SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
I like the Antenna Tracker.............please PM me when you go to market, I'll definitely have one. Probably an OSD as well.

Can you tell me more about the protocol, is it NMEA, i.e. $GPRMC & $GPGGA

Great job!

Ian.
IanJ is offline Find More Posts by IanJ
Last edited by IanJ; Dec 16, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:37 PM
How you Doin?
USA, TX, Burleson
Joined Oct 2005
185 Posts

Someone say "bro" again!
Drakeremoray is offline Find More Posts by Drakeremoray
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:47 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,854 Posts
bro
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Dec 16, 2009, 06:12 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
I'm sure it works but I'm not going to trust moving mechanical contacts to carry any of my failesafe electronic signals.
One way to avoid problems is to use multiple contacts per ring just as many
electrical switches use multiple contacts per signal. Yes a single contact on
a ring may occasionally skip, but having as few as two per ring can drop
the chance of all contacts being out of touch at the same time, down to virtually zero
and some slip rings have more than 2 contacts per ring.
Slip rings also are essentially self cleaning because they do slide, while a simple
contact switch can fail progressively as debris (or corrosion) collects under each of
its contacts and does not move. There's no reason to be afraid of a well designed slip
ring, especially carrying relatively low voltage, non-switched signals.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,452 Posts
Ian, Iíll take your word for it. My concerns stemmed from the thought of self made (albeit CNC) moving contacts carrying a signal. If it is a commercial device used in industry for that specific purpose, then I must reconsider.

It must be a high quality device: it is made by Moog Aircraft Group. They have a plant less than a mile from my house here in Southern California.
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
MyFlydream
Does your Antenna Tracker work automatically with the data downloaded from the airplane or is it operated manually. How are you sending the telemetry, on the video or audio feed? Does it need a computer to operate?
1. It wokrs automatically. And, you can set it to manual mode.
2. telemetry data is send via the audio channel.
3. NO, it doesn't need a computer to operate. BUT, if you have a computer, you can have some extra features:
A. A Powerful GroundStation software that runs on a PC.
B. Tracking you plane in GoogleEarth in real time which is shown in my video.
C. With another GPS connects to the Laptop, you can keep the AAT system working fine even on a moving boat or car. Of course, the laptop drives the AAT instead of the FDOSD GroundStation.
D. My final goal, is to delvelope a virtual air combat system. several FlyingDream OSDs are connected with the computer, everyone can check other planes on his HUD, and lauch a "virtual missile" to attack the bad guys. That's my flying dream, LOL
myflydream is offline Find More Posts by myflydream
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:12 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myflydream View Post
1. It wokrs automatically. And, you can set it to manual mode.
2. telemetry data is send via the audio channel.
3. NO, it doesn't need a computer to operate. BUT, if you have a computer, you can have some extra features:
A. A Powerful GroundStation software that runs on a PC.
B. Tracking you plane in GoogleEarth in real time which is shown in my video.
C. With another GPS connects to the Laptop, you can keep the AAT system working fine even on a moving boat or car. Of course, the laptop drives the AAT instead of the FDOSD GroundStation.
D. My final goal, is to delvelope a virtual air combat system. several FlyingDream OSDs are connected with the computer, everyone can check other planes on his HUD, and lauch a "virtual missile" to attack the bad guys. That's my flying dream, LOL
Oh my God we must be kindred spirits, that is my dream as well.
I am in on that.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,051 Posts
Can we get in a group buy of that FPV plane? I am sure someone could collect the cash and we could buy 20 or so to the USA. Once here the person could re-ship them for a small profit.

Are those planes ready for sale? I'll take two..

-Ken
kist2001 is online now Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I live in NY, I could take the shipment and distribute the planes from here if anyone is interested.
I will take 1.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:32 PM
United States, GA, Butler
Joined Aug 2008
254 Posts
I would like it of someone on the east coast became a distributor. Come on man, you have a gold mine here, get those planes (and antenna trackers) out!.
Craig9080 is offline Find More Posts by Craig9080
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:07 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Its nice to see some competition finally arriving on the scene, your system looks very promising. There are two things I like about your system.

1) Although I maybe mistaken, the pan/tilt mechanics are integrated, which means no more having to independently source the parts and build your own from scratch.

2) The telemetry/tracker can be used without your OSD as a stand alone product (albeit some setup).

--------

I would like to know "how much setup" a system would need if we do not use your OSD.

Maybe this will finally prompt Immersion to release their standalone tracker module.

Thank you for sharing.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:47 AM
Joined Apr 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45 View Post
I would like to know "how much setup" a system would need if we do not use your OSD.

Maybe this will finally prompt Immersion to release their standalone tracker module.

Thank you for sharing.

-Chris
The AAT system accepts a standart 19200bps TTL serial signal, and it needs a 12V 2A(maximum) power supply. If you want to drive the tracker yourself, you must hava a data downlink to get the coordinates or other necessary information, analyse the data and tell the tracker 3 key values: DISTANCE, ALTITUDE and Azimuth angle.
The AAT control protocol will be available in it's manual.

For example:
A command
"D1200H215A273*[check_sum]\A"

will tell the tracker: the plane is 1200m away from home, the relative altitude is 215m, in the WEST.

Without the FDOSD, data encoding, modulation, demodulation, decoding, transfer error detection/correction, and data analysing.... must be done by your self. The RELIABILITY is always the most important. I have tried so many methods, including GMSK, FFSK, FSK.... finally, the FDOSD system can transfer data via a very bad quality auido channel, even the plane is 10KMs far away from the GroundStation, with almost any common AV Transmitter/receiver ( 900MHZ, 1.2G, 2.4G....). Of course you can use a modem radio to build the downlink. But I don't think to put one more transmitter on the plane is a good idea.

Come to a conclusion, "how much setup" depends on diffrent people.
Last edited by myflydream; Dec 17, 2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
seems to be a pretty big effort to use the ATT without the FOSD
also the OSD or board sending info has to send its orientation in degrees relative to the home point, where the home point is, instead of GPS coordinates.
you said the ATT works in a moving car if im not wrong, how does it work in that case, if its getting only an orientation?
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
Joined Apr 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00 View Post
seems to be a pretty big effort to use the ATT without the FOSD
also the OSD or board sending info has to send its orientation in degrees relative to the home point, where the home point is, instead of GPS coordinates.
you said the ATT works in a moving car if im not wrong, how does it work in that case, if its getting only an orientation?
You have to use a laptop to implement the "dynamic tracking". By connecting the FDOSD GroundStation via a USB cable, the laptop knows where the plane is. By connecting a local GPS, the laptop knows where I am.
In this situation, the laptop drives the AAT instead of the FDOS GroundStation.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:25 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Does the OSD have a Way Home Arrow and if so will it work if the ground station is moving. Do you plan on adding any flight stabilization and return to home capabilities to the OSD?
Thank you.