HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
Vegas Flyer
Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2008
154 Posts
Discussion
Lipo stupidity

Well, today I plugged 2 3600mah 4s Lipo's into each other.......I do not recomend this proceedure to anyone...I'm damn lucky I didn't hurt my eyes...I grabed for my charger leads and got the other battery leads instead....HUGE ARC WELD..welded the gold banana blugs tips off...It is kind of an embarrasing thing to do at the flight field too...

Anyhow Just thought I owed the fly community a report of something that can go wrong,,,,

superblue is offline Find More Posts by superblue
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
lol ive done similar things with less explosive packs "nimh" ... so its a mistake not only you have made just another reason to use a type of plug or connector on the pack that cant possibly be used to plug into another pack!

glad your ok and there was no explosion tho... that smoke is noxious and dangerous!
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:49 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,935 Posts
I don't get how you could have plugged two into each other...

unless you use APPs...
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:55 PM
Vegas Flyer
Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2008
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post

unless you use APPs...
I use the gold bullet connectors,,they plug right in,,,,I'm gonna switch to a dean style that has both leads connected so you can't screw up...Although i feel confident that I will not do that again...
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:35 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:

unless you use APPs...

If you setup APP's correctly you can't do it with those connectors either.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:51 PM
mI spelin are good
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
The first time I ever bought a lipo, it came with odd ends on it so i decided to cut the wires as my freind enstructed me to do. So, you and stupid me, went and grabbed a pair of steel wire cutters. These wire cutters didnt have the runner grips on the handles. So, I dumbly tried to cut both wires at once. The cutters only went half way true before the cutters got so hot that it burned my hand pretty bad, talk about a painful beggingers mistake.
willlufixthis? is offline Find More Posts by willlufixthis?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
I had a similar thing happen when I plugged in a 10s pack into an improperly repaired ESC (my own fault). In a split second the deans plug was nearly vaporised and my fingers were black...with soot. I was freaked the f--- out but I wasn't burned. I saw the same thing happen to someone else with a 12s F-86 at the Ace in the Hole Vegas Electricfest. His hands were black with soot, but he was okay. I'm not sure the cause, the plane had flown fine a minute before, but I also witnessed his CC110HV burn up on 1/8 or less throttle-he was cooling the motor off after a flight.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
Vegas Flyer
Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2008
154 Posts
oh ya,,,,i got the black soot but was not burned,,,,freaked me out!!!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:24 AM
Vegas Flyer
Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2008
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
What are APPS,,,i want some,,,
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:29 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superblue View Post
What are APPS,,,i want some,,,
NO YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!!!! They're worse than deans, and are unable to carry the current Deans can. Also, they're larger, bulkier, and require a special crimper to work properly.

From ym experience, because I had a couple sets of properly crimped APPs before, they're horrible (the crimp joint caused the wires to split, and break off). I'll take EC3's over them any day, and Deans over all.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:29 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superblue View Post
I use the gold bullet connectors,,they plug right in,,,,I'm gonna switch to a dean style that has both leads connected so you can't screw up...Although i feel confident that I will not do that again...
Wait...I still don't get how that could happen unless one of the batteries was set up with male connectors and one with female. Or is it that you have positive as male and negative as female on each battery (or vice versa)? If so...yikes!
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:34 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willlufixthis? View Post
The first time I ever bought a lipo, it came with odd ends on it so i decided to cut the wires as my freind enstructed me to do. So, you and stupid me, went and grabbed a pair of steel wire cutters. These wire cutters didnt have the runner grips on the handles. So, I dumbly tried to cut both wires at once.
When we had our spa installed we hired an electrician to do the wiring. He did the same thing. 240v powered shower of sparks and he dropped the wire cutters. "Could you go inside and turn the power off for me?............I'll be right back, I need to get a new pair of wire cutters." Hahahaha.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:50 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:
NO YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!!!! They're worse than deans, and are unable to carry the current Deans can. Also, they're larger, bulkier, and require a special crimper to work properly.

From ym experience, because I had a couple sets of properly crimped APPs before, they're horrible (the crimp joint caused the wires to split, and break off). I'll take EC3's over them any day, and Deans over all.
You don't know what you are talking about.

You can solder them or crimp. They are available in a wide variety that can handle different current loads. The normal ones work at 40+amps just fine. They were popular long before deans and people have been using them since long before you have been flying.

For the other guy. They are Anderson Power Poles or Sermos connectors. This is what they go under at Towerhobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD175&P=ML
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:13 AM
m25
Joined Oct 2009
330 Posts
It happens man you've not been stupid, just lucky you didn't burn yourself.
As for the cutting both wires at once thing, I did that too, after 4 years of electronics-oriented school I went just cutting them both, short sparkle and the lipo was just dead. And I was just tinking "Aha,... and this was a short"
m25 is offline Find More Posts by m25
Last edited by m25; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: looks like i said something too obscene ?!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
Xpress is right. If you set up APP's properly, you can plug them into each other.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)