Closed Thread
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Coming to a Town Near You
Joined Dec 2009
56 Posts
Discussion
A Couple of Watt Meter Vids

Looking for the pack with the most punch? ...... Me Too !!!

Using a Medusa watt meter, Buzz and I have been running up a bunch of 3s1p2200 packs in a high powered Parkzone T-28 drawing anywhere from 600w to 900w and 60a to 80a (different packs provide different power).

We have also been running up 4s packs in a hopped up E-Flite Pitts drawing anywhere form 800w to 1300w 65a to 85a (depending on which pack).

These tests are just simple 6 second wot tests to see how much power a pack will offer us. Obviously the pack that holds it's voltage better will produce the greatests number of watts, and you can easily see that on the watt meter. You can also see which pack "sustains" better voltage as well.

We started recording these tests with new packs, then again after 10 cycles, then again after 20 cycles, then again after 30 cycles, etc. We started these tests in the hot summer, kept on going thru the fall, and are now continuing the tests thoughout the cold snowy winter.

We have also been recording in-flight Eagle tree data by flying each pack through the same routine/course so you can see on the graph which pack is performing better and longer.

These are not "laboratory" type tests with precise controlled enviroments, but rather our own tests to help us choose which packs to purchase. The info turned out to be so valuable to the "average" flyer, that I thought we would video these tests, and then share them with you fellow RC enthusiasts.

We have been testing two of each pack, (in case we get a dud/lower performer then norm), but have found that the QC is not an issue with any of the packs tested.

These tests are NOT completed, and we are still receiving lipos to test, but because of the personal attacks I have had to endure (from some) members on other threads, I thought I would share a couple vids of what we have been doing. Here are just 5 vids (we are testing more than 5 3s2200 packs) to give you an idea of what we are doing, take them as you wish, but please refrain from flaming, (as nothing is stopping you from running your own tests, or doing it your way). also, the packs we have been testing were all new, w/the exception of the two G3CX packs which had about 200 cycles on each already, (I will have to PM David for a fresh CX & VX pack to test, and see if Charlie Wang will give up a PP45c to test).

http://www.helistamagazine.com/wattt...urnigy749w.avi
www.helistamagazine.com/watttests/G3CX777w.avi
http://www.helistamagazine.com/wattt...wer30c799w.avi
http://www.helistamagazine.com/wattt...urnigy837w.avi
www.helistamagazine.com/watttests/SpyderO853.avi
LipoMythBuster is offline Find More Posts by LipoMythBuster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,844 Posts
If I may proffer a suggestion...

Since you own a watt-meter with computer logging capabilities, your 'data' would be far more useful if presented in graphical format that clearly shows voltage under load and specific 'test' conditions.

Few will have the patience or inclination to wait for 100+MB of video to buffer to their computers, especially if they lack adequate broadband connections.

Incidentally, what are you using to charge your packs? Reason I ask is that there is quite a bit of variability in the starting voltage of each run which can bias and invalidate the results.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
If I may proffer a suggestion...
Mark
No Mark, you may not.
You may of course test any packs any way you choose though, and present them in any fashion that suits you.
I have discovered that many of the "average" type flyers don't like reading graphs, and would prefer video.
Each pack will be videod 20 times which should easily average out any little inconsistancies. If it is graphs that you seek, there will be Eagle Tree graphs of actual in-flight performances, (as already stated).

When our testing is completed and published, you may freely use the info as a guide to help choose which pack best suit you, or you may simply ignore the whole report. It'll be up to the individual RC enthusiast to do with whatever he/she wants with the free info provided.

As stated above, these are simply 5 video clips that I posted as "an example" to show what we are doing. It is free info and you should treat it as such. I believe the average flyer will find value in our videos as testing packs at only 30a-40a does nothing to determine which lipo "packs the most punch", (and that's what these tests are aimed at). Cheers
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LipoMythBuster View Post
No Mark, you may not.

I have discovered that many of the "average" type flyers don't like reading graphs, and would prefer video.
Well call me strange as I consider myself an "average" type flyer and I happen to prefer data that is organized and presented in a concise format.

Quote:
I believe the average flyer will find value in our videos as testing packs at only 30a-40a does nothing to determine which lipo "packs the most punch"
I beg to differ. A pack that holds higher voltage under a 40A load will most certainly hold higher voltage under an 80A load, unless you've discovered a new type of lipoly that belies the laws of physics. Would be curious to see your data that backs this up.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Well call me strange as I consider myself an "average" type ..............
Mark

Last edited by LipoMythBuster; Dec 17, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:44 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Add me to the "strange" list. I watched one video - what a waste of time.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3 View Post
Add me to the "strange" list. I watched one video - what a waste of time.

Bill

Why, I'm not surprised at all Bill, since you already stated you had a closed mind to the idea well before I even posted this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3 View Post
Video results of "testing"? Sounds like really scientifically controlled testing - can't wait.

Bill

Maybe it would be wiser for me to just forget all the tests.
We could all just ask you which packs to purchase? Would you take the time to help us all out Bill?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:59 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,844 Posts
Quote:
We could all just ask you which packs to purchase? Would you take the time to help us all out Bill?
Or... make use of the published results from highly respected sources that perform carefully controlled tests and present results in an easy to consume format?

Perish the thought!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Why, I'm not surprised at all Bill, since you already stated you had a closed mind to the idea well before I even posted this thread.
You betcha. And it looks like I was proven correct.
Quote:
No.

Bill
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:17 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,146 Posts
This guy bears watching. I forsee great and wonderful things during his stay here.

mw (tic)
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Careful Mark, I got reported. Not sure if for post #6 or #9 or both. Gee, maybe the reporter will tell me.

Bill
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,146 Posts
Cool. It's been a while.
Shall we get down with the short version or shall we drag this out some more?
Rude and condescending people make me weary.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,684 Posts
Lipo, did you know you can compress those files to around 3mb?
I imagine your findings in this thread would be more beneficial if people did not back out due to those large downloads.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Last edited by rampman; Dec 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:29 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Lipo, did you know you can compress those files to around 3mb?
I imagine your findings in this thread would be more beneficial if people did not back out due to those large downloads. I have a t1 at work and a cable modem at home and I backed out at work and at home.
Rick
Careful making helpful suggestions Rick. You may just get ripped for it.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mrforsyth; Dec 16, 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:40 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,684 Posts
Fixed, thanks Mark.

Lipo, try this one. From 17.8 MB to 2.73 MB
http://fmxramps.com/RC/20cTurnigy749w_lo-res.wmv

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Closed Thread