HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:27 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,632 Posts
Discussion
When scale and speed meet!!!

I thought I would share so information on a new class of race boats which are being purposed by a group on the RUM RUNNER RACING FORUM that has sparked my interest and may also be of interest to some of you. They are in the planning stages of introducing a true scale 1/6th scale CRACKER BOX CLASS, which will be a spec type class of racing. What this means is that every one will be using the same motor and voltage battery in the class, and it must be a true scale representation of the APBA class Cracker Box.

This means that is must have all the propulsion hardware of the original and be a true sub surface (under the hull) drive system. The boat must carry a driver and a mechanic and have a scale cockpit. Points will be awarded for scale appearance to be added to the tally of the heat racing of the model.

The reason I am so interested in this project is that Legend Model Boats was going to be releasing a 1/6th scale Cracker Box in itís series of 1/6th scale ABPA Class race boats, but not for at least a year down the road. Since being made aware of the growing interest in the Cracker Box Spec Class racing for introduction into the NAMBA lineup, we have decided to move up the release of the kit to follow the release of the 1952 Century Sea Maid 18í.

With this merger of scale and speed , along with the idea that the hull must be constructed from either wood or fiberglass, awarded scale points to be included in the final race results tally, leads be to believe that this may be the venue to spark interest in the younger modelers since the road at the end of the build is competition on a level playing field. With the purposed spec brushless motor system, speeds in the 40 to 50 miles per hour would be possible. That should be enough to get a rise out of anyone!

For those of you who think you would be interested in this type of build, more information can be found on the RUM RUNNERS FORUM.

The web site for RUM RUNNERS FORUM is;http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:11 AM
il
Joined Dec 2008
126 Posts
Sounds like fun to me.
rotation slim is offline Find More Posts by rotation slim
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:47 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
So, at that scale, you think you could put the servo in the scale driver and have him turn a scale steering system? LOL! (Score extra realism points)

I've always liked the idea of these 'equal' style contests (IROC, Early NASCAR), but I've usually found the simple truth is that it's almost impossible to level the playing field. The person with more money can usually 'buy' their edge. Only a really good driver can play equally with that. A really good driver with money is really hard to compete with... I hope it turns out differently for this racing class.

I'd love to see a 'classic scale' racing system. Vintage scale hydroplanes, mahogany runabouts, etc. All divided up into classes and racing each other. No equality implied, just as long as the boat meets the minimum and maximum criteria of the class.

In Real Life...
I still remember the last race of the Miss Madison Merlin engine boat. It was my first river hydro race I'd ever seen. The turbine boats were making a mockery of her, lapping her several times, but she was still the most graceful boat running out there. Talk about an unfair advantage but handling the loss with grace. Everyone cheered her on when she came around, it was a mad-house on the shoreline.

Sometimes the race isn't about winning but just having the race look good!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,632 Posts
I am posting an update to this thread on the proposed new 1/6th scale Cracker Box Class, spec. racing over on the Rum Runner Racing forum. Since being contacted by some of the Rum Runner Racers about a future model release by Legend Model Boats of the 1/6th scale California Cracker Box, we have rearranged scheduled model releases for the coming year. We have moved the California Cracker box for the next release which will be followed by the 18íCentury Sea Maid for release soon after.

The California Cracker Box will be a all wood, laser cut kit, with complete running hardware and scale interior provided by M.A.C.K. Products. The running hardware supplied in the kit will allow the modeler to build a complete static model, or with the optional power package, a race ready performer with spec sanctioned, water cooled brushless motor setup complete with water cooled speed control.

We are very excited about this new type of racing were a scale model is true to the original as well as to the speed it can obtain. I am attaching a two view drawing of the finish model for a look see now and will be posting a complete build in the not to distant future.

Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Looks awesome!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:50 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,345 Posts
Sweet lookin ride!
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:42 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
The Lipo Lounge.......thats a cool name
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:00 AM
Atascadero Ca
Joined Jun 2009
671 Posts
HEY!!! Thats NOT a CRACKERBOX-RACER

I see a HUGE scale problem with that cracker box design.

1: It is not a crackerbox. The crackerboxes have a rockerbottom and a very flat v. This one is flat with a sharp vee in the front. The rocker bottom is what destinquishes a cracker from a normal runabout racer.

2: If you want a true scale look then the driver and mechanic have to swap sides and the mechanic needs a brace behind the driver. The real racers have a realy compact cockpit and the only way for the mechanic to hold on was with a railing right behind the driver and one to the left of the sterringwheel.

3: This is not a racing style crackerbox as the engine has a cover and the rudder is under the hull. The racing crackers did not have an engine cover as this would reduce the available space of the engine, not allowing for higher powered engines. The racers also had behind the hull rudders so the prop could be larger. The rudder would take up the needed space for a big prop.

The picture of the boat provided is a flatbottom runabout ment for cruising. Not a cracker ment for racing. If this is the final design for the class then I will not aprove.
MarcRacer18 is offline Find More Posts by MarcRacer18
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcRacer18 View Post
If this is the final design for the class then I will not aprove.
See ya, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Frank, Nice but please don't slow down on the Century. A Lot of us are waiting. How about a few pictures of the initial construction?

Ed
edmigley51146 is offline Find More Posts by edmigley51146
Old Dec 31, 2009, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,632 Posts
MARK RACER 18- I have to take issue with you on the design shown in my thread is a true Cracker Box design from the late 1950-60’s when the cracker boxes were built out of wood with plywood skins. By the way they are still legal with the APBA rules, of which I am a member.

Also if you go to the Cracker Box section of the APBA, you will see that they race with and without engine hatches, and even some with hatches with the center cut out for the carb to stick up out of. As for the driver being on the wrong side, there is no rule as to which side the driver sits on. Usually in APBA racing the boats travel the race course in a counter clockwise direction, with the driver sitting on the inboard side of the turn. The same as the Jersey speed skiffs and the Speed Garveys, as well as the SK class boats.

If you are going to make a statement about the scale model design as being not correct, please state were you are getting your information. I think that you are looking at the two view drawing and thinking that the model has a very sharp entry. Your are wrong since the boat gets very wide fast at the bow, more along the lines of a Ski Boat. You are looking at the dead on side view of the drawing which is only showing the chine in relation to the keel and stem post.

I stand by the design as being a APBA accepted Cracker Box Class boat.
http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard4/pic325a.html
Last edited by frankg; Apr 05, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 04:50 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
I did a search for C-boxes, and came up with some interesting pictures.

Here's one with some sort of engine hatch and hood scoop.

I used this scoop idea when I built my 1:10 scale C-box.

I guess some of us will have to read the NAMBA rules for the 1:6 scale C-box class.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Dec 31, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:46 PM
Atascadero Ca
Joined Jun 2009
671 Posts
I base my information off of a first hand account from an old friend who actualy raced and whatched proffesional crackerbox races in southern california in the late 50's.

Pic no.1 from CG Bob's post shows a crackerbox hull quite well. Looking at the bottom of the hull you can see the rocker bottom that defines a cracker. Granted that it is a modern cracker and people race differently it still has the destinquishing look. Classic cracker boxes are very different from modern lookalikes.
MarcRacer18 is offline Find More Posts by MarcRacer18
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,632 Posts
MARC RACER 18- I stand by my statement and the APBA rules for the CRACKER BOX CLASS. I am not going to debate the issue since you are only dealing with hear say information. The rules of the cracker box can be found in the APBA class rule book, which every one must conform to. As for what you want to bring to NAMBA SPEC series Cracker Box race will be decided by the officials at the race as to weather or not the hull is legal for the class.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:04 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,677 Posts
Anything "classic" has a different look from its modern counterpart. The rules change over time. What was available or allowed in 1950 is hard to find or expensive today; or just not good (fast?) enough for todays standards. Apparently there was some rule changes made by the APBA concerning width of the transom and a couple of other frames.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob