HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:56 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,133 Posts
Question
How can I soften the start on my 4#3b metal/double brushless?

I've had my 4#3b for a couple of days and have the model dialed-in and flying to my liking. I have one question tho, the model has a pretty abrupt spin-up. Is there a way to soften the start on the 4#3b metal double brushless? I am using the stock tx. The manual, while entertaining to read (with its amusing Chinglish) provides no real insight. On another note, I presume the tx offers no expo adjustment; can someone confirm this?

Ps. The model is a handful, no doubt, but I am getting used to it. And it's nice to be able to fly circuits in my living room when it's too cold to fly my other models outside...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Last edited by elan; Dec 17, 2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarity
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:24 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
changing to a different motor is the only way i know of, you get used to it though as long as it actually starts reliably is the main concern .. some will sit there and hiccup and not even start for a few seconds and thats worse .. anyway yeah the absolute smoothest starting motor ive ever used was a turbo ace from wow 81016 or somthing like that its the blue one .. another motor i like is the hp05 rotor fever probably has those but i doubt it will start better than what you have ... make sure your gear mesh is on the loose side
* i didnt see the blue turboace it must be disco'ed .. theres a red one there at wow hobby now listed as with 'easy start' technology .. thats probably the same thing.
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Last edited by dze; Dec 17, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,133 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dze View Post
changing to a different motor is the only way i know of, you get used to it though as long as it actually starts reliably is the main concern .. some will sit there and hiccup and not even start for a few seconds and thats worse .. anyway yeah the absolute smoothest starting motor ive ever used was a turbo ace from wow 81016 or somthing like that its the blue one .. another motor i like is the hp05 rotor fever probably has those but i doubt it will start better than what you have ... make sure your gear mesh is on the loose side
* i didnt see the blue turboace it must be disco'ed .. theres a red one there at wow hobby now listed as with 'easy start' technology .. thats probably the same thing.
-I got the model on Tuesday and have only put six real packs through it since properly trimming it. I have to admit that I haven't checked the gear mesh yet; thank you for the reminder! I did check the swash and linkages tho (the linkages where 90 degrees and the swash was dead-on level), I carefully set the cg and trimmed her out so that she is flying real nice.

My only complaint is the abrupt start. I'm concerned that I might be ripping up the drive train. I found one thing that does help: After binding the model, I find that increasing the throttle trim to max noticably softens the start.

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on that turboace clone at wow. I'll for sure check it out. I intend to use this little model as a heli-fix all winter :-)
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Last edited by elan; Dec 18, 2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarity