SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jcats, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:57 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,173 Posts
Discussion
Random dlg thoughts

================================================== ======

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4467067...57626627888940

With all these 'limit your dang launch!' threads popping up, maybe I should change my rcgroups name title to just "Fly low..."

I kind of understand where folks are coming from. I've been watching a lot of TD and F3J/B winch launches and I think that these 3M planes waaaaayyy over-launched...

F3K is a little bit different. Discus launching is all about the person launching the plane, not winches or batteries or monofilament or bungies. It's more a self-expression and an art. When done properly, it can produce great results.

I've heard this so many times in contests while I'm timing for folks on the 5x2s...
"Oh well, that was only a 1:30 flight... I now have time to stand and look around..."

What the ffff???.... Are you so sure that you're gonna make all the other 2min flights? Throw that friggin' plane! You DON'T have time to look around!

For something a little different from what a lot of folks are used to--
Some folks actually paint their launch blades with some bright color so it's easier to focus on.

I sort of do it differently-- I don't look or focus on the blade; instead, LOOK at the wingtip and FOCUS on the plane.
Make sense? When you're catching the plane, you're not controlling the blade or the wingtip are you?

STOBEL V3 SURFACE THROWS
Stobel V3 surface throws.
The speed and cruise settings always stay the same.
Thermal setting shows maximum camber. I usually change thermal camber setting depending on the conditions. More camber if the conditions are calm. Less when it's windier and more active.
Stobel V3 surface throws (2 min 32 sec)

ANOTHER LAUNCH TIP
When throwing things as far as you can, the body's natural inclination is to throw at an up angle. Why would you fight this by throwing to the horizon? If you can keep your back swing low enough, you won't risk a tip strike.

SPORTUBE BOX INSERT:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=80

WHEN YOU NEED A BREAK FROM READING ABOUT DLGs...
Russian Singer Eduard Khil Dub (2 min 41 sec)

DLG PRACTICE IN LAKE ELSINORE, CA
Usual practice in Lake Elsinore at one of my few flying sites
The quick turnaround launch with three steps is a good compromise for speed and some power. The average times are around 1 to 1.3 seconds. Sub one second turnarounds are achievable if reduced to two steps but at the expense of power. Catch the plane with the right foot forward, toes in and your back almost to the plane; Followed by the left foot crossing over to finish the power stance, uncoil and release.
The 2+ min low altitude flight could've been extended further if I drifted with the thermal or if I allowed to the plane climb a bit more but I wanted to keep it in the video frame. Wrapping the plane in a tight circle is NOT always what needs to be done when flying low as seen from the video. If a thermal has a big enough base and if the conditions are calm, wider circles are better. If the conditions are more windy and active, tighter circles are better.
Stobel V3 DLG practice. (3 min 12 sec)

SLO-MO LAUNCH

Slo-mo Dlg Launch (1 min 37 sec)

LAUNCH VID WITH SEAN P. AND MIKE S.
DLG launch Poway (2 min 11 sec)

AZ CONTEST 2009. Fun!
Eloy 2009 DLG Launches in Alphabetical Order.wmv (4 min 21 sec)

ROGER FEDERER. GREAT BODY MECHANICS.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...r-graphic.html

POST SNIPS:

Shadowing, Covering, what ever you call it is a big part of contests. I don't care how good a pilot thinks he is but covering is something he will do a lot more times than he will admit. You wont get near the top if you don't learn to do it. There's nothing wrong with it and it's a huge part of contest strategy. Ever fly AULD in really calm conditions? Everyone launches in different directions but most will gravitate towards the climbing plane. If a pilot is not sure of a thermal read, it would be to the pilot's detriment not to cover.
Some guys who time for me always ask what the heck I'm doing flying around outside the thermal while everyone is coring it. My answer- I'm covering, shadowing, etc. I'm looking for the sink or the edges just to see how far I can distance my plane from the other planes and the core. If I'm still climbing then I don't need to be in the blender.

As far as how high you have to be and still make it back to the field--- it depends. The conditions will dictate the variables. My take on this is - Don't put yourself in that situation. I still don't understand completely why everyone thinks that the only thermal you can work with is always downwind.

=========================================

...The line of your launch arm and the wing are really straight. Keep that up. It only shows that the wing has no lift whatsoever and it feels heavy just before release, right? Right. Good! Question is: How does it look from above? You also want your arm and wing in a straight line as well. At the beginning of the spin, the naturally lags behind. During the spin you want the plane to catch up to your arm and form a straight line with your arm.
At the very last moment before the release you want to give the plane an extra push straight out. NOT PULL. This will be your follow-through. It's very important and it keeps the plane from kicking its tail too much. Visualize and think of it like a punch. When you throw a punch it's always better to punch-through. People may not realize it but when you do that you're actually using more of your hips way before the punch even lands... and that's a very good thing!
If the plane feels and looks like it's flying in your hands (arm and wing not straight) then you're not spinning fast enough.

...It's really hard to diagnose a launch with pictures. It would really help to see the whole launch sequence rather than just parts of the sequence.
This is just my opinion:
If you have a run-up to your launch and you stop or slow down to do your spin then what was the run-up for? You just wasted time and energy for something that MAY give you couple more feet(?). You can put that energy into trying to get more spin speed.
If you're just starting out in DLG, try to keep the launch as basic as you can. Once you have the basic foundation then you can add your run, hop, skip and tippy toes later. You'll know this once your launches are consistent, controllable and aim-able.

I would reconsider that neck strap... That's keeping you from rotating properly. There are better ways to keep that tranny under control. I have velcro (hook/hard/rough side) taped on my tranny. It gives me better grip. I'm also trying to come up with wrist strap contraption that's easy and comfortable enough. I also have a really expensive rubber band modification on the left/flap stick. Very useful when landing and quick turnarounds.

get video!!!

...Mountain biking, Table tennis, some running, etc.. anything-- as long as I stay active.
Some weights (heavy and then light), Punching bag helps with speed as well... very important.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=490

...The rudderless planes' motivation was mostly for weight savings and launch height.
Rudder control is essential for conventional planes IMHO. 100+ years of aviation can't be wrong, can it?

...Been using the Futaba 10C for over a year now... Not a single glitch.

Oooops! Is that too much orange?

I'm an OK pilot and caller but the worst timer... I don't like timing
But I'll still time for you if I'm free.

jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Last edited by jcats; Nov 09, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts