HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:39 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
978 Posts
Question
What is a Good, All-Around, Light Weight Video Cam for an Electric Sailplane?

I am looking of an easy-to-use, good quality, and very lightweight video camera that I can mount to a lightweight thermaling sailplane. I have no experience with these devices and would like to keep things simple. I don't want to spend more than about $150. I have a PC and not a Mac, for whatever that's worth. I've been thinking of just going with one of the "gum" cams or keychain cams. What I'd really like would be an even smaller camera than these two, with no audio (to make smaller), and with a swiveling lense. Any ideas?

Thanks,
AEM
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Dec 19, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:20 AM
Certified Codger
NE Texas
Joined Jan 2008
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
I am looking of an easy-to-use, good quality, and very lightweight video camera that I can mount to a lightweight thermaling sailplane. I have no experience with these devices and would like to keep things simple. I don't want to spend more than about $150. I have a PC and not a Mac, for whatever that's worth. I've been thinking of just going with one of the "gum" cams or keychain cams. What I'd really like would be an even smaller camera than these two, with no audio (to make smaller), and with a swiveling lense. Any ideas?

Thanks,
AEM
SMALLER than a keychain camera? Wow! I'd like to see that myself. As for swiveling, you could just mount a keychain camera on the arm of a micro servo and swivel the whole camera.

John
wingspann is offline Find More Posts by wingspann
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
The gum cams seem to be good for the price. Footage might become somewhat montonous if you're thermaling for a long time
matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
978 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys. I decided to purchase the "pro" version of the gum cam. It has 640x480 resolution at 30 fps, has pretty low weight (53 g or 1.9 oz), comes with a swivel bracket mount, and costs $60 when purchased from a Chinese distributor (as opposed to $150 from a US distributor. It is known as the Mega Mini Pro here, and the MD80 there, among other names). From the research I have conducted, it appears that upgrading the stock micro SD card that comes with it (~$15 more dollars) significantly improves the recording quality.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 12z Backlight
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:46 PM
Joined Dec 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I decided to purchase the "pro" version of the gum cam. It has 640x480 resolution at 30 fps, has pretty low weight (53 g or 1.9 oz), comes with a swivel bracket mount, and costs $60 when purchased from a Chinese distributor (as opposed to $150 from a US distributor. It is known as the Mega Mini Pro here, and the MD80 there, among other names). From the research I have conducted, it appears that upgrading the stock micro SD card that comes with it (~$15 more dollars) significantly improves the recording quality.
Do you have a link to this camera and where you bought it??

THanks! OL JR
lukestrawalker is offline Find More Posts by lukestrawalker
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:19 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
978 Posts
Here is the link to where I bought the MD80 camera:
http://www.yotang.com/mini-dv-md80--...FQZfagod0jpAxQ

Here is the link to the Sandisk micro SD card along with the appropriate card adaptor and USB card reader:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Cheers,
AEM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 12z Backlight
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
182 Posts
Turnigy Camera

Have tried this camera... works really good and the weight is only 28 grams. For $40 it's hard to miss!

http://unitedhobbies.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10093
Txskywriter is offline Find More Posts by Txskywriter