HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:15 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered Hobby Lobby F-86 Skyblazer

Here is my quick build thread on this model from Hobby Lobby. This is a quick and esy to build model. When these showed on on Hobby Lobby's website and they had an airframe only version I had to get one.

The kit can be purchased here:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f86_skybl...frame_only.htm

The kit comes with the EDF unit and 3mm collet so it will fit a Wicked motor just fine for those who want to use it. For my setup I am using the
Wicked 4800 motor, Pentium 40 ESC, and for the lipo I am using a 3S2200 30C lipo.

Now you can use the stock fan with the Wicked motor. I did not for one reason and that was because I wanted to dynamically balance the rotor and the system they use to mount the rotor on would be very annoying to assemble and reassemble and to add or remove weight so I used one of rotors from the EDO two piece fan unit.

EDO type II fan unit:
http://www.donsrc.com/cart/index.php...d&productId=86

To duplicate my build for your model you would buy the following:
Wicked 4800 motor with standoff adapter and EDO plug
EDO Type II fan
Dynamic Balancing
Pentium 40 ESC

Now for the build!

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jan 25, 2010 at 01:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:46 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
The first thing I did was measure the outlet on the model and as I suspected it is larger than I like. I like 80% FSA with the Wicked motors and the stock setup is 95% FSA which is more of a thrust setup. SO the firstthing I did was figure out how much I needed to reduce the nozzle so I can do a "nip and tuck" on the back of the fuselage. The nip and tuck means you do not have to make a thrust tube. To do it you need to cut a wedge of material off the bottom of the fuselage. Always use a brand new razor blade for something like this. Mark 1/4" down on each side of the glue seam. Then use a ruler as a guide then cut through the foam like shown in the photo. To glue the fuselage back together I used regular CA glue. I use Pacer Zap medium viscosity. That is why I like this type of foam, Regular CA glue is just fine. Then use a little bit of kicker to speed up curing it. If you use too much it will eat the paint (at least the kicker I had did), so use kicker very lightly or just put a drop or two on the joint to start the reaction.

The next thing I did was screw the wings down onto the body. I did not glue them together yet as I wanted to make sure they fit the fuselage nicely. So once bolted down I then applied CA to the spot where they join in the middle. Then I unbolted them and applied glue to the other side of the joint. Next was the installation of the aileron servos and the elevator servo.

Then comes the power system. I installed the Wicked 4800 motor into the stock fan housing (but used the EDO rotor). The four splines need to be removed with a Dremel tool. I have posted how to do this before and you can see a photo sequence here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=37

There was no need to add any length of wire to the ESC motor or battery side which was nice. I then mounted the fan unit into the plane. Then used a zip tie to hold the ESC to the plywood tray. Aileron extensions were added and the wing was bolted back onto the fuselage.

That is all the photos for tonight. I am going to bed

Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jan 24, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:05 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Don,

Thanks for posting. Nice work (as usual). I like the Nip Tuck procedure which is just like the HL Panther modification for a smaller outlet size.

With a 4800 KV and 2200 it should be a real ripper.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:29 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
Here it is all ready to rock and roll :-) I tested it on a Hobbycity 30C lipo and it was 420 watts fresh on the pack settling to about 380 watts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:29 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
Here is my radio install. I am using the Aurora radio and the Optima 7 ch receiver.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:04 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
I test flew it today and it is a nice flying model. I got 80 mph as the average of my upwind and downwind passes using a 3S2200 lipo with the Wicked 4800 motor. I think the reduced nozzle is a great idea on this jet. I have some head cam video that I am processing so you can see some of the flight. I had to drop my aileron throws down. Also one aileron up to fly level and I have to find out what is causing that. But I am quite pleased. I am sure if it was a little warmer than the 38F I was flyign in it would have been a little faster like about 85mph or so.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:01 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
Here is the YouTube video link. It is still processing so will get better as time goes. Also the first part of the video was the maiden and trimming it out so you can skip about the first 1:30 or so as you can not really see much. Also note how quiet the dynamically balanced fan is :-)

F86_blazer.wmv (6 min 29 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Dec 26, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:11 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
349 Posts
That looks like a perfect setup for this jet. It's amazing how much that extra 80 watts, and a thrust tube help out. I bet you still get good flight times too.
outtacontrol is online now Find More Posts by outtacontrol
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
I am very happy with it. It is a little slower than the Alfa F-86 on the same motor but this is a good park setup for me. I am happy with it. I did some quick calculations and going to 4S will be no big speed gain, the watts would go to about 600 with the Wicked 4000 but speed will be only about 90 mph or so. That correlates to about what I found on on similar EDFs kits manufactured like this. The thick trailing edges really eat up the power when trying to go faster but when you compare the price of this to an Alfa kit then this to me is a real bargain.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,654 Posts
Sounds silky smooth for sure Don!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
yes your balancing job really helps ...looks like a great flier and the nip tuck is a mod even i did back in the 80's on my JHH F-86 . looks like a excellant park flier set up for sure.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:01 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,070 Posts
I know the balancing is good because when I doppler it now I only see on main trace not a bunch of blade harmonics. I use to see that on your and CNs fans all the time and I was jealous, now I can do it too

This is definitely not as fast as an Alfa F-86 watt for watt but it is a good lower cost alternative.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:01 AM
Joined May 2009
103 Posts
Can you do the nip tuck mod to the stock unit and see any improved performance?
sbeirs is offline Find More Posts by sbeirs
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:43 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirs View Post
Can you do the nip tuck mod to the stock unit and see any improved performance?
Don built his from airframe only. It never had a stock setup but reduction in the exhaust outlet would be a improvement for the stocker as well. The stock exhaust is 102% of the fan swept area.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old May 03, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
nip tuck

so you said 1/4 inch per side of glue joint ...
so your removing 1/2" of circumference sounds like a lot...
could you add more info.. reasoning?
thanx
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show