Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 19, 2009, 02:12 PM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
I didn't build the wing upside down, but I did tilit the inner rib to get that flat top effect.

Nikolizer1
Nikolizer1 is offline Find More Posts by Nikolizer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2009, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
I just have to ask because I really don't understand so work with me.

Why would anyone take a plane designed for a .15 size engine and put anything larger on it? A .25 is nearly double and a .46 is actually more than triple the size the design was intended for.

How did anyone decide that with a .15 it would be less than Quote:
"a nice smooth pattern flyer"?

C'mon now, I know I'm not real smart like some but work with me... This ole lump of coal could shine up into a diamond someday!
LT
lightthings is offline Find More Posts by lightthings
Old Dec 19, 2009, 09:20 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Very interesting...as I expected, Lightthings.

I also wonder the same thing. The designer is going to make the design with an engine that will pull it along nicely at the least. Anything more will simply pull it along faster than the design probably needs (depending on engine size) and be heavier than the plane was made for.

KP
kpriddle is online now Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old Dec 20, 2009, 07:28 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Also, the Kaos is designed to be a nice smooth pattern flyer. If that is not what you want, pick a different design.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolizer1 View Post
I am a big fan of the kaos kits. I'll be looking forward to your uploading of the plans!

Nikolizer1
In reply to Pinecone, the above quote seems to indicate to me that Nikolizer is familiar to what and why the Kaos came to be.

This quote by Nikolizer:
"Man, I printed these out and I have to say I am surprised! I already ordered wood for it. Im debating on wether to put a 25fx on for a nice smooth pattern flyer or a 46sf on a tuned pipe to make it a racer. I think the 25fx will be a better choice though. It will be a bit on the heavy side, because I will be using standard servos. When I start building the plane, I'll post pics of the build.

Nikolizer1"

Confounds me and is why I ask for enlightenment.

First came the full size pattern job back in 1970 and it was well recieved and the clones soon followed. A dead sexy plane it is and it is not at all hard to understand how anyone would like the design a lot.

I just feel that the guys that come up with these designs are maybe a little smarter than I am.

If you want one to stick a 40 ish size engine into, here you go: http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1376
LT
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Being a pattern type aircraft, the goal is to build a light airframe that is straight and true. Overpowering such a plane will indeed make it fly faster, but with the added weight of the larger motor, will increase the wing loading, and compromise on its performance.

Plus, since the airframe was only intended for a 15, the added stress and weight of the 25 will make it weaker. A slightly hard "landing" with a 15 size engine might be fine, but with a 25 size engine i dare say something would break.

On a Different note, I am going to redo the wing ribs, the same size and aerofoil, just tidier.

Dwalk
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
When I first started to build the plane, it was much smaller than I realized it was going to be, so I am using a .25 in it. To those who question my .46 engine choice, I now know it was dumb as the plane is small. I was just making thoughts along the building process. Although many of you would find it interesting to see what a .46 would do to this size plane, it isn't going to happen.

Nikolizer1
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:10 PM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
Btw, I am using 1x4 by 1x4 spruce spars for the wings and 1/8th wing ribs which make a difference.

Nikolizer1
Last edited by Nikolizer1; Dec 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,274 Posts
1/4 x 1/4 spars and 1/8 wing ribs, trying to build a flying brick ?.
Dude you dont get the idea of wing load & light planes.
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarafa View Post
1/4 x 1/4 spars and 1/8 wing ribs, trying to build a flying brick ?.
Dude you dont get the idea of wing load & light planes.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it is called building an excuse to use a larger engine because it will never fly if you don't.

Quote by Nikolizer1:
"I don't really care about the weight of the plane, I want to build it right and use supplies I have instead of buying new stuff."

So how do you build any airplane that you intend to fly and not really care about the weight?

How can think you are bulding it right without caring how much it weighs?

Quote by lightthings:
"I just feel that the guys that come up with these designs are maybe a little smarter than I am."

I should add, 'when it comes to designing a good flying model airplane' but I still stand behind this statement.
LT
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
While I tidied this plan up, I'm not 100% sure what wood to use for the spars. I have both hard balsa and spruce on hand. I'm leaning towards balsa, with sheer webs in the middle 2 bays on each wing, with a filler piece between the spars for the 1st bay only. What do you think? Strong, and not too heavy??

Bear in mind that I won't have wheels on this model, so will be belly landing on grass. I will also add a 1/16ply rib to the centre, that extends downwards as a landing skid.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:36 AM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
Nvm, you guys aren't seeing this how I am. Lets just forget about Nikolizer1's plane designing and have positive ideas on how it will fly. Its just a prototype for me, I'm not afraid to try what try what you guys wouldn't. Who knows, it could be a very good plane......

Nikolizer1
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Nvm, you guys aren't seeing this how I am. Lets just forget about Nikolizer1's plane designing and have positive ideas on how it will fly. Its just a prototype for me, I'm not afraid to try what try what you guys wouldn't. Who knows, it could be a very good plane......
Nikolizer1
you guys aren't seeing this how I am.

Sure we dont dude !

it could be a very good plane

Dont think so, best thing to do after you finish it is ... dump it
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
Joined Oct 2008
816 Posts
Quote:

Nikolizer1
Sounds like someone else I know. Refuses to answer common sense questions and instead changes the subjuct.

Nikolizer1, please don't take things the wrong way. This hobby as about having fun and if you aren't having fun, your not doing something right.
I want to have fun and I want you to have fun.
You seem to have good communication skills from the way you use caps and punctuate your replys. Very refreshing from so many who type things like ' im gon bild mea plane i hope it flis god.'

I'm just trying to make sense of your intentions by using plain, good common sense.
By asking questions that have been so far unanswered, I am hoping that you might step back and take a closer look at things.

Would it be so wrong to try it with a .15 first and if you thought it suffered from a major lack power, try it with a larger engine though I feel that a .25 is just, well... Fill in the rest as you see fit.

I appreciate your not being angry with me or my attempts to understand this.
LT
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:10 PM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
What timber are you using for your Spars?

Shear webs in Centre 2 bays on each side?

Ribs from 3/32, sheeting 1/16?

Fuselage sides 3/32, with 3/32 balsa doublers, cross grain?

I was intending to use balsa spars with webbing, would this be strong enough?

I'm keen to start, just need to finalise construction method in my head....

Thanks for your help,

Dwalk