Here's somethign you with lots of cash might be interested in -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_718wt_1165
chrislam is offline Find More Posts by chrislam
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
PB Racing Ltd - Mustang

Something else I found on the interweb....
Old May 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislam View Post
Here's somethign you with lots of cash might be interested in -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_718wt_1165
No one will pay this kind of money, as the chassis has been ruined by trying to polish it up, tires are bald, engine dont work and no body shell he is trying his luck !!
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old May 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislam View Post
Something else I found on the interweb....
Now this is nice
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:17 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Hi all,

I was browsing the web and came across my old PB pictures up on this thread! I am Paul and my car is on the first page, which you called "Ltd" - the black chassis version. The last time I saw these pictures was in 2005, when my computer died! It also reminded me of my old Tamiya club account. This was me here (although I can no longer log on!)...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=31180&id=8486

Anyway to clear up a few things. The car is not a Limited Edition, rather a highly modified version by me. I actually used to run a brand new PB Xi2 back in the mid 1980's. I modified it over time then eventually sold it on. Fast forward many years and I decided to pick another used Xi2 to refurbish. The end result of my tinkering is what you see there - all shiny and perfect looking. It was totally standard with rust on it! All the mods were the same as those I carried out back in the day. After displaying this for a year I sold it on.

However if anyone has a PB Mustang X3 to sell I will always be interested. Even if you stumble upon this thread in years to come. My email is below. Obviously substitute the word AT for an ampersand with no spaces

s_worksair AT yahoo.co.uk

Ok so back to the mods. The basic Xi2 has many flaws. Mainly it weighs a TON, is over complex, not particularly rigid, with a centre of gravity that is too high. There is a limit what can be done to remedy these issues. The huge diffs, 24 steel ball joints, bulky steel bolts, large areas of alloy, all add up to a huge mass. None of which can really be changed. So that leaves minor tweaking, such as fitting the smoother X3 steering, ensuring the chassis does not flex too much with thicker duralumin chassis and top brace, removing all unnecessary items and overly long metal overhangs. I could have gone further but it would not have looked much like a PB if I carried on! So I left it there.

With regards to your projects I love the carbon fibre items. Even though this material was alien to PB until the very last factory modified X3 versions.

As much as I love the memories of my old PB it became pretty obvious it was outclassed by the foreign competition in the late 1980's. When the Kyosho Burns arrived it was game over for PB. Plus all the other companies like SG, Bergonzoni, Yankee, Siccom, Serpent in the off road racing scene. The Burns was on a totally different level performance wise. Kyosho had the idea of taking the proven 1/10th Optima and scaling it up to 1/8th, with all the mods required to run IC. Since then rallycoss has never been the same. Every single car for sale today is a direct copy and subtle development of the original Burns. But I still love my memories of my old school PB
KUB3 is offline Find More Posts by KUB3
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:58 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUB3 View Post
Hi all,

I was browsing the web and came across my old PB pictures up on this thread! I am Paul and my car is on the first page, which you called "Ltd" - the black chassis version. The last time I saw these pictures was in 2005, when my computer died! It also reminded me of my old Tamiya club account. This was me here (although I can no longer log on!)...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=31180&id=8486

Anyway to clear up a few things. The car is not a Limited Edition, rather a highly modified version by me. I actually used to run a brand new PB Xi2 back in the mid 1980's. I modified it over time then eventually sold it on. Fast forward many years and I decided to pick another used Xi2 to refurbish. The end result of my tinkering is what you see there - all shiny and perfect looking. It was totally standard with rust on it! All the mods were the same as those I carried out back in the day. After displaying this for a year I sold it on.

However if anyone has a PB Mustang X3 to sell I will always be interested. Even if you stumble upon this thread in years to come. My email is below. Obviously substitute the word AT for an ampersand with no spaces

s_worksair AT yahoo.co.uk

Ok so back to the mods. The basic Xi2 has many flaws. Mainly it weighs a TON, is over complex, not particularly rigid, with a centre of gravity that is too high. There is a limit what can be done to remedy these issues. The huge diffs, 24 steel ball joints, bulky steel bolts, large areas of alloy, all add up to a huge mass. None of which can really be changed. So that leaves minor tweaking, such as fitting the smoother X3 steering, ensuring the chassis does not flex too much with thicker duralumin chassis and top brace, removing all unnecessary items and overly long metal overhangs. I could have gone further but it would not have looked much like a PB if I carried on! So I left it there.

With regards to your projects I love the carbon fibre items. Even though this material was alien to PB until the very last factory modified X3 versions.

As much as I love the memories of my old PB it became pretty obvious it was outclassed by the foreign competition in the late 1980's. When the Kyosho Burns arrived it was game over for PB. Plus all the other companies like SG, Bergonzoni, Yankee, Siccom, Serpent in the off road racing scene. The Burns was on a totally different level performance wise. Kyosho had the idea of taking the proven 1/10th Optima and scaling it up to 1/8th, with all the mods required to run IC. Since then rallycoss has never been the same. Every single car for sale today is a direct copy and subtle development of the original Burns. But I still love my memories of my old school PB
You are so right, once the Burns came along Rallycross was never the same, I did run a Serpent Cobra before my PB and got to say that the Serpent was very good I think I took a backward step buying the PB, I only had it a few months. I believe the first BRCA round at Slough in 89 the A final was full of Kyosho Burns, so I bought one, a fantastic car you could have monster crashes without anything breaking, the old PB used to fly apart but still got a soft spot for it and would like one now. As you say all cars today no matter what they call them are the same set up as the Burns was in 88, 89.
Cheers.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:37 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
I was just a kid around that era, playing around in my local fields. Not racing as you were Steve. But I did enjoy modding my car to get the best from it. It wasn't hard to improve upon, as almost every component had issues :lol: That was all part of the hobby back then. Just getting it to work was a challenge. That was another big change with the 1990's - kits were as easy to construct as Tamiya's, with everything included in the box.

So you had a Serpent? I had a poster of one on my wall
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:11 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
PB Racing Ltd - Mustang

Quote:
I was just a kid around that era, playing around in my local fields. Not racing as you were Steve. But I did enjoy modding my car to get the best from it. It wasn't hard to improve upon, as almost every component had issues :lol: That was all part of the hobby back then. Just getting it to work was a challenge. That was another big change with the 1990's - kits were as easy to construct as Tamiya's, with everything included in the box.

So you had a Serpent? I had a poster of one on my wall
Hi there,

Great to hear the stories and interest in the mustangs. I notice you are looking for a project.......well I happen to have the bones of a Mustang X3 with some new spares still bagged and a new chassis and an unpainted body shell plus a couple of practice shells. It needs a lot of work and is totally disassembled. I also have some more spare wheels and tyres, again worn. As a special extra feature I have a V Large Futaba servo for the steering. If you need some retro radio gear I also have an Acoms servo, trani and rx (needs new cables and plugs) with 27Mhz xtals and a spare glow plug igniter.

You'll probably have to replace the gear box casings and it needs a full set of ball joints as these ones are very worn. I've just about finished my mustang rebuild so this one has now served it's use for spares.

You will need:
  • Bearings,
  • A load of scotch-brite for the ali chassis components, though I do have a brand new chassis plate arriving very soon from America which will come with it.
  • Ball joints – The balls are very worn and the wishbones though worn are usable.
  • Some wheel Hubs - The ones here have broken lugs on the top/ bottom and are a bit damaged through use. However the long bolts that go through the ball joints will probably hold them in place sufficiently.
  • The gearbox casings were modified prior to my ownership and have had some of the fins trimmed away for some reason ( does affect the workings but it depends if you are going for a purist resto.
  • Tie rods.
  • Drive Shafts. These ones are broken.
  • Body posts.
  • Rear Bumper guard.
  • Rear steering set (I don’t know if the X3 had rear steering but it didn’t have it when I got it originally).
  • Nuts and bolts. – I did get a load of stainless nuts and bolts for my resto and have spares if necessary, though it won’t be a complete set. I will however put in all the screws and nuts and bolts that I have replaced from my resto.

Have a look at the spares that were listed on the forum by ‘bimdapogs’ as I bought them and they should be here soon. All I need from this batch is the twin speed centre diff set and the belts weren’t included. The rest will go with the X3 so there should be some good spares there for the resto including two complete diffs and drive train gear sets. Also there is an instruction manual which I am happy to let go, especially if you have a manual for the Xi2 that you could copy or swap with me.

Drop me an email if you are interested. I do want to recoup some dosh for the new spares but the car itself I will let go to a good home for a donation towards my Xi2 project.

This is a major project!

Cheers,

Chris.
Last edited by chrislam; Jun 18, 2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: admenments & additions
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:14 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
PB Racing Ltd - Mustang

Some more images for the archive..............
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:46 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
PB Racing Ltd - Mustang

Well here it is, nearly finished and nearly ready to possibly run. I still don't know whether I can actually bring myself to put fuel in it and fire it up.....Any thoughts?......

Anyway if any budding enthusiast wants to prohibit me from letting lose the gods of war and thrashing this beast around the park then please make me an offer. Either that or come along with yours and lets play!!!

All comments gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:12 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Great to see some more PB's being built up again. Get some fuel in there and let rip!

I won't be buying any more rc items for a little while as I just got majorly distracted with my other retro love: 1980's Kyosho 1/10 buggies. I just bought a fairly mint Optima Mid Turbo, plus enough NIB spares to build another full car. Cost a fair few quid but it will look amazing on display when finished. I will also run it carefully in ideal summer conditions too

So maybe later I will have a look into 1/8th retro buggies...
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:47 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Great to see some more PB's being built up again. Get some fuel in there and let rip!

I won't be buying any more rc items for a little while as I just got majorly distracted with my other retro love: 1980's Kyosho 1/10 buggies. I just bought a fairly mint Optima Mid Turbo, plus enough NIB spares to build another full car. Cost a fair few quid but it will look amazing on display when finished. I will also run it carefully in ideal summer conditions too

So maybe later I will have a look into 1/8th retro buggies...
Hi there,

Glad to hear you're keeping 'Retro Rc' Alive!!! I have a couple of Optimas if you are interested. One is a slightly modified Optima Pro and the other is a custom special and I have a few spares. I was going to hang onto them for sentimental reasons but if you are into collecting them for projects then I can always send some images if you want to increase your collection.

Cheers

Chris.

Also Yesterday was the first day of running th Mustang!! WOW!! having a little trouble witht eh tuning of my vintage OPS engine but we are getting there. Watch for more images.....
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
PB Racing Ltd - Mustang

Some more for the Archive.....
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:28 AM
Essex UK
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
Great stuff! Why not post the worlds first "PB Mustang 1/8 RC" video on youtube

Here are some general video's you may like to watch from the mid 1980's before it turned into a pure Kyosho monopoly! Notice how tall and heavy they look, bouncing around all over the place. VHS was terrible quality too!

1985 - Yankee fest
NK Offroad race 1985 (9 min 26 sec)

1986 - Mostly Yankee, but PB's Keith gets a mention at 6.12 mins
I am sure the red car from 6.09 to 6.13 is a modified factory PB.
Yankee Champion du Monde 1986 partie 01 (9 min 31 sec)
Last edited by KUB3; Jul 06, 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
These are great! Ahh back in the day! Bad VHS and Bad Hair.

I will definitely post a video when I've got it running properly.

Cheers.