SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:37 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Good choice Dwalk go ahead, use 3/32 for shearwebs.
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:59 AM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
Nikolizer1 is offline Find More Posts by Nikolizer1
Last edited by Nikolizer1; Dec 23, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolizer1 View Post
I see where all of you are coming from. I know it isn't the best, so how bout I build 2 of em for myself. I'm building one for a friend. I do have the common sense to build planes, this is close to my 7th scratch build. Out of the other 6 only one was a failure. I have over ten years experience in building planes. I know the sacrifices with building a heavier plane. It will have to land fast, not fly like it should. What you guys don't see is that I am working for a guy that has over 30 years building experience and wants things build right, not weak and frail. Denser balsa and light spruce is better than 1/16 ribs and 1/8x1/4 balsa spars. You tell me which is stronger, that light wing or a wing with 1/8 ribs and 1/4x1/4 spruce spars. Many of you think its stupid to build a heavier plane, but its better to be strong than weak. Anyways, who said I was looking for a pattern plane? I'll have fast smooth flying and that is what I wanted.

Nikolizer1

Actually you did in post number seven. Below is the quote.

Quote:
Man, I printed these out and I have to say I am surprised! I already ordered wood for it. Im debating on wether to put a 25fx on for a nice smooth pattern flyer or a 46sf on a tuned pipe to make it a racer. I think the 25fx will be a better choice though. It will be a bit on the heavy side, because I will be using standard servos. When I start building the plane, I'll post pics of the build.

Nikolizer1
What you don't get so far is that you can build strength into a structure without it being heavy. Other modelers have been doing it for years. You could too!

Remember this:
When it comes to flying, all weight is your enemy because there is this thing called gravity. If there were no gravity, weight would not mean so much but then you still have mass and mass in motion can be dangerous.

You said there would be pictures posted of the build. Are they up yet?

Good luck friend, you will need it.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Quote:
I see where all of you are coming from. I know it isn't the best, so how bout I build 2 of em for myself. I'm building one for a friend. I do have the common sense to build planes, this is close to my 7th scratch build. Out of the other 6 only one was a failure. I have over ten years experience in building planes. I know the sacrifices with building a heavier plane. It will have to land fast, not fly like it should. What you guys don't see is that I am working for a guy that has over 30 years building experience and wants things build right, not weak and frail. Denser balsa and light spruce is better than 1/16 ribs and 1/8x1/4 balsa spars. You tell me which is stronger, that light wing or a wing with 1/8 ribs and 1/4x1/4 spruce spars. Many of you think its stupid to build a heavier plane, but its better to be strong than weak. Anyways, who said I was looking for a pattern plane? I'll have fast smooth flying and that is what I wanted.

Nikolizer1
Planes are build to fly, adding weight to structure will give it all but fast smooth flying, strenght has nothing to do with it.

Seems like you want to build a plane that will support a high speed crash, here is some news for you ... no plane anywhere around the globe will ever avoid mother nature rules you can build as " strong " you want results will be the same.

In those experience years you mention you've learned nothing or to little about this subject
Its never to late start reading about airplanes physics and aerodynamics, wikkipedia is an excellent resource for it.

In other words there is no ....common sense at all !!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
I can't keep arguing with you guys. How bout if one of you has a .15 for me to get for a trade, I'm in for it. Well, the wing is built. I'll use micro servos for the wing and throttle, but standard for rudder and elevator. This is terrible arguing, I don't like doing it. I was being stubborn, but I'll give it a shot if someone has a .15 for trade.

Nikolizer1
Nikolizer1 is offline Find More Posts by Nikolizer1
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Hey Nik dont get upset, I was trying to make you understand your logic was wrong and result would be bad.

Keep building the plane just follow the plan as it is, you' ll end with an excellent plane to enjoy.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:36 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarafa View Post
Hey Nik dont get upset, I was trying to make you understand your logic was wrong and result would be bad.

Keep building the plane just follow the plan as it is, you' ll end with an excellent plane to enjoy.
I could not agree more, alcafrafa.

Nik, I did a quick search a few minutes ago to see if there were some good deals on $bay for .15s and there usually are. Used .15s can often be had for a song (still true) and even some new ones can be had pretty reasonable. Here is what I found less than a week past.

Used

Item number: 330387985116

Item number: 110470963110

--------------------------------
New never run

Item number: 250549813909

Item number: 110472034541

Item number: 260523826999

Item number: 110471012398

I'm sure you can find a good project in the future for those other engines.

I hope you had a good Christmas.

Still looking forward to your build pics, No reason to stop building while you are waiting on the engine.
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
An excellent engine under 60 bucks, MAGNUM .15 XLS from towerhobbies.
Im currently building a .15 new TIPORARE will soon post some pic's.
Rafa
Old Dec 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
OS 15LA is also nice, a few bucks more.

I have picked up Norvel, OS, and Enya 15s off eBay.

I fly OS 15LA and Magnum XLS 15s in RC Combat.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:08 PM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Nov 2009
135 Posts
does anybody have the completed fuselage length,wing span and chord I could use for reference? Depending on the page scaling when I printed it, I got two different sizes (obviously). No scale seemed to be accurate and the other was print to fit page margins. I'm assuming I set it to print with no scale. Just want to confirm. Thanks
crash821 is offline Find More Posts by crash821
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:31 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
Never liked tiled plans for that reason, here you can download full plan and print it at kinkos or else, hope it helps.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146842
Old Jan 01, 2010, 12:30 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Hi,

The tiled plan was designed to print on A4, with no scaling. I have this plan also available as a single AO page in PDF, if anyone wants it, just ask.
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:25 AM
Prince George BC, Canada
Joined Mar 2009
53 Posts
The plan printed great!! Looks like I should build one or better yet get my son to build it, he needs his first scratch build. I have an os 10 is that going to be good enough It would be nice not to have to buy another engine.

Rick
mayhew is offline Find More Posts by mayhew
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:43 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhew View Post
The plan printed great!! Looks like I should build one or better yet get my son to build it, he needs his first scratch build. I have an os 10 is that going to be good enough It would be nice not to have to buy another engine.

Rick
Rick,

I haven't finished mine yet, which i am going to put an asp .12 in. I suspect my .12 will be only just adequate, in a very lighly built plane, with no under carriage. You can only but try a .10, but bear in mind you might need to buy a .15.
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,283 Posts
.10 is enough only if you build it light, mine is a real missile with magnum 15 xls and tuned pipe.

Go ahead and give it a try with a 7/4 APC propeller, im sure it will fly well.