HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Oct 2009
67 Posts
Help!
making rotor blades?

O.K., I have built two successful gyros ('Mo Bettah' and 'GS-1'). I tried carving my own blades (sanded them from scratch, too much work and not the same airfoil), didn't want to buy Aerobalsa ones. So I used the tablesaw and got two sets of good, usable blades - but, how do the rest of you "make blades"? Pictures, and other tips would sure help.
Ron
Ron_Fikes is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Fikes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Ron,
We all feel your pain. There's just no way to get around some degree of craftsmanship while building your own blades. Dave has posted several very good videos of his building techniques, if you haven't already viewed them they are highly reccomended.

The AB blades are priced very well when you consider the materials and time when building your own. Some guys love them, others have been less than pleased, but I'm in the Love them column. I recently fitted my Eastern Airline profile Kellett with them and I was very pleased with the performance. There is a tendancy for a bit of flutter at very high speed, but I like to float around nice and slow.

MIA says he's got some mystery tool to build blades easily, but some type of copyright or other agreement precludes him from sharing this wonderful technology.

So when someone comes up with a Fast, Easy, Efficient way to build matched blades without the high level of craftsmanship; please post it!
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:01 AM
gyrobeetim
Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie
Joined Oct 2009
111 Posts
Hello Ron,

I am building a RPG at the moment and will be doing a step by step report on how i will tackle my blade build showing everything i use from start to finish, if your interested drop by my thread .....RPG build in Oz..... hope this is helpfull to you in some way.....regards Tim.
gyrobeetim is offline Find More Posts by gyrobeetim
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
Hi Ron,
Sorry, but I am glad to see I am not the only one out there going through a learning curve.

Martin.
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
818 Posts
May be of some help.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1135260
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Blades without the high level of craftsmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped View Post
Hi Ron,
We all feel your pain. There's just no way to get around some degree of craftsmanship while building your own blades. Dave has posted several very good videos of his building techniques, if you haven't already viewed them they are highly reccomended.

The AB blades are priced very well when you consider the materials and time when building your own. Some guys love them, others have been less than pleased, but I'm in the Love them column. I recently fitted my Eastern Airline profile Kellett with them and I was very pleased with the performance. There is a tendancy for a bit of flutter at very high speed, but I like to float around nice and slow.

MIA says he's got some mystery tool to build blades easily, but some type of copyright or other agreement precludes him from sharing this wonderful technology.

So when someone comes up with a Fast, Easy, Efficient way to build matched blades without the high level of craftsmanship; please post it!
Regards,
-Mike
Option for DIY

There is no mystery in making a good pair of matched blades if you take a simple block of wood and make an airfoil shape in reverse, basically concave, Clark Y airfoil, a basic helicopter aifoil shape design, add sandpaper to the block and sand away all night for a spare set of woodies. Balance statically and also dynamically and make adjustments so blades come out perfect. You may have to sand a few more just to get an even pair, this is the nature of wood, you may even have to preselect the wood and do density and weight checks, prior, to start on the right foot. This is the way many old timer heli and autogyro hobbiest have been making blades, including yours truly, before I got serious about starting a small manufacturing business, is not hard but it is a bit time comsuming...

To do it in mass quantities, I have said that I have made special tools to do so and the tool design time, testing and final tool, and this is only for one specific size, it is not cheap. Do I want to give away my manufacturing tool design, for eveyone to do it also? not any more than any product manufacturer would give away manufacturing trade secrets. Even if I was was in a position to offer the tool for sale, there is an additional $5,000.00-10,000.00 in the equipment to run the tool? I don't think many hobby enthusiasts can justify this, unless it is to run a small business operation, but then again these times people are building DIY CNC machines that run a lot more than that, just for the hobby... Unfortunately, without the need for high level craftsmanship you sometimes need high level equipment to do it efficiently quickly and precisely, on top of this you do need computer skills and a bit of know how on how you want to slice and dice the parts and how you want to make most efficient use of the expensive equipment in your shop.

