HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
North Texas Near Dallas
Joined Jan 2003
105 Posts
Discussion
Dollar Tree Foam Board Soccer ball/Shoe

Since it seems I am always running to soccer games and practices with my kids, I decided it was time to merge their hobbies and mine. I let the kids color and draw on the plane using Sharpie markers (note Sharpie Magnum marker will eat the foam! We use standard sharpie pens) . This was built from Dollar Tree foam without any plans. The drive system is the Dynam Electric kit from HobbyPartz.com, which comes complete with ESC, Motor, 9G Servos and was on sale for $17. I am using my Spektrum 6100E receiver from my helicopter and the push rods are from a Park flier package I found at my LHS for $3 which included 4 push rods, connectors and CF tubes (omitted the tubes) The battery is a 3s 20c 430mah Eflite battery I had left over. Spins an 8x4.3 Prop. The hinges are made with Fiberglass drywall tape sandwiched and epoxied between 2 layers of foam board. This give a strong flexible joint with no need for tape. There is no carbon fiber in the construction, the "airfoil" shape was created using 1" PVC pipe using a heat gun I bent the foam over the pipe until both back and front edges touched the floor and stayed in position.

The horns on the elevons were made from some plastic angle pieces I found laying in the garage left over from running the wiring for the wall mounted TV.

Overall cost minus the radio which I had from my helicopter was
$17 ESC Speed Control, A 21 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 3 Servos, extra horns0
$2 Heat shrink pack
$2 JST connector for ESC
$2 Prop
$2 Dollar Tree Foam
$27 Battery (had already but had to add it as an expense)
$3 ParkZone control rod kit. (not sure which model it was from, but look around online I am sure you will find similar setups for cheap.

If you were to use a Hitech Cheapo FM 3 channel radio you could build this plane for under $100 easy!!

Total weight WITH battery comes in at 9 oz or maybe a hair under.
freefl2 is offline Find More Posts by freefl2
Last edited by freefl2; Dec 15, 2009 at 04:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:51 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2004
48 Posts
Those are some massive control surfaces. Have you flown it yet? It reminds me of a PBF
Demonhawk is offline Find More Posts by Demonhawk
Old Dec 15, 2009, 05:16 PM
North Texas Near Dallas
Joined Jan 2003
105 Posts
Flies great

Yes I have flown it a few times. it actually flies quite well. The control surfaces are large, but it makes for some killer tight loops, and high speed turns. I plan on putting a video up when the winds die off a bit. I would compare it to a high Speed IFO or a SLOW speed PBF. My goal was to create something with great vertical performance but some tame slow speed performance as well. I have pulled off a couple of awesome Harrier landings and it has pretty good high speed handling. I probably should have put in about 2 degrees of downward thrust, it really wants to climb when I give it more then half throttle. The "airfoil" gives it quite a bit more lift then I expected as well. I may move to a smaller prop size to tame it down a bit.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:39 PM
Australia
Joined Aug 2009
238 Posts
That is very neat, it opens up a whole new genre so to speak doesn't it???
dngo is offline Find More Posts by dngo
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
You might ought to stick a bigger heel (rudder) on for slow high alpha flight. An extra servo wont add much weight. i use big elevons on my wannabe triple threat and like them.

Got home from the band concert and the phone I was on. I really like the soccer ball look. My next wannabee triple threat will have that look. I like the sneaker too. If it flies like this one of mine, it should be a hoot to fly. I noticed that giving a little blip down on the throttle to slightly drop the nose timed with the right stick to turn is helpful in low slow high alpha flight as I don't have a rudder either. I also like the sneaker look. Round planes are just a lot of fun.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118625
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Dec 15, 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: home and on a pc
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:17 PM
North Texas Near Dallas
Joined Jan 2003
105 Posts
one of the reasons I made the control surfaces so large was to allow me to cut the elevons at an angle for rudder clearance and create a rudder from the existing "heal" without having to build a new plane if I didn't like the performance. I also placed the servos further out on the elevons to allow for the addition of rudder control. This is my first foamie but I thought far enough ahead to keep some gaps open and only partially sealed the plane to allow for additions. The only dumb thing I did was mounted the RX deep in the plane and I am going to have to make an electronics hatch on the other side to get to it. Hopefully I will get less wind and have a vid up in the next few days.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I see. That is good thinking.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf