HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
Discussion
TF8000 and Big screamer Motor Conversion

I received a couple pics from Robert from EJF.com and he just get done with a conversion on the TF800 and the Littlescreamers Big Screamer motor, These were ordered from a customer and he and his Mate (Clay) worked out the details and machined the parts. Sad to say no testing as the new owner wanted to do that himself. These conversions will be available from EJF and I was told they will chim in with a few words on this new setup themselves. This fan is 140mm and is all carbon fiber, The only other motor option was a $700 motor. There are other fans being test with our motor and I will post those as well as the information comes to me.

Thanks
Scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
United States, NC, Rowland
Joined Dec 2001
165 Posts
Scott,

I am the customer and my plans are to run 2 of them in an old ITP Tornado that has flown on twin electric byron fans. EJF still has one unit they are finishing up. My plans are to run Spin 200's on 14S. I am questioning the integrity of the airframe due to the power I will have on tap. A Byron F15 would probably be a better option for a twin. A single "scale" project has already been done using a TF 8000 with the Skymaster BAE Hawk. I really want to see what this will do so I may try the Bae Hawk first because of a quick ARF build.

Tres
jentres is offline Find More Posts by jentres
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:27 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Signed on to watch your results. I have a NIB TF8000 here with no motor yet.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:43 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,266 Posts
cool project
I've thought this fan would be great in a Comp ARF Mig 15..
the stock ducting looks pretty nice too
interesting to see how this works out

this motor makes more sence to me on 14s in a big airframe
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
cool project

It sure would Ron. I've looked at that model for a long time. Nice size and most reports i've seen are positive. I've been pleased with the service from CARF with the spark, and wouldn't hesitate to get another CARF model...oh wait, my accountant may hesitate.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:39 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
yeah i think this would be the ideal way to run this fan. much ike the lighter scorpion jobs in dynamax your using outrunners strength to not power till cows come home but have a smaller than usual motor to swing it well within its power range. and save a boat load a weight in keg size motors and borderline car batteries!! haha
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:55 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
cool project

I have that kit partly built in storage, if the inlet duct is cut off a bit at the rear it will have a diameter of almost 115mm, and that is enough for 100%FSA for a Dynamax fan. I'm sure it will work for the TF8000 also even though that is a bigger fan, it will still be about 85% FSA on that fan. There's tons of room in the fuselage for batteries and the kit is very nice and light enough to make a successful EDF conversion I think, maybe something to consider

The only thing that's not ideal on this kit is the two 12mm wing bolts that runs across the fuselage between each wing half, this of course then also has to pass through the center of the inlet duct and will create turbulence and some losses, unless I reengineer the whole setup.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Dec 22, 2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added some more info
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:03 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
I would LOVE to see this in the Mig 15 or the Mig 21
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:30 PM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post

The only thing that's not ideal on this kit is the two 12mm wing bolts that runs across the fuselage between each wing half, this of course then also has to pass through the center of the inlet duct and will create turbulence and some losses, unless I reengineer the whole setup.
Make a (wing)profil over the wing bolts in the duct!? That works for sure, better than without . That Mig is super cool!!

I´m interested in the TF8000 tests.
Have a Lehner 3060 motor in my workshop. 1200g!

regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:40 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,467 Posts
yeah, making a wing profile to fit over the 12mm bolt inside the duct is the easiest and quickest fix, I think that will be my solution to this.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:17 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,266 Posts
Hey Arngeir,
I hope you go threw with the conversion. That is one plane I've wondered about for a couple years. It's such a large investment I'd love to see one fly first before I made the commitment.

I hope you do a build thread on it.. that's a big plane with lots of wing area
You should have some really nice scale performance

It's flown very well on a P-80... most go bigger P-120 but get scale flights with the P-80
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:46 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,467 Posts
Ron, I saw one flying some years ago on a 9kg Simjet engine and it did fly very well on that power, it looked wonderful in the air and the owner said it was a very docile plane, could cruise at a leasurely pace at just over 1/3 power. So when a kit and gear package became available locally I went for it, unfortunately I've not had too much spare time to work on my model airplanes due to work commitments but this has changed a bit for the better this last year.

I'm very tempted to convert it to EDF, especially now that I do have a XPS Dynamax fan in the mail somewhere on it 's way to me, and the project it was planned to go into will be delayed somewhat. So I might just as well put into this airframe as I already have it in-house. I think I'll have to get cracking on this one, a build thread will for sure be started when I get started on the construction. I'll have to finish off construction of a Pilatus Turbo Porter wing panel first to clear my building board as the Mig will need all the space I have available, it's a rather large plane.

And I can always sell the jet engine I have that I planned to put into this one, its a 25lbs thrust engine with only 3-4hrs of runtime so that in itself will finance a fan/esc setup and I will still have some change left for batteries.
Last edited by Arngeir Blakseth; Dec 22, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:49 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlescreamers View Post
This fan is 140mm and is all carbon fiber...
Does it come in large?
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,907 Posts
[QUOTE=Arngeir Blakseth;13883503]I think I'll have to get cracking on this one, a build thread will for sure be started when I get started on the construction. QUOTE]

Go for it! I'll subscribe.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentres View Post
Scott,

I am the customer and my plans are to run 2 of them in an old ITP Tornado that has flown on twin electric byron fans.

Tres
YOU Sir are my hero! I want to see this one...

What do you predict the AUW being?

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter