HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2001, 09:12 AM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Albatros DVa Spinner question

Hi:
I am scratch building a 36" ws Albatros DVa and am nearing the stage where I need to consider the prop spinner. Does anyone know where to get spinners like those on this plane? It needs to be much more blunt than the pointed ones on more modern aircraft. I suppose that I could make my own with the soda bottle plastic and heat shrink technique but I am also concerned about the spinner effect on prop balance. Is it better to skip the spinner and only use a dummy one for looks on the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2001, 09:33 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Kurt,
It would be a great pity to leave the spinner off your DVa, it would spoil the look completely.
If you have the issue of FSM with the plan for my MS Type N, which has a very similar spinner, I detailed how mine was made. Basically it was turned from blue foam and glassed with skinning cloth (1/2 oz.). It worked really well and everything spun up fine once it was installed. No balance problems at all.
You know where to get me if you need more info.
Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 20, 2001, 11:09 AM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Pete:

That is a great idea. I think I know where to proceed now. Turning it out of blue foam solves the shape issue nicely.

Thanks so much.

Kurt
Old Sep 21, 2001, 03:19 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,444 Posts
Kurt

The Scorpio Albatros DV foamie parkflier has a substantial ABS spinner that looks for all the world like a yoghurt pot. That model is 34" span but I suppose there is a possibility that the spinner might fit - perhaps Hobby Lobby carries spares? I can measure the dimensions of the spinner from the kit if you would like.

Peter's construction article for the Morane spinner looks like the bee knee's to get the shape spot on.

Another possibility I'd consider for a hemispherical spinner would be to vac form or build up with a couple of layers of glasscloth over a suitably sized ball and then cut to the correct size.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 21, 2001, 03:46 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Brian:

Thank you for your suggestion.

Yesterday, Mike Hines from Hobby Lobby contacted me and offered a free spinner from a mangled Scorpio Albatros DV kit that they had on hand! I was so impressed at his gesture that I placed an order to make his effort worthwhile. We really have a super hobby with the best suppliers anyone could hope for.

It is so touching to have nice things like this happen now that we are in this war.

Kurt
Old Sep 24, 2001, 12:48 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
Hi Kurt, The albatros is on my list of projects and your's sounds like the size I would like to build. Did you make up your own plans or where did you get plans? Arizona Models'plans are in the 29 to 32 inch range,also I put the Albatros on Perer Rakes plans wish list. Anyway, I would like to hear more about your project, ......thanks , Frank
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Sep 24, 2001, 02:23 PM
Designing on the edge
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
Frank:

This project is actually one that just sort of evolved. Initially, I bought the Albatros DII plans by Steve Stratt of Aerodrome Models ( Arizona Models sell kits made from his plans). These planes are a work of art and typify the most acurate in scale building. However, I wanted a plane that I would build quicker and fly without fear of losing a year of work. So I have been looking for Albatros plans on the net. In the 1960s I build Guillows 18" Albatros DVa and wanted to remake that one at double scale. I did find the plans at http://www.freeflightmodels.com but I also found a set of plans from Earl Stahl published in Model Airplane News of 1945 http://members.nbci.com/gthunter/planpage. ( Currently this page is down)
It was also an 18" plan for rubber power and I decided as a lark to see if I could build the whole thing doubled in a three day weekend. I thought that I would not be making a serious model and actually built the fuse during that weekend. One thing led to another and now it has turned into a real project. I now have 36" ws carbon rod leading edge wings with scale like pull pull ailerons and no dihedral. I am trying to make this plane semi-scale of like Richtofen's squadron painted red. I used my desktop CNC to cut the parts and most of my time is tied up in makeing reliable strut connections, wing connections, power plant mounting (S400 with 1:2.33 titanic airlines gearbox) and generally making up the necessary details from a very simple plan. It would have been better to use a more complete plan but I am into it now and am learning a lot.