SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Minibichus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:04 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Discussion
The MB-7/UAV

== UPDATE: Apr-4-10

The MB-7/UAV has been flying uninterruptedly and without a hitch since the last update in Dec-31st. No crashes to report to date (knock on wood) and it hasn't required any repairs or maintenance either (more knock on wood). I am extremely pleased with its outstanding reliability and flight characteristics. After flying the MB-7 for this long I can safely say that it has outperformed and outlasted, by an ample margin, the 6th generation series in pretty much every department.

I foresee a long operational life in the MB-7/UAV future, much like its smaller sibling the MB-3.

The MB-7/UAV is now scheduled to participate at the Orlando TORCHS funfly in May 1st.

See you there.

G.

== UPDATE: Dec-31-09

One last update for the last day of the year. The MB-7/UAV new video TX got lost in the mail, not sure when I'll get it, or if I'll get it but I had time to work on the turret mechanics and the turret now rotates with the camera inside. I did some weathering, added grilles, started doing all the rivet work and replaced the DELight controller with the one from the MB-6D which got one that was damaged from the 7 so now the front light works and can act as a landing light as well.

Added a video of the turret rotation.

G.

== UPDATE: Dec-20-09

Got to spend some time flying at the field this afternoon and after some modifications I got the OSD/GPS mostly dialed in. I did record a 34 minute session on the TX since first spool up using the non-final pack but I'd say I landed the heli a bunch of times in between to adjust things so that should be factored in.

Amp draw definitively goes down on the 7 when it starts flying forward, way more than it did for the 6D in forward flight, so I wouldn't be surprised if 30+ minutes were actually within the realm of possibilities, provided that the helicopter is flying forward that is. We shall see. I've spent 8 months tinkering and data-logging on the MB-6 and I was able to push flight times from 10 minutes to 18 so it is still too early to accurately say what the 7 will do when its all said and done. I will probably get the SK-720 to replace the current electronics package and that will be a big enough change to grant for a new revision model: MB-7A.

I already have nearly 100 flights on the 7 since its maiden but only a handful of those flights that I've datalogged are in the open where I can put it through its paces and get real world telemetry to then make the right decisions.

G.

== FIRST POST:

The MB-7/UAV is now officially the largest and most powerful helicopter in the fleet. At almost 8 pounds AUW it dwarfs the veteran MB-6D. It has incredible flight characteristics that go beyond the MB-6D capabilities, even with 12 mph winds. The MB-7/UAV can hover hands free for nearly 30 seconds under calm conditions and it can fly in any direction/orientation, including inverted which the MB-6D couldn't sustain for very long due to limited collective travel on the swashplate.

The 7th generation, built upon the success of the veteran MB-6D, starts a new era for it shall become the benchmark by which all future scale MB generations are based upon.

-- Here is the first flight video in the open, after nearly 2 weeks of testing on the MB-Base, I mean, backyard ...

MB-7/UAV at the Orlando Helicopter Blowout. (Hughes 500 TOW Defender) (4 min 12 sec)

The video system that was tested on the MB-6C/UAV passes down onto the MB-7/UAV but with the addition of an OSD and a GPS module for long range navigation.

-- Here is the first tests flight for the night vision system. This was filmed Sunday ~7 pm after the Orlando Helicopter Blowout was over. The voices speaking are from some of my friends, I think most of us were from all over the world, Israel, Turkey, Spain....A bunch of us stayed until nightfall to see the MB-7/UAV do what it was built to do, to own the night.

MB-7/UAV Night Vision system flight test. (Hughes 500MD TOW Defender) (4 min 12 sec)

-- Video of the turret mechanics.

MB-7/UAV Camera Turret Test (0 min 56 sec)

Here are some still pictures that my friend took with his SLR camera.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Last edited by Minibichus; Apr 08, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts