HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hopelessly Addicted
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
Discussion
IDEA: DIY Brushless ESC w/ I2C & PWM support (for quadrocopter)

Hi Guys -

I have been doing MUCH research and analysis of various setups. etc. The goal is to eventually build my own custom quadrocopter.

It seems that the high-end quads out there are using I2C ESCs. I know that some have modified TowerPros, and Rusty has created an I2C->PWM converter, but I am seeking something more elegant...

There are TONS of free schematics out there, but oddly I can't seem to find one for a brushless speed controller. It can't be that difficult, right? I'd imagine it is just 3 channels of FETs and a microcontroller - anyone have knowledge of this?

Once we have a solid circuit, we can then make our own ESCs. I am thinking to use ATMega328 w/ arduino bootloader for easy programming, but of course this is debatable.

Some of the advantages of having our own schematic:

-Can group buy and have true I2C ESCs cheaply.
-Can design the PCB in various form-factors, including a single board with multiple ESCs on it (think a single board with 4 seperate channels for quadrocopters
-Can experiment with various other aspects (feedback, rpm sensing, etc etc etc).

Comments, Questions, all welcome!

Thanks,

-Jamie
asifjahmed is offline Find More Posts by asifjahmed
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:06 PM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
470 Posts
I would add dynamic braking so as obtain some deceleration control of larger inertia props so that quad stability is not compromised when using them. Secondly, to dump the back-EMF regeneratively back into the battery.

BTW, have you check in the DIY or power sections of RC Groups? I seem to remember brushless esc schematics being in either place.

Dan
otlski is offline Find More Posts by otlski
Last edited by otlski; Dec 15, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
3 Posts
Look for Sensorless BLDC App Notes

Pick your flavor of micro and then go to their web site and search their application notes for: Sensorless BLDC

Here's a link to one for an atmel.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/p...ts/doc8012.pdf
bw4257 is offline Find More Posts by bw4257
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Feb 2009
5 Posts
Hi !
i have studied a little bit about bldc motors and their control.
but i am having problem with understanding the starting phase of bldc motor , i have read we have to bring the rotor to a known position , what is the known position ?? and how to bring it and by what technique the controller comes to know that now its the desired ??
please help me !!!!
ahmadshah is offline Find More Posts by ahmadshah
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
3 Posts
sensors or trial and error

I believe that you either need sensors to "sense" the true position, which could be done through halls, encoders, etc or you run through a sequence and try and bump the motor by trial and error. Then when/if the motor moves you can measure the back-emf and figure out where the motor is. This is most likely why typically ESC might appear jumpy at low speeds or when just starting.
bw4257 is offline Find More Posts by bw4257
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
I like arduinos.

why i2c thou? are you going for an autonomous craft or something that you control?

if you want to control it, it may make more sense to use serial so you could use something like a xbee transceiver.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:00 PM
destructive testing expert
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
I question the need for I2C. You can get great results with cheap PWM ESC, there are so many examples of these around. I mean, I2C is great but at 4x the cost it's not worth it.
dcaspi is offline Find More Posts by dcaspi
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hopelessly Addicted
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaspi View Post
I question the need for I2C. You can get great results with cheap PWM ESC, there are so many examples of these around. I mean, I2C is great but at 4x the cost it's not worth it.
While decent stability is achievable with standard i2c ESCs, there must be a reason that so many multicopters are going with i2c ESCs:

-Mikrokopter
-X3D BL
-Shrediquette
.. and others

i2c allows a faster update rate than PWM ESCs. This has been proven.

Not to mention that the microcontroller is then relieved of the strain of generating PWM pulses.

Also, with the great work of quad and Arthur P (and others), you can now modify Turnigy/TowerPro ESCs to work with i2c, so the 4x cost point is no longer valid:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...766589&page=45

-Jamie
asifjahmed is offline Find More Posts by asifjahmed
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:36 AM
destructive testing expert
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asifjahmed View Post
While decent stability is achievable with standard i2c ESCs, there must be a reason that so many multicopters are going with i2c ESCs:

-Mikrokopter
-X3D BL
-Shrediquette
.. and others

i2c allows a faster update rate than PWM ESCs. This has been proven.
You can update at ~500Hz with many PWM ESCs. I update @ 100Hz and I think it's an overkill. Why do you need more than that?
Quote:
Not to mention that the microcontroller is then relieved of the strain of generating PWM pulses.
At least with AVR (e.g., Arduino) it's done in h/w, no strain.
Quote:
Also, with the great work of quad and Arthur P (and others), you can now modify Turnigy/TowerPro ESCs to work with i2c, so the 4x cost point is no longer valid:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...766589&page=45

-Jamie
dcaspi is offline Find More Posts by dcaspi