HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:17 PM
U.P. Michigan
Joined Dec 2009
131 Posts
Discussion
anyone know of a trainer built completely with 4mm coro and no gutterpipe?

Hey,

This is my first thread that i have ever started and ive only built one spad so bear with me. What i want to know is there plans for a trainer that is completely built out of 4mm coro. I know someone is going to say the debonair but that wont work because that is the one spad that i previously built, and i dont want gutterpipe anyomore. A gasser would be great. My father has been building balsa planes and he has converted many chainsaws into rc which is really cheap and works great. Well i hope someone can help.
Thanks
101stAB is offline Find More Posts by 101stAB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:08 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
What's wrong with the gutterpipe? I mean, I'm asking that because if that's all it is and the Deb fills the bill, build a Deb with a 4mm coro fuse instead of the gutter pipe. There's a big gasser on STTB, the Ultra Spad Stick but I think they use 2mm too. On a larger plane like that you might be able to go with all 4mm but find ways to cut weight somewhere else.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
Joined Jun 2006
17 Posts
The Spadet has a coro fuse. I can't get gutterpipe where I live, so I use wiring conduit for PVC bits and pieces.
joe_weisman is offline Find More Posts by joe_weisman
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:44 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Yep. So far I haven't been able to find 2mm so I'm kinda learning to mix and match between the different SPADs to come up with something flyable. I've got 4 on the bench right now trying to utilize 18x24 4mm election signs. I'm also trying to figure ways to reduce the load because I know I've got to keep it light but it's hard not to use what you can find.... I guess that's part of the fun. If you can't find the square gutter, I've seen several planes built with the plastic downspout that rectangular and looks like the regular white aluminum downspout. That's what our Lowe's & Home Depot carry now. I had to look around some to find the square.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:31 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,679 Posts
Try the Spadet, Spads on Rails, Spad Sticks they have fuselages made using coroplast.
http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2009, 03:20 PM
U.P. Michigan
Joined Dec 2009
131 Posts
Its not so much the gutterpipe that is the problem. Im not against building with it i just want to build one a little more conventional looking. 2mm coro is an issue. I cant seen to find that stuff anywhere except for on the internet where they want an arm and a leg for shipping. Ill spend the money on shipping if i have to but i want to explore more options before i dish out a triple digit number on coro. So what i need help with is if i build a big spad entirely out of 4mm will it work. I was kinda thinking was blowing up the plans of a spadet 50% and building it with 4mm. Also by doing this i think i can save money on an engine because i know where there is plenty of weed wackers and chainsaws lying around. It would have a 96in wingspan, and a 76.5in fuse. Im sure i would have to use some tips off the ultra stick plans for sturdying the airframe. Im open to corrective criticism and other ideas. I really dont know how to chose the correct engine to use and would i need large servos or standard? Well if someone wants to shed more light on my current project please enlighten me.
101stAB is offline Find More Posts by 101stAB
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:52 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
I agree with you. I'm trying to get the guys at the field to come around and the gutter pipe ain't cuttin' it.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:26 AM
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2009
813 Posts
Well it's it's to angular,

I remember my first spad--
It was a control line model
The wing was just ordinary cardbord
Motor was a gas Marine
Fuse was a 12inch 2inch radius BAMBOO stick (Branch)

THIS WAS 40 YEARS AGO!!!

PIG
POWERGROOVES is offline Find More Posts by POWERGROOVES
Old Jan 05, 2010, 01:49 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
I don't think SPAD stands for "cardboard" or "bamboo" but I suspect the concept was the same..... fly whatcha got! Maybe the original "SPAD guys" were just carrying on what had come before.....
Old Jan 05, 2010, 09:35 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Hey 101st, have you called the online coro dealers? Folks say if you use the online ordering the shipping is outrageous, but if you actually call them and tell them the sizes you need, it's reasonable. That's what I'm about to do because I think I've about exhausted all my local options and still no 2mm.
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:20 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
You could always build formers from light plywood *GASP* and fold the coro around it.
Or in true Spad fashion, make 2.5" square formers from bits of yardstick.
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:12 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
You might get a little more input at www.spadworld.net. You should be ok with all 4mm on the larger plane. A user on here (Bex) builds electric planes around 8' wing spans with coro fuses with no formers at all. You'll definitely want more reinforcement in your's if you're using a chainsaw engine but I''m sure that will work. I just started a Dominator from STTB because I like the way it looks even though it uses downspout.

On another note, I ordered some 2mm online the other day and the shipping wasn't that bad. I've seen several folks report that Harbor Sales went to a $50 shipping minimum no matter how small your order was. I ordered 4 - 2mm 2x4 sheets from a place called Corrugated Plastics and it wasn't that bad. I got the plastic for $3.50/sheet and the shipping was $15.61. I found a local sign shop where I can get colored 4mm 4x8 sheets for $12/sheet so I'm in business! http://www.corrugatedplastics.net/ Steven St. Claire was the guy I talked to and he was real nice so if you decide to go the 2mm route check them out.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:38 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
Try the Corocub:
http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm
There are plenty of larger versions powered with weed wackers on spadworld.net
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail