HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2009, 04:58 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
Discussion
Here we go! building larger quad for AP work..please pitch in!

Hello, I have been flying and testing the QUadPowered board and find it stable enough for an AP brain. My goal: build a quad with it that has the lift capacity of a 90size gasser, I am going to be using the camera mount from http://www.airfoilhelicams.com/
I already have this mount and it makes a GREAT landing gear set and camera pan/tilt for a quad, and it is VERY strong.

so, as of right now I want to lift lets just call it:

3lbs for mount
4lb for camera and downlink
so lets call it 8lb of payload.

Can you folks help me SIZE things?

ALSO MOST IMPORTANT IS RELIABILITY, I don't need a 2700USD camera falling out of the sky due to poor quality control on an ESC or MOTOR..please ADVISE on brands if you have STRONG reason that one is better then other..

here is what I am looking at now:

MOTORS:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._%28Eq:4010%29
they say its good for a 3lb model, that would be 12lb model x 4 motors

QUESTION: what is the thrust needed and what combo of prop with this motor would be best?

ESC:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Brushless_ESC

rule of thumb; buy bigger esc then motor rating? is this a good one?

POWER:

I don't know what I need here ..please advise!
obin is offline Find More Posts by obin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:15 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
maybe this type pack x2 for parellel connection of a total of 12amp power source?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-SLASH-EMAXX-...item2ea7f9bb12
Old Dec 20, 2009, 05:16 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
what can I figure this machine will draw while in hover? 4amps or more? what does a big electric 90size heli draw?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hopelessly Addicted
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
Whatever you do, be very careful!! A quad with those motors could seriously do some damage!!

I have been cut a couple of times with my MUCH smaller motor/prop combo and had to get stitches. So I am just saying - be careful...

-Jamie
asifjahmed is offline Find More Posts by asifjahmed
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:38 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obin View Post
what can I figure this machine will draw while in hover? 4amps or more? what does a big electric 90size heli draw?

Probably around 140 - 150 amps in a hover ..... WHOA ....
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:08 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
Anyone seen props for larger craft? I am afraid that I may be up aginst it when it comes to props...ideas?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:09 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
it's gotta be safer then a 720mm carbon blade on a gasser
Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
who has built a big one and with what parts?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
She blinded me with science!
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
437 Posts
Check out page 72 in the QuadPowered thread.

Big problem will be props. You'll likely have to use custom Carbon Fiber Blades as there aren't any large "off-the-shelf" counter rotating pairs over 20" that will stand up. (That I know of) With the combo I tried on that thread page I easily got 700 grams of thrust at half throttle. However, that is only 2800 grams total and at least a 1000 is motor weight. With a big enough frame that doesn't leave much for payload. Also, if you go up in motor and prop size you turn the props slower so a lower Kv rating. FWIW
FourPlay is offline Find More Posts by FourPlay
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:09 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
just bought this outfit:

Power 32 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 770Kv Eflight motor
and the Eflight matching 60amp esc

I am looking at 12x6 props...motor recommends them...thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:29 AM
destructive testing expert
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
I would go for a different solution: 6 or 8 prop machine. This has the most important benefit of higher reliability, plus you can work with smaller motors and props.

QuadPowered does not support this, but e.g. MK does. As you're already investing much $$$ in photography equipment, you should not hesitate to invest in the controller.

Dror
dcaspi is offline Find More Posts by dcaspi
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:15 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaspi View Post
I would go for a different solution: 6 or 8 prop machine. This has the most important benefit of higher reliability, plus you can work with smaller motors and props.

QuadPowered does not support this, but e.g. MK does. As you're already investing much $$$ in photography equipment, you should not hesitate to invest in the controller.

Dror
Yes, I am sure that this is the way to go, as if a motor is in trouble then the overall effect is much less and the flight can be safely rescued.
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:56 AM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
interesting indeed. what is the link for that controller?

just spent 700$ on motors and escs!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:04 AM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
I would like to ask George: Can you program the QuadPowered board to a state that an emergency landing is possible with the loss of one motor? I understand it will spin in circles but could this be done so that at least we could get it out of the sky in one piece?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
so if I had opposing motors...would I need to have the props spin the same direction or opposite of the main top rotors?

I'm thinking of 8 motors, one facing up and down on the end of each corner...what is the downside to this config?