HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:21 AM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
311 Posts
www.cermark.net. 28 gauge 3 strand twisted wire. No. 284FJWRLT, 10 feet for $5.
EloyM is online now Find More Posts by EloyM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
There is a winding wire often used for making RF chokes that i use wich has the advantage that the insulation burns away with the soldering
no stripping needed.
I used a piece of 2"x1" pine drilled to led head size at the spacing required ,2 nails at each end tie the wire around a nail then a turn around each anode of each led until i reach the end ,then do the same down the other side, then run along with a hot iron and solder , easy and the finished product can be slipped into foam slit out of sight, a bit of blenderm or cyno keeps things tidy.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
My preference for wiring low-power systems like LEDs is Kynar wrapping wire. It's 30ga, extremely flexible, and very easy to solder, and unlike magnet wire it's a piece of cake to strip as well. It doesn't give you the nice color-coded pairs you can get with ribbon cable, but I tend to wire long series strings of LEDs anyway, so paired wire doesn't help me much.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:40 PM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
311 Posts
I also like wire-wrap wire for certain tasks, such as jumpers in PC boards. However 50 feet (Radio Shack) is more that I would ever use. Actually a yard would be more than enough. Someone wanna share? Eloy
EloyM is online now Find More Posts by EloyM
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2009
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinate View Post
My preference for wiring low-power systems like LEDs is Kynar wrapping wire. It's 30ga, extremely flexible, and very easy to solder, and unlike magnet wire it's a piece of cake to strip as well. It doesn't give you the nice color-coded pairs you can get with ribbon cable, but I tend to wire long series strings of LEDs anyway, so paired wire doesn't help me much.
+1

Get the wrapping/stripping tool as well: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...lickid=prod_cs

The swivel top comes off and there's a handy wire stripper inside the handle - works extremely well on the tiny wire.

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:56 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
ive used that radio shack wire, the 30 ga , to light a 2m sailplane up with LEDS in the wing frame plus red and green wingtip lights, a super bright red LED in the tail and a super bright 5mm white light in the nose.

Stuff was easy to use and I think it is still working 20 years later . . I no longer have the plane but a family friend is still flying it and old flying friends say they have seen him flying it at dusk...

I think it is tough to solder and takes a little patience to work with but is easy to hide and had be repaired if severed.
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Mar 27, 2010, 02:59 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
There is a winding wire often used for making RF chokes that i use wich has the advantage that the insulation burns away with the soldering
no stripping needed.
I agree, this wrap wire is probably the lightest ever and it comes in colors.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:45 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post
I agree, this wrap wire is probably the lightest ever and it comes in colors.
Hooray someone else has seen the light (pardon the pun)
it really is a no brainer and for marine use a bit of nail polish over the soldered joints makes it waterproof.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:52 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
link to the winding wire?

got a link to this winding wire so I too can be - illuminated
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:53 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,946 Posts
so what you are saying is that if you hold the led lead over the wire and start soldering, the lead will hold without have the casing peeled off and the addition of the melted casing wont effect the joint??
nice!
with the radio shack stuff you need to gently roll the wire under a razor blade then gently pull..I used that liquid electrical tape on mine, it was a little heavier than the heat shrink but a whole heck of a lot easier to plan. and is waterproof also . ..not that I ever tried it on a Uboat . . I mean float plane
Old Mar 28, 2010, 02:58 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062642
30 gauge and it comes in several colors.

Us a drill to spin two colors, (lightly here ,don't over do it) into a thin two strand lead if you want to be tidy.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Apr 09, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1 Posts
Super lightweight wire

If you can wait about 6 months, my company Sodium Wire LLC will be shipping affordably priced super lightweight electrical wire that weighs only 1/3 as much as copper wire.

You can go to sodiumwire.com for more information. Put your name on the mailing list to be informed as soon as it is available. US patent 7,626,122 provides more technical information if you are interested.

Considering it should not cost much more than copper wire, I think for experimenters/hobbyists it should be a no-brainer to try the stuff. This wire was made for you, a means of effortlessly shaving weight off your projects. I will be very interested in learning of people's experience.
DavidLevine is offline Find More Posts by DavidLevine