SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:10 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 4#6 - Review, Mods, Repairs & Vids

Wow was nice enough to let me have a chance to fly the new 4#6 today and my first impression is very good. I took this vid flying her completely stock out of the box so I had an idea of what really hitting the market. This heli is rock steady in hover indoors and outdoors. The SDVP tail works as good as the 4G6 but this is a FP heli with all the stability you would expect from that. Climbout is adequate (but if I will be adding more power for the next test flight) and it is quite responsive for a FP heli. She comes in at 80.3g AUW including the canopy and 600mah pack. Very nice. The stock Wk 003 main motor runs reasonalby cool and flight times are about 7+mins. Sweet. The vid was done near the beach in 5+ MPH wind (you can see the trees moving pretty good) so I let her rip to see what happened. Sorry about the vid quality but I am still getting used to my new "capcam". LOL More to come...

Walkera 4#6 from Wowhobbies.com (3 min 7 sec)
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:12 AM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
dkfuji is it an easy job to convert this to a 4g6?
i am guessing that a complete 4g6 rotor,a servo for pitch and a 4g6 rx will turn this into a 4g6...
congoz is offline Find More Posts by congoz
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:34 AM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congoz View Post
dkfuji is it an easy job to convert this to a 4g6?
i am guessing that a complete 4g6 rotor,a servo for pitch and a 4g6 rx will turn this into a 4g6...
You are probably correct on that one. It looks like it would be a pretty easy conversion. The frame is the same and all the gearing appears to be the same. I am sure Wk did not change the gear ratio for the tail so it should be simple. I did mod a 4G6 to be a 4#6 and that worked really well. Now that I have the correct blade size to compare it too, I think it will perform even better. The next thing was installing wow's new inrunner and man is this thing stupid fast.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:01 PM
Quads helis and planes
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
Would this heli be a good step up after nine eagles solo pro and kestrel? thanks
jeremyjake is offline Find More Posts by jeremyjake
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:52 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyjake View Post
Would this heli be a good step up after nine eagles solo pro and kestrel? thanks
I believe this heli would be a nice step up from those helis. I own a Solo Pro 2 and it flies okay but is nothing compared to flying this one. First off, there is no TBE with this heli. So when you hover you really don't have to fight the heli itself. Also, if FF, it does hot have the nasty tendency to go nose up and take a tail dive (affectionately known as the "FP tail spear") nor does it tip in a banked turn and accelerate into the ground (also know as the "FP Death Roll"). IMO it is a pretty calm flyer and good for the beginner and intermediate pilot.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:53 PM
Quads helis and planes
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I believe this heli would be a nice step up from those helis. I own a Solo Pro 2 and it flies okay but is nothing compared to flying this one. First off, there is no TBE with this heli. So when you hover you really don't have to fight the heli itself. Also, if FF, it does hot have the nasty tendency to go nose up and take a tail dive (affectionately known as the "FP tail spear") nor does it tip in a banked turn and accelerate into the ground (also know as the "FP Death Roll"). IMO it is a pretty calm flyer and good for the beginner and intermediate pilot.
Thanks that's what i wanted to hear can't wait to order mine i usually fly in my room and living room, occasionally on a closed basketball court when no one is using it
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:19 PM
Quads helis and planes
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
Oh no, I just press the buy now button! shoot!!! got it for 147.34 shipped
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:32 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,840 Posts
How does it compare to the cb100 more or less stable?
Also saying that you would recomend it for beginners it must take some abuse.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:47 PM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
i far as i can see from the photos the flybar paddles are different from the 4#3 and 4g3s.
i believe wk made them heavier for added stability.
for beginners cb100 is the way to go, they r not on the same league.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 04:31 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyjake View Post
Oh no, I just press the buy now button! shoot!!! got it for 147.34 shipped
Wow good price where did you get it??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:13 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
How does it compare to the cb100 more or less stable?
Also saying that you would recomend it for beginners it must take some abuse.
It is a little less stable than the CB100 by design. It is afterall, a 90* flybar with paddles. I think with the reduced HS and FP blades, it will take a couple good sliding hits and survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congoz View Post
i far as i can see from the photos the flybar paddles are different from the 4#3 and 4g3s.
i believe wk made them heavier for added stability.
for beginners cb100 is the way to go, they r not on the same league.
The flybar paddles are in fact hollow. They do not weigh as much as they look like they should. They are hollowed out with a sticker on the top and bottom for surface area. I really want to try these on the 4G6 to see if I get more cyclic snap due to the aero shape of the new paddles.

Here is a short indoor vid to show how stable she is:

Walkera 4#6 Indoor Test Flight (2 min 30 sec)
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
It is a little less stable than the CB100 by design. It is afterall, a 90* flybar with paddles. I think with the reduced HS and FP blades, it will take a couple good sliding hits and survive.

The flybar paddles are in fact hollow. They do not weigh as much as they look like they should. They are hollowed out with a sticker on the top and bottom for surface area. I really want to try these on the 4G6 to see if I get more cyclic snap due to the aero shape of the new paddles.

Here is a short indoor vid to show how stable she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtufRdOoDg
Knowing how well this heli is performing, Wow Hobbies has commited to expand the 4#6 line to its fullest, starting with the Super 4#6 in 2 upgraded configurations, one with Turbo Ace 81229 BL motor and the other with Turbo Ace 31714 BL motor which will be available just before or after Christmas. Too bad the super motor models may not make it under the Tree this year. Yes, we will also be glad to help those who wish to do their own conversions.

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
wowhobbies is offline Find More Posts by wowhobbies
Last edited by wowhobbies; Dec 20, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:24 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
Nice Video Darryl!
Looks Like I am the only Dealer In the USA to Have the 4#6 in Stock Now.
They are Nice Flyers for sure Walkera Did it again.
Cheers, JohnW
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:00 AM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Hey John. I figure what you have on hand will probably sell out very quickly once the word of how good this heli flies gets around a little more. Good job on getting them in so quickly.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 06:24 AM
Joined Jul 2009
288 Posts
Quote:

thanks for replies.
waiting to hear your feedback on the paddles.