SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Binnie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,852 Posts
Discussion
A bit quiet?

Not posted in here for a while.

I'm building a Chris Foss Phase 6 at the moment, nearly done, just needs painting. Thread is in 'Slope' (too tired to link!!)

Looking at some other projects, thinking about a very small, scale, control-liner. I am fascinated by the 50s-60s era of aeromodelling, there are some lost skills there that I would like to try (wet Nylon covering !!!).

No television, no telephone, no Internet etc. that's why they were craftsmen!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:09 AM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Feb 2008
15 Posts
do not disturb

Gary,
But i found it easiest when i had a portable tv on the end of the bench, so i could build and keep up with the news etc. The internet is distraction however, but is also a great source information of how to do it right the first time rather than having to learn through my own mistakes. Also the net enables a greatly extendind flying family that is easy to keep in touch with (and far fewer rows:-) ). Keep up the good work on building Chris' back catalogue of plan he has designed some superb looking and performing gliders of all time, many of which would beenft from a review and rework with modern technology - I had a phase lift which i used in comps for a few years which had all the flaperon servo and mixing in the fus (Eeek) i think this would be great with revised section (HQ2.5/10) and a 4 servo wing. I remember Chris having a Top Phase which was also a great looking model....i'll try and dig out some photos of these and post them over the xmas break.
Take care in the workshop - especially if your workshop is as cold as mine i could cut my finger and not know till the hand thaws out when i get back in the house !
Cheers and festive greetings
Timboiow
timboiow is offline Find More Posts by timboiow
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:58 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,852 Posts
Sorry, missed that post Timbo.

More plans are on the way from Chris!! Phase Lift and Hi-Phase and the tail bellcrank for a Phase 5 (already have the plan), spoilt for choice.

I did pick up a Phase Lift recently from eBay and I've still got a Centi Phase under restoration (new canopy for it also on the way from CF).

I did suggest to him that people were interested in his plans (well ok, just me!!) and he has just updated his website to include some of them.

I resurrected my Wots-Wot today and hope to fly it again soon. It might appear that I am besotted with his designs, maybe!! They are widely accepted winners, I've read that some people think that the Phase 6 was a step backwards from the 5, won't know until I've built a 5. He uses particular techniques and design features in his models and I understand them now (the most used technique is sanding!!).

The Xtra Wot is intriguing, saw one hanging up in a shop window, bit of a monster!! Half-tempted.

I do like Flair kits, would love to build the K8 but they are as rare as stuff that comes from rocking horses nowadays... ! Why don't they produce some more???

I finally broke my Wildthing up the slope last week, did not think it was possible, might try and tape it together.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie