HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:51 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
New Product
Updated Kaos 15 Plan, Tiled PDFfor 16 pages

I've just tidied up the 65%Kaos plan, to make it fit onto an AO page nicely, and have also created a 16 page Tiled PDF of this plan, with margins printed to make it easier to connect together.

Unfortunately, photobucket doesn't allow me to store PDF Files. Can some one tell me which free hosting service would allow this? In the mean time, If anyone wants a copy, I will e-mail it to you, but be warned, It is a 330Kb file, and on a dial up connection It might download a little slow
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:56 AM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
I am a big fan of the kaos kits. I'll be looking forward to your uploading of the plans!

Nikolizer1
Nikolizer1 is offline Find More Posts by Nikolizer1
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:31 AM
United States, FL, Palmetto
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
I LOVE my 60 size Super Kaos! built it from a kit that had been stored away for 30 years or so. Wonderful aircraft!
Chris
keocak is offline Find More Posts by keocak
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
Huntsville, AL
Joined Nov 2009
134 Posts
I would like a copy emailed unless you found a way to post it online. Thanks!

csallis821@gmail.com
crash821 is offline Find More Posts by crash821
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:54 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,597 Posts
Why not just attach it here? I've attached a PDF showing the allowable file types and sizes. PDF attachments may be up to 3 MB in size.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:14 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
I didn't realise that you could upload and attach files to this site directly. Lets see if i can get this to work.

It Works! This plan is for a .15 size Kaos, a classic pattern ship that is an easy building, great flying aircraft. While material sizes are not mentioned, wing ribs are from 3/32 balsa, wing sheeting is 1/16 balsa, spars are spruce. Fuselage sides and top/ bottom are 3/32 with a 1/16 ply doubler in the front.

If anyone would like a dxf plan converted to a tiled PDF, and it can fit onto AO size paper (1189 x 841mm), let me know and i'll do my best to help.

Enjoy this plan, and if there are any problems let me know!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
Man, I printed these out and I have to say I am surprised! I already ordered wood for it. Im debating on wether to put a 25fx on for a nice smooth pattern flyer or a 46sf on a tuned pipe to make it a racer. I think the 25fx will be a better choice though. It will be a bit on the heavy side, because I will be using standard servos. When I start building the plane, I'll post pics of the build.

Nikolizer1
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:58 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolizer1 View Post
Man, I printed these out and I have to say I am surprised! I already ordered wood for it. Im debating on wether to put a 25fx on for a nice smooth pattern flyer or a 46sf on a tuned pipe to make it a racer. I think the 25fx will be a better choice though. It will be a bit on the heavy side, because I will be using standard servos. When I start building the plane, I'll post pics of the build.

Nikolizer1
Holly cow a .46 on it ? you must be dreaming, structure will not support such a stress, I ' ve send the original plans to dwalk and have build two .15 Kaos.

One of them flies @ more than 123 mph with a magnum .15 XLS, APC 7/6 and tuned pěpe think it's fast enough, I would certainly stick to .15 and even forget about .25 because of nose weight.
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
Oh wow, I did not think about stress on the airframe. Maybe I'll use a 15 on it but also mine will be heavier from standard servos and I might need the extra power to pull it around efficiently.

Nikolizer1
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,280 Posts
Oh boy !!!! Std servos will not fit inside a narrow space like that one, besides being to heavy for a .15 .
Better buy sub-micro servos like hitec hs55 or 85
Old Dec 18, 2009, 01:19 AM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
Alcarafa,

I've tidied the plan up as you can see, but can you confirm that the wing thickness is right? And what construction method did you use for the wing? I think it is a sheeted front 1/3rd of the wing with capping strips in the middle. For the trailing edge, is the edge only a thin 1/8th by a 14 strip, with 3/4 inch sheeting against it. I'm not 100% sure on how to interpret the trailing edge constuction. Any suggestions orphotos?

Heres what gear i intend to set up in the plane

I have bought the timber, and ordered a light weight battery pack. I'm going to use a 2s 500 mah Lipo (31gm) hooked up to 6v 3 amp regulator. For a total battery weight of 38gm inc connections.

Servos. I have HXT 900 servos on hand, but will use 1 servo per aileron connection, for simplicity of trimming. Since i will be using seperate servos in each wing, would a HXT 500 surfice here?

Push rods. I love pull pull systems, both for there really precise control and lack of flutter, and there lack of weight!

Tailplane. While the construcion shown on the plane looks really light and strong, i'll use an alternative method that i discussed earlier. 3 laminations of 1/16 balsa, all at 60 deg to each other, with the center piece's grain running lengthwise. Lightening holes will be drilled to keep weight down as well. I glue the pieces up inbetween glass sheets to keep them perfectly flat.

Engine. An old ASP 12 is what i have on hand, hooked up to a 7x4 or 8x4 APC prop.

I am going to build this as light as possible, so will emit landing gear and hand launch and belly land it. All suggestions on how to save weight will be gladly recieved!

Hope everyone enjoys the plan and plane,

David
Old Dec 18, 2009, 07:07 AM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
I don't really care about the weight of the plane, I want to build it right and use supplies I have instead of buying new stuff. I have to finish building an Ultra Sport 1000 before I begin this build. Yes you calculations are right with the plans that were made. The leading edge piece of wood is a 1/4x1/2 stick and havent measured how long it should be. I ordered plenty of wood, enough for 2-3 of em. I'm going to be putting in the trike gear set up in the plane, so ribs 2 and 3 will be plywood. The center section will be glued together with 2 oz cloth as well.

Nikolizer1
Old Dec 18, 2009, 08:30 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,280 Posts
David I ' ve build 2 KAOS one wing as shown in plans and other one foam , to my likes foam one is better and stronger.
I used 1/4 x 1/2 " TE in build-up and foam wing, half wings joined with 2 " fiber glass cloth & 30 min epoxy.

Tail feathers made from 1/4 x 1/4 all around.

Also used HX900 servos all around (2 for ailerons ) and carbon fiber push rods, dont think 500's will support the stress.

I 'd use a 7/4 apc propeller IMO 8/4 will become heavy for that engine.

Hope it helps.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
Nitro Buster
PA
Joined Aug 2007
41 Posts
Hmm, I'd have to say that I'm going to build a wooden wing for mine. The wing only has 7 ribs in one side and is very simple to build up. I don't have a foam cutting machine anyways.

Nikolizer1
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,280 Posts
Nik dont forget to build wing upside down, KAOS wing is a flat top wing dihedral is given with difference of ribs.
Check the attached file & see what i mean.