HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:51 AM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
Discussion
Help on a low cost ESC

I am a newbie in scale electric boat.
This is also my FIRST @ost expeirence.
I need some advice on what brand or part # to get for an low cost ESC to salvage a low cost scale ship.

I saw a thred some time ago here on a low cost Hobbie King ESC for my requirement but cant seem to find that thread now.

I have a low cost electric scale boat with twin motors but run on one single 7.2v Nicaid battery pack.

Not sure the motor size or size due to low cost maker and dont want to uninstall it bcos of real flemsy constructions.

The boat is not working now after just one try ,so I am changing the configuration with a regular type transmitter receiver and ESC.

Instead of using two ESC I hope to use just one.

Please advice what low cost ESC I can use so that to accommodate the twin motors and what other attachment or cable I MIGHT need to make it work.
Thanks in advance for the kind help .

ChiChi
chilisoling50 is offline Find More Posts by chilisoling50
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:21 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
you could try ebay, they have cheap ESC's on there

i am assuming the motors are brushed motors, so you will need a brushed ESC, if you know what size they are then you can get the appropriate ESC
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:24 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,263 Posts
These are just about as 'cheap' as u can get...RTR
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp#
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:24 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,990 Posts
Without knowing the motor type, I could assume you are talking dual 380 sized. Try two of these:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0A_BRUSHED_ESC
Connected to the Rx with:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...%285pcs/bag%29
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:18 AM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
Thanks Nick30, Realtime and Corrnel P. for the quick response.

First I assume it is 380 size motor ( due to low cost) without un-soldering it first from the hull frame.

Second I was hoping for a single ESC that can connect to two motors and to one port of the receiver.If all possible ?
Hobbycity Tech section dont even bother to reply my inquiry.

Since I have not seen any new type ESC before and dont know what or how the wire connections even look like ?
All pics are partial viewing showing the main ESC but not the wires or connectors.

CornelP or any Gents here;

1. ) So If I do use 2 ESC here the 2 ESC are connected to the receiver with a Y harnes servo lead which I already have now.

2.) then do I do the same with the Single battery pack to the twin motors ?
Do I use the same Y harnes servo lead type ? I dont think so though.
Or I should use twin battery pack, one for each motor ?( with Tamiya type connector)
does the ESC have the right type of connector ?I might need to get their type of connector and solder up a battery pack.

Gents. Sorry for all these elementary questions. since I am really ignorant on new advance type electronics.
I am more used to those OLD ESC type and Sail boat related electronics, accessories etc and single type motor and battery. :-(

Please advice if can.
Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:36 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
if you buy a 200a brushed ESC, this gives you plenty of room to play with because you can wire both motors to the one ESC, all you need is a parallel harness, i know i go on about ebay, but thats where i got my harness's

the good thing about doing it this way is you only need 1 battery with enough power to go to both motors

starting at the battery

battery connection as normal
wires to the motors put a parallel harness on the motor connector then the other 2 ends go to both motors (wired in parallel) then connect red, black, white connector into the reciever and your done

this picture is how your setup will look when done properly, these 3 photos are crude mock-ups

for low drain set-ups, use deans connectors, for high drain set-ups, use 6mm bullet connectors (upto 200a drain) both types will need to be soldered
Last edited by nick30head; Dec 16, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:39 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
the other 2 photos are the same setups but with 2 batterys for brushless motors but can be applied to brushed setups
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
Thanks Nick30 for the detail pic. It is very helpfull.

Unfortunately I need to find the PARALLEL Harness suppliers elsewhere.
I dont normally shop at ebay due to freight cost issue and setup new account.
I am just too lazy to start shopping at ebay. Not so convenient for me now.
I am an American work and live in Japan.
So, I do all my shopping at Tower Hobby when I have volume to buy.
Or from Hobbycity when I have less vilume to buy.

Local hobby shop here dont have this kind of low cost things, either people make them or buy from Kyosho finished high end goods .

I might just drive over to Kyosho home office shop to see what they have on the Parallel Harnes and at the same time check on their new RC powerboat models.

I will use the second pics as a guide to re build my Traxx Villain as my RESCUE boat to retrieve my other boats.
Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,990 Posts
As a starter, you could wire the battery to both ESCs, but you do not have enough amps to run around too much... One battery each is probably better. As for the connectors, ESCs usually come without any connector, so you will have to find the right ones on HobbyKing and solder yourself. For the currents involved, you should better switch to Deans (or 3.5mm bullets), easier to use and FAR better than Tamyia (as someone said here before: they are an accident waiting to happen)

Cornel
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
Hi Cornel ;Thanks. I will check around my inventory and see whether I have dean connectors and will look thru Hobbycity and order some.
Then i will start my dreadful task of doing soldering.
I can guarantee my soldering job will be so ugly that I need to cover it up real good
:-)
AS u can see that I dont want to unsolder the motor and resolder back due to my skill level.
So. Will 2- separate 7.2V battery pack too much for these motors ? I assume it is 380 motor or even less 370 instead. ?
The boat is 30 inch warship model and not FAST electric .

ChiChi
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:10 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,158 Posts
I ran the same setup in an inexpensive boat................dual 380's - hotter than stock. I used this esc, handled them fine on 7 cells. I simply made a parallel connector for the motors.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAMN7&P=ML

BTW, here are the motors i used.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLLT5&P=7
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Last edited by scorpion1; Dec 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add link
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:16 AM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
yes a 7.2v battery will work, if you decide to share the batt between the ESC's then a 3800mah should be ok, thats what i originally had in my 30" catamaran

my advice is to listen to what people have to say and make your mind up on how you want it done, sometimes various ideas put together work or some ideas give you inspiration on trying your ideas out

with the size of the boat,go with 1 ESC and use the parallel cable to connect ESC to motors and use one battery, far less hassle

if the ESC goes, you only have 1 to replace and same with the battery

also, most ESC's come with little notes telling you which wires do what so it's easier for recognition
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
Thanks Scorpion and Nick30 : Thanks for the ideas and info. I am taking note of it.

I will take the advice and try to do it per your suggestions.
Nick and Cornel , let me confirm this *Yes a 7.2 V battery for each motor will work ok.*
That is good i have plenty of Nicad batteries around so I will utilize it.

I have also tons of 540 motors around from the Rc F1 car I have so I can just swap it I need to.
For all who see this thread might think I am a scrooge but becauses I am in a learning curve here not want to sink any more on a worthless made boat.

I want to go back to RC electric since 10 yrs ago and to build more and not the cost reason only.
OI bought a cheap boat and spend two times the cost on freight because I want to build more and get a friendlly expert RC group.
I felt being rouged on the deal and want to salvage the Hull and drive train and have a fun time running it along with my local EXPERT peers here.
The more I learn from this group the more I can build better boats, EXPECIALLY when noL involed any SOLDERING !
:-) Ha ha
Thanks and Regards
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
no problems mate

when you get more over all experience then you can venture into world of brushless motors and setups, but for now good luck with your build and theres always people on boat forums
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:40 PM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
Thanks Nick30 and all.
appreictaed very much
ChiChi