HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,807 Posts
Discussion
RC Lander in 2010? How about a 90mm T33 Shooting Star!

2009 was a year full of cool EDFs from Tim Wan and RC Lander. The Hunter, the Mig 17 (Tims first 90mm bird) and the Cougar were all brought to market during 2009. Other neat offerings were thrust vectoring and afterburner LEDs. Tim has set a new standard in the way that he listens to his customers and responds quickly to any issues and suggestions.

What will 2010 bring for RC Lander? Rumor has it the next EDF to be released by RC Lander will be a 90mm T33 Shooting Star!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:27 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
That could be really interesting.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2005
182 Posts
I wouldn't care if it was a 70 mm or 90 mm I would buy one. I was c/c on three of them in the late eighties in the Air National Guard. Got lots of back seat time and I can tell you T-33's are really sweet airplanes. You sit up fairly high in the cockpit making the view spectacular. It was a pretty easy jet to fly also. Believe me, a really good stick man in a T-33 can put on a really great performance. I would love to have a flying model of one. I have been reading the thread on the Velocity T-33. I hope RCLander comes out with their version. My ambition is to have a flying model of every aircraft I was a crew chief on. That would be F-100, F-4, and T-33. That is a fairly ambitious project because I am not young any more. However, I now fly both electric and glow, slow and fast, and aerobatics. My main problem is I don't know about flying these fast jets. I am pretty comfortable with 60 or 70 mph airplanes but when you get up to around 90 to 100 mph that is quite different. Gotta be really quick on the sticks. I have been looking at the F-86 or Mig-15 jets to start with and get some experience flying EDF and then move on up. Anyway, love the T-33. Great jet. RCLander, build one.
Woody Mosher
n1832y is offline Find More Posts by n1832y
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
I would love to see a T-33!!My personal preference would be for one in the 70mm size.The cost goes up quite a bit when you get into the 90mm size.Either way,if R/C Lander does produce it,I am sure it will be great.I think they pretty much set the standard in EDF foam jets so far.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
766 Posts
T33

I spoke to Tim about that last month and he said they are looking into the T33 and if they did this model it would out next Christmas. I told him not to produce this model unless it was in the PVC. The PVC covering is revolutionary in my view I have 2 of the PVC Panthers and it blows me away the quality and durability.
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,854 Posts
i heard about this one a couple weeks ago, and tim wan asked me to help out with the design a little. i hope he brings it out in 90mm, that would be KILLER. id love one.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:16 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,807 Posts
He needs you, to help him make sure it passes the scale test!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:20 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,854 Posts
like i said, if its not scale, only the guys that dont know better, or dont care will buy it. if its scale(or pretty close anyhow) everybody will buy it. sounds like simple math from buisnessmans point of view(which im not)
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:26 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,807 Posts
Neither am I (a businessman) ... but that would probably take ALL of the fun out of the hobby anyway, right?

Again, if a model plane being scale is of the utmost importance, shouldn't the same rules apply when you are flying it? How is a model F-86 with too big of an intake any different than a model F-86 that can go straight up until it is a dot?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:46 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the airframe pics. Help them see the light CN....I like scale .
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:47 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,854 Posts
first off, let me say that i dont like taking anything to the flying field that looks like dog crap. on a second note, just because i prefer to have efficient ducting, cause it accualy does the job its supposed to, and i like a good amount of power and fast models, dosnt mean i never fly them in a scale like manner either. but you also have to think about "scale" speed. lets say alfa sabre for instance since your taking a jab at my 900W alfa sabre...(.which BTW crassed because i was flying it too slow) its what, around 1/13-1/14 scale or so. ok, the real one went around 670mph. ok, so as a 1/14 scale model, thats like 40mph(give or take). heck, thats not much above stall speed with a model. not to mention, it looks like its lumbering in the air instead of tearing up the sky like the real one would look. yeah, i like fast jets, who dosnt? i like them to look good on the ground and in the air...i cant stand when guys say...."cant see it when its flying" what about the other 23.95 hours of the day?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:41 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,566 Posts
I guess there are those that would be happy to fly this and call it a "T-33"

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04...artoonwp_1.htm

But the rest of us would rather it look closer to this:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircra...erbirdsT33.jpg
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:59 PM
NTM
Lloydminster, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
293 Posts
What else does lander have available with the pvc covering ?
I'm not a fan of the panthers, or any of the older stuff really.

Twin 90mm mig 29 with the pvc covering, ahhh, a guy can dream
NTM is offline Find More Posts by NTM
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:49 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
A T-33 eh? And no one asked me to help design one? Well I guess he probably doesn't know about mine, it's been awhile since it's been flying.

I built a more scale like fuselage for my Kyosho T-33 wing back in 1999. I chopped off the front from the trailing edge of the wing forward, used the stock back half, and cut an entirely new fuselage from blue foam with a more scale cross section (much closer than the orginal Kyosho had, and area ruled inlet ducting. The inlets were still larger than scale, at the time we were flying with 2400 nicads and needed the thrust we could get.

Several years later in 2004 I enlarged that drawing (I've been drawing with Desgncad since 1995), layed in a scale 3 view with some cross sections, and drew up a 46" long fuselage for a 90mm Midifan. I went with fiberglass this time, I made a plug and then made my own molds and layed up a fiberglass and epoxy fuselage.

A couple of years ago at the request of Larry Dudeck I modified the CAD plan and made it about 36 inches long (Kyosho sized) for construction in balsa and lite-ply. I adding lots of detail to the drawing for cutting bulkheads and even a wood built up wing (I've been cutting my own foam wings for a long time, it's easier than wood). He built it and had a lot of flights, here's a link to it. I really need to build one myself so that I can make a male mold for the canopy. It still had oversized inlets which still bugs me, but I didn't want to risk making them less than 100% fsa for rear of them not having enough thrust for a hand launch (which is what Larry did). Now that lighter batteries and brushless motors are around AND after seeing Corsair Nut's success with less than 100% inlets combined with high power levels, I'd feel confident making smaller inlets. However, what CN showed me even more by sticking a 90mm fan in a jet designed originally 25 years ago for a 120mm fan (turbax), is that you can use smaller fan in airframes, you don't have to use the largest fan you can get in there. With the power we have available, you may lose a few percent of static thrust by having smaller inlets and moving less air, but the excess power is there if you set it up that way. If you're ROGing, taking off with landing gear from a hard surface, static thrust and acceleration are less critical. Now granted the jet hangar planes are smaller somewhat than most other 120mm sized glow ducted fan kits, so they're even easier to make work with a 90mm Midi.

If I were to design a new T-33 now, I'd either make one the same size as my 46" for the 90mm Midifan but probably use a 70mm fan, or maybe the 75mm HW609, or I'd build it slightly larger, or I'd use use smaller inlets, probably really close to scale size (I've measured the full size airplane and have take a LOT of pictures at Chino airport. The Velocity T-33 is the same size as my midi T-33 and it uses a 70mm fan.

Ok, my T-33 juices are flowing...along with my F-4 juices, my F-18 juices, and there's some caffeine in there as well!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
766 Posts
Tim told me he is leaning toward the 90 mm size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
i heard about this one a couple weeks ago, and tim wan asked me to help out with the design a little. i hope he brings it out in 90mm, that would be KILLER. id love one.
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter