HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
Joined Jul 2009
143 Posts
Build Log
F-101 Voodoo *PLANS*, Final Pics RF-101, *VIDEO* added

Hello all,

This one has been kicked around a bit. I finally broke down and put my mind to figuring out sketchup a little and came up with some plans to share.

These are "builders" plans so there are not a bunch of details. If you have built a Jetset44 style plane or other parkjet you will be able to figure this one out. The airframe is all there though... and a built up way of developing the inlets and nacelles.

I can scale the plans to whatever you like or I'll post the .skp file and you can modify to your hearts content!

I'd like feedback on the plans, just bear in mind this is my first whack at developing them.

FMD.

F-101 voodoo, RF-101 easy mod to nose cone
Span 20"
Length about 35"
AUW 8.1 oz.

my version I'm thinking
Ailerons and elevator
24g outrunner
600 mah 3s
prop 6x4 or 7x6 sf

any questions drop me a line.
Hope to see some successful builds!
Thanks.

RC RF-101 Voodoo Parkjet (3 min 50 sec)
firemandad is offline Find More Posts by firemandad
Last edited by firemandad; Jan 27, 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add video
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,675 Posts
Wow, can't wait to see the plans and the build!

Subscribed.

David
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2009
143 Posts
Thanks David. How goes the MIG?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:42 AM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,675 Posts
Shes coming along at my usual half fast pace. I hope to start glassing this weekend: it just depends on how everything sands into shape.

What is the wing span for your build, 20"?

David
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:38 AM
Joined Jul 2009
143 Posts
How did you guess? Seems like very little wing area.. gonna have to fly fast. Hope the fuselage provides a little lift too. Just finished cutting out the majority of the parts, now i have to shovel snow to get to the shop.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:18 PM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,083 Posts
terific

oh this is an terific jet to model. would be very interested in plans for this one. Subscribed. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:23 PM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandad View Post
How did you guess? Seems like very little wing area.. gonna have to fly fast. Hope the fuselage provides a little lift too. Just finished cutting out the majority of the parts, now i have to shovel snow to get to the shop.
The guess was easy. 'When you posted the parts layout on a sheet on fff the size was obvious. I bet she will be a fast flyer. Can't wait to see her in action.

Why did you use fff for the wings? I did on my first Mig and I will never do it again. I like Deron for the flat surfaces, it comes out so much nicer.

David
Old Dec 19, 2009, 01:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshea View Post
oh this is an terific jet to model. would be very interested in plans for this one. Subscribed. Phil
I still want to glue up what I have cut out then i'll adjust the plans if necessary and post them. Thanks for the interest!

David,

I was thinking about some depron for the wings. I have not cut the slot for them yet and I have some 3mm I could use. I was going for economy! I may yet use the depron with a 3mm flat carbon spar.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:27 PM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandad View Post
I still want to glue up what I have cut out then i'll adjust the plans if necessary and post them. Thanks for the interest!

David,

I was thinking about some depron for the wings. I have not cut the slot for them yet and I have some 3mm I could use. I was going for economy! I may yet use the depron with a 3mm flat carbon spar.
I used 6mm depron with two cabon 0.150" fiber spars on the Mig.

David
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:55 PM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,675 Posts
Looking good! Wow she is going together fast. Keep on posting

David
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
Duarte, CA
Joined Jun 2008
218 Posts
FMD,

Cool subject and design. Watching with interest. Have you decided on your battery hatch approach yet?

Ben
triple_b is offline Find More Posts by triple_b
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:28 PM
Joined Jul 2009
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_b View Post
FMD,

Cool subject and design. Watching with interest. Have you decided on your battery hatch approach yet?

Ben
I'll stash the battery under the canopy in the nose.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:45 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
258 Posts
for color schemes look up CF101 in google images, we used the jets in Canada from the early 60's till 84 when the F-18's took over. We have two here in Edmonton at the Alberta Avaiation Museum, one of which is on a neat pedestal like the old testors model. There were some show color schemes do on some of the demonstrator aircraft over the years. The CAF damn near flew the wings off of them before they retired them.
http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/po...ontoncf101.htm
Dudley is offline Find More Posts by Dudley
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:36 AM
Joined Jul 2009
143 Posts
Looks like they had a long history with Canada. Are you gonna build one? Mine is coming along at a pretty fast clip. Check out this aptly named variant.

The electric voodoo it was called.

Also interesting how the Genie nuclear missiles were managed between US and Canada.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
258 Posts
I would like to do one , maybe this spring

Back in 1974 I lived in North Bay Ontario, and was in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets and was on the end of the runway in front of the 5 minute alert hangers assembling a cadet glider when 2 101's took off going back to thier base in Quebec. The pilots saw us and did a 180 turn and came back over the hanger and did a tailstand right above us. They were so low that the jet blast damn near riped the wing of the glider out of my hands. After the first one left, the second one did the same thing. I can still remember the glow of the afterburners! They couldn't have been more than 50 feet above that hanger
Dudley is offline Find More Posts by Dudley
Last edited by Dudley; Dec 21, 2009 at 02:38 PM.