to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:26 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Transmitter battery voltage is a factor. You will get some added range if you get a 3 cell (11.1V-12.6V) Lipo for your transmitter. You can expect maybe 2 extra volts from a Lipo pack. Lipo packs speced out for RC transmitter use (shape, size, connector) are becoming common. Their power on time between charges is at least 4 times as long as a brand new nicad pack, although you ought to take the battery pack access cover off and charge it through the balance connector when you charge it once a month.

Cliff

Now if I get my Futaba 9c and replace its nicad pack with a lipo should the voltage increase do any damage to the radio?
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:00 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Now if I get my Futaba 9c and replace its nicad pack with a lipo should the voltage increase do any damage to the radio?
I have been using a 3 cell lipo in my 9C for 3 years now with no problems. It's a Lightning Power 2650mah 3cell rated at 4C and with a full charge I can run the transmitter for 7 to 8 hours, I charge it when it gets down to 11 volts but I could run it lower. I'll never go back to ni-cads.
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:22 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Do you still charge it with the stock charger or a lipo charger? And where did you get it? My 9C nicad is getting iffy, low run times.
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Do you still charge it with the stock charger or a lipo charger? And where did you get it? My 9C nicad is getting iffy, low run times.
Never charge a LiPo with anything but a LiPo charger. I've been running LiPo's in my Tx for years with no problems. I do not charge the LiPo through the Tx charge port. I always disconnect the LiPo from the Tx and charge directly from my LiPo charger. There may be no need to do it this way, but it just doesn't sit right with me to charge a LiPo though the radio's circuitry.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
I got mine at Helihobby. They still have them on their site, PART#LP-B0106 $49.99 and are plug and play, They already have the correct connector for the radio.
http://helihobby.com/html/batteries.html
You can use any 3 cell lipo as long as it fits in the battery compartment and NEVER charge a lipo with anything but a lipo charger. I leave the lipo in the radio but take the back cover off and charge it with the balancing tap but I sometimes use my Thunder power 1010c charger so I replaced the Spektrum plug on the battery with a deans and charge though it and the charger monitors the cells though the balance plug.
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:32 AM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,569 Posts
My 2nd V antenna, each one i make looks better than the last...

:-)
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by badlands; Sep 04, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:53 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
That's a good looking antenna. Very professional looking... better than mine
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:08 AM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,569 Posts
Thx Alex, just having trouble finding a good location for it on my Stryker...

Martin
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:47 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
Thx Alex, just having trouble finding a good location for it on my Stryker...

Martin
I'd like to see some pics of your set up on the Stryker when you get it all sorted....if it's not too much trouble.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:57 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
I built this and stuck it in Depron to hold it... does it look ok?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:09 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,674 Posts
Newbie FPV base station question...how do I connect the power for everything?

The 2 receivers and diversity station each need power as well as the Fat Shark goggles...so that's 4 things requiring 12volt power. I have one 3s 2200 battery, so how do I make the connection between everything?? ...is it as simple as connecting all of the positives and then all of the negatives and then just plugging it into the battery? ...that would be way too simple, so do I need some kind of circuit board or voltage regulator...please help!!!

Thank youl
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 04, 2010, 03:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Wonga Park
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
Inverted Vee Tx with Moxon Rx

I have the HK 200mW 900MHz system and I built the antennas from IBCrazy's threads http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266148 and they have been working well. I haven't tested the full range yet but they definitely work better than the stock HK antennas (less interference and static).

I'm using a 7" cheapy LCD with a cardboard box over it, but it's still pretty hard to see.

I've posted some photo's of my setup for your amusement.
ldriess is offline Find More Posts by ldriess
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:39 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Hey that looks nicer than what I'm doing with the goggles and all... I guess, if you make the antenna like mine up there, it's not "inverted" but just a V? What is the meaning of inverted, and does it matter?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:49 AM
five by five
Panama City Bch, FL
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Hey that looks nicer than what I'm doing with the goggles and all... I guess, if you make the antenna like mine up there, it's not "inverted" but just a V? What is the meaning of inverted, and does it matter?
see here. it does make a difference which way the V faces.
-sj
sonicj is offline Find More Posts by sonicj