SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:18 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Build Log
Laerke RG65 build-my 1st model boat

Well the build has begun!! This is my 1st attempt at a model R/C boat. I chose the RG65 type for it's size (26") & the Laerke in particular because it seemed like a reasonable build.
Here are a few pix of my progress so far. Eight planks down and 1000 to go (or so it seems)

I'm open to any suggestions as I progress as this is my 1st boat build. I've done plenty of scratch built planes but never a boat.

I'll continue to post as I progress.

Erle
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:31 AM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
First off mate how are you going to get the Hull off the shadows once you have plaked the hull??? From what i can see you have glued the strips of balsa to the basla shadows. What you need to do is put masking tape over the bulkheads/shadows so that way the glue will release from the bulkheads and not get glued to them
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
Old Dec 17, 2009, 03:41 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamm37 View Post
First off mate how are you going to get the Hull off the shadows once you have plaked the hull??? From what i can see you have glued the strips of balsa to the basla shadows. What you need to do is put masking tape over the bulkheads/shadows so that way the glue will release from the bulkheads and not get glued to them
I know that the "normal" way is to protect & remove the planked hull from the shadows. However I plan to use some of the shadows as bulkheads. I'll cut out the ones that I don't want. I guess it's extra work but it's what I'm comfortable with. I won't need the shadows for future use as I'll make a female mold from this hull if I want to build another Laerke. Thanks for the constructive comments tho'.

BTW -- I've only got 2 more planks to do

I'll post another picture shortly.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 01:11 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
If your going to make a mould out of her i would simply leave all the hull and everything on the board and do a male mould. That way it is alot less work and would turn out better in the long run. A glass hull will be better than a balsa glassed hull. Yes if you do a balsa finished hull and if thats the look you want, than all means of doing it becuase thats how i do them but if you are going to make a mould of her in my opion i would just do it right from the start

Help is allways welcomed,
Chris
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:56 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Well, I've made some progress. The hull is planked & sanded(mostly).

I've made the keel - 2 pieces of 1/8" balsa, 1 1/64" ply center & a 2mm cf rod for stiffness. Th one pic. shows the airfoil (er the waterfoil).

Started on the rudder (same construction as the keel)- see the pieces. The plan that I have doesn't show a location for the rudder post in the rudder. I'm thinking it should be a balanced rudder but I have no idea how much. Any suggestions? The rudder is 38 mm bottom 48 mm top & 148 mm tall.

The last 2 pix show why I've had time to work on the Laerke -- After I cleared the driveway
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:28 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Very nice job so far, werlec With all that snow on the ground, it looks like building season! Keep up the good work!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:38 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
More progress

Here's a few more pix - this is the hull after staining & 1 thin, brushed-on coat of Envirotex Lite. I still need to give it a quick sanding & "float" on the final coat. I also did a thin coat on the rudder & keel - they are done.

Pretty soon the fun begins - the rigging I've never built a sailboat, so I've just been gathering pictures of other rigging set-ups. My plan is to use a setup similar the the Victoria. It seems pretty straight forward & simple. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Especially pix of good straightforward rigging setups.
Last edited by werlec; Dec 27, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:32 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Rigging can and should be even simpler on a boat like this than the victoria... you don't really need the spreaders and jumper struts if you use carbon fiber for your mast- Mudhole.com has some smaller section carbon fiber fishing rod blanks that make great masts and they are reasonbly priced- being fishing rod blanks, these are of course tapered and very light weight-

I'm not familiar with this design but if the mast is deck stepped, all you will need is a single set of side stays, a back stay and forestay (integrated with the jib) for standing rigging- if your mast is keel stepped, you probably won't need the side stays at all-

wire (control line aircraft type) is nice, but overkill for a boat this small- spectra is a good choice too...
Last edited by Aerominded; Dec 27, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:08 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Thanks Aero!
Your sketch is what I had in mind for the standing rigging. The plan that I am using(which I can't find on my computer now)shows pretty much the same thing. A crane for the back stay & no forestay(other than the jib luff.) I guess I'll understand the pivot (with the pivot point back an inch or so on the jib boom) when I try it. It just looks kinda' strange! I calls for a keel stepped mast. The plan doesn't show spreaders(but I also don't have a front or rear view)

Thanks again!

Erle
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:51 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by werlec View Post
I guess I'll understand the pivot (with the pivot point back an inch or so on the jib boom) when I try it.
Rule of thumb on placement of the pivot point seems to be 25% - 30% (of the length of the foot of the jib) aft of the tack (forward lower corner of the sail).

Glad the sketch was useful to you. for an RG 65, I think spreaders would not be particularly useful combined with a CF mast... just added weight and drag... with a keel stepped CF mast, side stays may not be needed depending in the stiffness of the mast you choose.

save weight and drag where you can.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:35 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
I'd second the choice of spectra as it's not only strong and stretch and kink free, but it also has an "oily" touch that lets it run very smoothly. I'd rather use plain 6 mm carbon tube for the mast and 4 mm for the booms, as fishing rod blanks may be somewhat bendy. The Spectra can also be used here for binding on attachments and allowing CA to wick on afterwards, to avoid having to weaken the booms by drilling.
If your thinking of registering the boat woth the Class Association, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RG65SailboatsUS/ or http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/foru...iscussion-RG65 are useful sites to visit
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:32 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Where are you at the moment mate??? Im very interested in this build
Old Jan 03, 2010, 09:44 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Chamm,

I've finished the hull exterior(full sanding & a final coat of Envirotex). The rudder post & rudder are complete & I've started on the deck(just the king plank so far).

I've started the mast box - I need the mast(6mm carbon) before I finish it.

I'll post a couple of pix tomorrow.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 03:55 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Sweet good work mate
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:57 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Well, here's a little progress. The final coat of Envirotex - it doesn't look much different in the photo, but the finish is much smoother.

The king plank is in as well as the rudder post & a reinforced area for the keel stepped mast.

I'm waiting for my carbon spars for the mast & boom.

I've also shown the approx. location of the servos & the arm extension for the sheet. Any better suggestions? I know I have to remove or modify some of the bulkheads for clearance. I plan the use Spectrum DS821 digital servos.

It's been suggested that I use Spectra fishing line for sheeting & rigging. What pound test should I use?

Thanks all!!

Erle
Last edited by werlec; Jan 05, 2010 at 03:20 PM.