Bad 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:06 AM
United States Air Force Academy
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
10lb?!! That's alot!!! I think you should shrink that to 1lb. For a 10lb bomb dropping aircraft, you will need a lot, repeat alot of $$$$$. The best bombers in RC are usually high wings(since they are stable and will self recover), the super cub(2lb aircraft, $170) is a great airplane for modding, I'm going to use the Slo-V once I have the time to modify it. To carry 10lbs the airplane needs to have extra power to carry it, so your powersystem alone will cost $$$$, big lipos also cost alot of money.10lb is alot of weight, why do you need 10lb of bombs?
We're doing a design competition. RC plane has to drop up to 3 1.3kg dummy bombs to score max points. Our budget is around $1000, so an expensive option is not an obstacle (to a point). We have to use as many off the shelf parts as possible, but obviously extensive modification to whatever plane we choose is likely. Unfortunately our team knows exactly zilch about RC planes, so I'm exploring all options to find out info as quickly as possible (thus me joining this site.) We need this thing flying and ready to go by early March.
MCQknight is offline Find More Posts by MCQknight
Last edited by MCQknight; Jan 07, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Oh, and I'll be sure to post video of the resulting design once we fly it on this forum
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:23 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
You say you are new to rc planes. Might want to learn how to fly on an easy rc plane before you take to the sky in a plane powerful enough to carry a 10 pound payload. There are many different cheap kits you can find to teach you how to fly.

About the bomber, you will have to build your own plane most likely. This is actually a very hard project for someone really new to rc building. http://hobbyking.com this is a great resource for cheap RC electronics that wont eat up your budget.

A kit that may carry the load with a decent electronic set up is this: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4550

Ask specific questions here and we will try to answer them. The general questions can be hard to answer to on a computer with out using examples and video...
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Last edited by Energy; Jan 07, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQknight View Post
We're doing a design competition. RC plane has to drop up to 3 1.3kg dummy bombs to score max points. Our budget is around $1000, so an expensive option is not an obstacle (to a point). We have to use as many off the shelf parts as possible, but obviously extensive modification to whatever plane we choose is likely. Unfortunately our team knows exactly zilch about RC planes, so I'm exploring all options to find out info as quickly as possible (thus me joining this site.) We need this thing flying and ready to go by early March.
Have you had any flight experience? If not I reccommend the RC micro champ. It is 3 channel, is very durable, comes RTF for $90, and has 3 channels. If you don't have any experience you can start learning fast or you can get a friend who can fly. In order to compete you have to be able to pilot an airplane pretty well. Dropping the bombs are the easy part. Flip a switch at the right time and the bombs drop(if the system works).
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Have you had any flight experience? If not I reccommend the RC micro champ. It is 3 channel, is very durable, comes RTF for $90, and has 3 channels. If you don't have any experience you can start learning fast or you can get a friend who can fly. In order to compete you have to be able to pilot an airplane pretty well. Dropping the bombs are the easy part. Flip a switch at the right time and the bombs drop(if the system works).
Thanks for the advice! The members of our team our going to be taking turns flying an RC plane that we already have access to in order to determine who should fly for the competition, and to just gain experience.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:45 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Hillbillie's bomb drop

Here's a link to how RC Groups member "Hillbillie" did a bomb drop for his Parkzone P-47. There's a video link at the bottom of his thread.

http://www.bakehead.com/images/Bomb_...PZ_Planes.html
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:14 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
My bomb drop idea.

I'm planning to do something like what Hillbillie did except, someone told me there might be an adapter out there that can hook an ultra micro servo to a normal AR style Rx. Anybody know of one?

The plan is to use an ultra micro servo instead of linkage from the flap.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:57 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
I'm planning to do something like what Hillbillie did except, someone told me there might be an adapter out there that can hook an ultra micro servo to a normal AR style Rx. Anybody know of one?

The plan is to use an ultra micro servo instead of linkage from the flap.
You can also do the same with the micro servo as the idea above, just be sure to shrink everything down. I tried a micro bomb drop on my mustang but it didn't work that well. I need an extra servo (which I don't have currently), but thats not the only problem. THe micro mustang is already too heavy to fly well so adding more weight would not be good. I'm going to try to make a servoless bomb drop with the mustang this summer. By tilting the mustang 90 degrees the bombs should fall out.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:27 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
I might try out that hobbyking bomb drop... Will post some pictures and a review here when i get it. Would be cool to fill up with firework powder and drop onto the ice in the winter. just not sure about ignition. Any ideas? Come on, who hasn't dreamed about dropping a small explosive from an rc plane?
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:39 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Its really too bad they don't sell those little custom bomb mounting plates separately. I guess they wouldn't be to hard to make.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:53 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I might try out that hobbyking bomb drop... Will post some pictures and a review here when i get it. Would be cool to fill up with firework powder and drop onto the ice in the winter. just not sure about ignition. Any ideas? Come on, who hasn't dreamed about dropping a small explosive from an rc plane?
Let me know if you figure anything out. I've been trying to think of a safe way to do that without risking the aircraft blowing up before you drop the bomb. So far my best idea is to buy one of the small metal bombs where you put a cap (like from a cap gun toy) on the nose and it has a pin that ignites the cap when you drop it. But instead of a cap, put a rifle primer (from bullet reloading supplies) and use that to ignite the powder...
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:27 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
I went through sooooo many thoughts surrounding this topic. I make up some drawings and post them later tonight.

This video gave me a posible idea.

Homemade Pull Ring Fuse (2 min 28 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Well this guy has:
http://news.yahoo.com/could-model-ai...214956090.html

This is what makes people see aircraft as dangerous weapons! I wouldn't advise dropping a live bomb from an RC airplane (the Predator has that covered), fake bombs are fine.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Well this guy has:
http://news.yahoo.com/could-model-ai...214956090.html

This is what makes people see aircraft as dangerous weapons! I wouldn't advise dropping a live bomb from an RC airplane (the Predator has that covered), fake bombs are fine.
Wow thats crazy, Not planning anything like that trust me. I would only be dropping over an isolated lake during winter months when theres two feet of ice and a layer of snow.

Not looking for a big fireball, just a little pop.