But logically, it is best to simply buy a set already made and save yourself the work in doing it by hand, unless you really enjoy working with wood and feel up to it. I've seen a set of blades go for $30 that is $15 a single blade for an average size RC autogyro. Consider the time it takes to do one if you ever try to make one by hand and I can almost guarantee you, you will spend more than 1 hour on each blade and it may not even come out right. At $15 each blade, that is not a bad price considering also that you don't have to spend time sourcing and selecting the materials and adding additional work such as drilling perfect holes, finishing and covering them.
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Dec 17, 2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:38 PM
Finland
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Rotor blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello View Post

Option for DIY

There is no mystery in making a good pair of matched blades if you take a simple block of wood and make an airfoil shape in reverse, basically concave, Clark Y airfoil, a basic helicopter aifoil shape design, add sandpaper to the block and sand away all night for a spare set of woodies. Balance statically and also dynamically and make adjustments so blades come out perfect. You may have to sand a few more just to get an even pair, this is the nature of wood, you may even have to preselect the wood and do density and weight checks, prior, to start on the right foot. This is the way many old timer heli and autogyro hobbiest have been making blades, including yours truly, before I got serious about starting a small manufacturing business, is not hard but it is a bit time comsuming...

To do it in mass quantities, I have said that I have made special tools to do so and the tool design time, testing and final tool, and this is only for one specific size, it is not cheap. Do I want to give away my manufacturing tool design, for eveyone to do it also? not any more than any product manufacturer would give away manufacturing trade secrets. Even if I was was in a position to offer the tool for sale, there is an additional $5,000.00-10,000.00 in the equipment to run the tool? I don't think many hobby enthusiasts can justify this, unless it is to run a small business operation, but then again these times people are building DIY CNC machines that run a lot more than that, just for the hobby... Unfortunately, without the need for high level craftsmanship you sometimes need high level equipment to do it efficiently quickly and precisely, on top of this you do need computer skills and a bit of know how on how you want to slice and dice the parts and how you want to make most efficient use of the expensive equipment in your shop.

But logically, it is best to simply buy a set already made and save yourself the work in doing it by hand, unless you really enjoy working with wood and feel up to it. I've seen a set of blades go for $30 that is $15 a single blade for an average size RC autogyro. Consider the time it takes to do one if you ever try to make one by hand and I can almost guarantee you, you will spend more than 1 hour on each blade and it may not even come out right. At $15 each blade, that is not a bad price considering also that you don't have to spend time sourcing and selecting the materials and adding additional work such as drilling perfect holes, finishing and covering them.
Hello

Here is my simple tool...
It is not perfect but good enough to make some rotor blades.
Easy, fast and dusty.

Best regards
Kari
Autorotator is offline Find More Posts by Autorotator
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:56 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
Kari,
Thats an interesting tool you use

It takes me longer to make up the blade blanks than it does to sand them. I use a belt sander which takes me about an hour to profile a full set of blades.
They are not hard to make

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
Finland
Joined Apr 2009
112 Posts
Rotor blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Kari,
Thats an interesting tool you use

It takes me longer to make up the blade blanks than it does to sand them. I use a belt sander which takes me about an hour to profile a full set of blades.
They are not hard to make

Regards Rich
Hello Rich

Jep, to make that tool take me about 15min ( White glue curing ) and half about coffee break... Heh, i am retired so time is money...

Well, i only use small blades ( 38mmx350mm) for my little gyros and i think covering the blades make them work well enough for me. Them fluttering ( full balsa...) way to much but fun to fly. You newer know what happening.
They not fly like Aerobalsas blades but you can make easily 4pcs in 15 mins from 6mmx1000mm blanks.

Regards

Kari
Autorotator is offline Find More Posts by Autorotator
Last edited by Autorotator; Dec 19, 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Pictures added.